Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning permission research- feedback wanted pls

Planning permission research- feedback wanted pls

Hi

I'm a town planner based in Sydney, Australia. I'm undertaking research on how other planning systems communicate planning information to the public.

Q1- How does your planning system inform the public about what type of building work does not require planning permission? eg. via legislation, videos, fact sheets, websites, etc.

Q2- Could your planning system communicate better this type of information? How and why?

Thanks!

Eli Gescheit

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by theplanningboardroom View post
    I'm a town planner based in Sydney, Australia. I'm undertaking research on how other planning systems communicate planning information to the public.

Q1- How does your planning system inform the public about what type of building work does not require planning permission? eg. via legislation, videos, fact sheets, websites, etc.
    Everywhere I have worked we list on our website what needs a permit. It is implied that if it is not on the list, no permit is needed. At the planning counter we have a sheet with what needs a permit.

Quote Originally posted by theplanningboardroom View post
    Q2- Could your planning system communicate better this type of information? How and why?

Thanks!

Eli Gescheit
    I'm not sure outreach to the development community or homeowners has much ROI. The developers all know where to go and what to look for. As far as contractors or homeowners, cutting down on who tries to get away with stuff is difficult and hard to be proactive about. I guess I'm admitting I don't know how to make this aspect of planning any better.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Jun 2013, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 12:21 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:29 AM