Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fostering (Woof)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Fostering (Woof)

A couple days ago we learned of a pair of black lab girls at a shelter in Georgia. This particular shelter boasts an 86% kill rate, most after only being giver a week or so to be adopted. Dogs go in, but few come out. These two got lucky once, but were first on the list to be put down this morning.

Until yesterday.

They are now being boarded with a vet until I can drive down to pick them up next week. And then Mrs. Cardinal added two more. Yes, we will be fostering four young dogs until we can find them a new home. All are girls. All are less than a year old. Three are black and one is tan. I will post pictures and Cyburbians are always welcome to adopt.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Me thinks you are going to have some new permanent furry family members. Just ask Veloise
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2006
    You are brave indeed although I shouldn't talk. I'm waiting for the people from a local rescue to get back to me about a dog I saw on their web site. Like I need a second dog ... but he's an old dog that needs a home, so if he tolerates cats and my dog tolerates him, then we'll add to the family.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Good for you and Mrs. Cardinal! I am assuming all breakables are over tail high.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Good for you and Mrs. Cardinal! I am assuming all breakables are over tail high.
    Since they are labs we are more concerned about chewables. But Luke is looking forward to being the alpha of a larger pack (all girls!) and he will keep them in line. We have word that the first two were looked over by the vet and are in good shape with no worms or other issues. There is a possibility that one of the other girls may already have a home.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Awesome!

Our dogs are rescued/adopted, and both were fostered prior to adoption. We were able to talk with the foster parents and get an idea of temperment, etc before bringing each one into the house. Fostering is something I've thought about, but doesn't work right now with our schedules. I'd take in a couple to foster if I could, but I might flunk fostering. I love dogs and would end up with a large furry brood!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Since they are labs we are more concerned about chewables. But Luke is looking forward to being the alpha of a larger pack (all girls!) and he will keep them in line. We have word that the first two were looked over by the vet and are in good shape with no worms or other issues. There is a possibility that one of the other girls may already have a home.
    ROTFLMAO! Unless his girl pack are all low-dominance girls, ol' Luke is gonna learn real fast that GIRLS RULE in the dog world.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    ROTFLMAO! Unless his girl pack are all low-dominance girls, ol' Luke is gonna learn real fast that GIRLS RULE in the dog world.
    Hmmm... For the ten years they were together our first boy (who was a year older) was really the leader, but let our girl be the alpha. Because he was a puppy and she was eleven at the time, she continued to be the alpha when Luke came along. Lizzy is the scrappy one now, and despite being 20 pounds lighter she has taken down Luke when they wrestle, but he has never taken her down. Still, she defers to him as the top dog. I suspect the girls will do the same because they are all young, but it will be fun to watch.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Hmmm... For the ten years they were together our first boy (who was a year older) was really the leader, but let our girl be the alpha. Because he was a puppy and she was eleven at the time, she continued to be the alpha when Luke came along. Lizzy is the scrappy one now, and despite being 20 pounds lighter she has taken down Luke when they wrestle, but he has never taken her down. Still, she defers to him as the top dog. I suspect the girls will do the same because they are all young, but it will be fun to watch.
    Age also counts for a lot in dogdom, with maturity conferring a rise in dominance. When my dog Rusty was young, he was definitely at the lower end of the dog pack hierarchy but as he aged, he rose in status. I'm not sure if that was because younger dogs are naturally deferential to older ones or that he just asserted himself more. To the end, though, he always remained respectful of the ladies.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Me thinks you are going to have some new permanent furry family members. Just ask Veloise
    Hah. Adding a second kitty is way different than a six-pack of doggies. (I guess. Most cats I ever had was four, and that was too many.)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It appear that we have somebody who wants to adopt Marsha, the brown lab puppy.

So now we will only be picking up three dogs to foster.

So with our own two, that will bring the total to five.

For now...

Because...

Janie is pregnant!

Registered
    Jul 2006

Close Call

Working out in the field at my country place this weekend when this dog suddenly appeared at warp speed about 10 feet behind me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0319.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	5102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0320.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5103
    Scared the crap out me at first and then I realized that I had seen it out by the road the day before and it was friendly. Found out later that it's a stray that my neighbor has taken in. That's good. Unfortunately, he's not much of pet owner and it likes us better. That's bad. It wants to adogpt us.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Who is Janie?

It appear that we have somebody who wants to adopt Marsha, the brown lab puppy.

So now we will only be picking up three dogs to foster.

So with our own two, that will bring the total to five.

For now...

Because...

Janie is pregnant!
    Mrs C ??

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Where in GA? Kid and I are really wanting a dog; RJ is ambivalent but would cave given the right dog. He does want a lab/lab mix.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Mrs C ??
    Naw, Janie is not Mrc. C, she is a black lab.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The dogs are about 20 miles south of Atlanta. The mother/saughter pair are posted on our dogblog, http://arescuedogstale.wordpress.com/. We do not know a lot about them other than they tested negative for worms and otherwise are healthy, and that they have a sweet disposition. I do not have a photo of the pregnant girl, although I did see it posted on the rescue site. (It is down now.) Of course, you could always wait for a puppy, too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Looks like Janie is not pregnant after all. She had a life-threatening infection that caused swelling that they misread as a pregnancy, but the vet got to it in time. Our first two are going to be headed our way tomorrow, arriving Saturday. Dog #3 is adopted and heading off to a new home in Vermont (mmmmm... maple syrup). I will be going to Georgia to pick up Janie next week, and bringing at least one other dog back with me. Possibly a couple puppies too.

Sad story: The dog we hope to add to our list is a very good looking black lab puppy. He and his brother were found along a highway, and his brother had been hit by a car. This poor dog was seen pawing at his dying brother and crying. He now is in a cage at a high kill shelter, hanging his head and sad. We are hoping that my Luke-dog will be able to cheer him up. He is available for adoption, but I have this feeling that if we get him here, he will end up staying forever.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Aug 2005, 5:06 PM