Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MA: Urban Studies

Registered
    Jan 2013

MA: Urban Studies

Hello there,

I'm interested in gathering more information regarding the master's degree of sciences in Urban Studies. I would like to ask and/or require more information regarding the curriculum, the student requirements, etc.
    First, let me introduce myself - I am a second-year student, currently studying a bachelor in sciences in Landscape Architecture in Jette, Brussels. Once completing this course, I'd like to study some in-depth, an academic and research course, rather than going on to study various designer courses e.g. MA in Landscape Architecture or Urban Design. I'm fairly artistic, but I'm an avid reader of various sciences and firstly would like to study a course which involves a more analytic and academic mind. I would rather study the technicality of the urban cities first, rather than delving into the design world head-first. First, I'd like to gain the appropriate knowledge before designing.

At my current course in Jette, I see and learn the basics of all sciences concerning Landscape Architecture, but I would like to go deeper and delve into field-work and research. I'm rather disappointed in how the theory goes at Erusmus Hogeschool Brussel, it's basic - I'd liked it to be a tad more official and academic - therefore I read books on urban design by Jan Gehl, various books on landscape architecture - I've recently picked up a book on collapses of societies by Jared Diamond.

My concern is will I be able to follow up my knowledge of Landscape Architecture into Urban Studies? Will I be a suitable student? Also, does this course use various designer programs e.g. AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc?

Kind regards,
    Walton

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Anyone willing to give me some answers? Sorry for the breaking the double posting regulation, but it seems more recent topics have been replied to. Quite a few views, but no reply. I would like to gather some information regarding my previous asked questions.

Kind regards.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Sundays have little activity on this board. Have some patience. In the states persons with your background and interests most often pursue an urban planning masters degree. These are two-year programs leading to a masters. A bit of research around the Americam Planning Association's web page provides a wealth of information on the topic at www.planning.org

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Replies: 32
    Last post: 05 Jul 2010, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Jun 2010, 8:42 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Jul 2009, 11:25 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 1:07 AM