Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hug hug hugging

Registered
    Feb 2004

Hug hug hugging

I see on the Cyburbia calendar that today is National Hugging Day. No doubt many of us will both give and receive hugs today (and but for this thread also completely unaware of the act's significance on this particular day).

Because of my radio show group, I associate with many actors, directors, and writers - lots of different folks involved in the arts community. One thing I have found is that people in the arts community love to hug. They pretty much hug everyone if it's been longer than two days since last seeing you. They hug hello, they hug goodbye, they hug after a successful show, they give conciliatory hugs if the show didn't go so well. At first all the hugging took me by surprise and I was a little uncomfortable, but right off the bat I have to confess there were certain people you wanted to.... hug ...more than others. Hey, I'm human and I guess that's the part of the whole exercise. Yes, all the hugging going on in the arts world is ostensibly platonic, but I can't help but wonder if the practice originally got started for less altruistic reasons (probably some producer whose wife caught him in the arms of Another who lamely suggested 'oh Honey, it doesn't mean a thing - everyone in the theater hugs').

At any rate, hugging introductions are seen as perfectly normal and will no doubt continue to be considered so in the forseeable future in the arts community. Now hugging in planning circles......much less common. You might see I little hugging going on at conferences where colleagues meet up who haven't seen each other in months or years, but for the most part, our business seems to have a highly impersonal focus. Maybe that's borne of necessity because of the focus on maintaining an appearance of impartiality is so strongly ingrained in our profession?

Are you a hugger? When your friends see you approach do they roll their eyes and mutter under their breath 'here comes Leo Buscaglia Jr.' Do you know or work with anyone who is a hugger? Would you say that some families are bigger huggers than others?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Not a hugger although I will reciprocate if hugged, especially if the hugger is uh, well you know, like Maister said.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm a goodbye hugger if I know and like you.

In 7th grade we had an assignment where we had to hug seven people in one day. It was more difficult then it sounds.

My godmother took some flak from my BIL when she once pronounced, "in this family we hug" and proceeded to give him a big hug. He is shy and anti-social so it didn't go over well.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I know a number of people who do the creepy Dr. Sheldon Cooper "hug with little or no physical contact". Couldn't find a picture to illustrate it, just watch Big Bang Theory if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Except for my kids, I'm not a hugger. There are exceptions, but I don't go looking to hug people.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Didn't used to be a hugger, but I evolved. Weekend scorecard is pretty good:

Friday night church singles group: four of us hugged each other (one is somewhat standoffish, and he oughta work on that).

Sat am: warm handshake from one of my former city hall buds, which almost became a hug. (I'll get one from our mayor this Sat.)

Sat pm: several first-time hugs from FB buddies at the English country dance (my post-op return to the activity) and a three-way with my mentor and his wife.

Sun am: shoulder squeeze from minister, a couple more one-armed hugs from various congregants.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I will occassionally hug someone I know, but usually it is more often to reciprocate. I am German, after all. On the other hand I frequently hug the dogs.

When I began reading this post I got the image of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, when he hugs Ned... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkW_ZkMtmlQ

It is about 3 1/2 minutes in.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh, and if I'm not here, could someone else break out the electric cattle prod if ursus gets anywhere near this thread? Thanks in advance!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm not much of a hugger unless I'm in a situation (wedding, funeral, family reunion...) that pretty much requires hugging.

Maister, as for Leo Buscaglia, somewhere around here I've got a polaroid of him hugging me at a booksellers convention back in the '80's.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    No hugger here. But I can make an exception if ZG is laying on top of me in a state of nudity.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    It's Squirrel Appreciation Day AND National Hugging Day. If you appreciate a squirrel, let him hug your nuts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    It's Squirrel Appreciation Day AND National Hugging Day. If you appreciate a squirrel, let him hug your nuts.
    Now that is funny.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh, and if I'm not here, could someone else break out the electric cattle prod if ursus gets anywhere near this thread? Thanks in advance!
    I'm sorry, I was off-line yesterday. Umh, it goes without saying that I am a hugger. I'm an affectionate guy, I can't help it. Now, professionally I don't often see the need for hugging. I just don't. Family, friends, you folks....Hug you everytime I get the chance. yep.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I would, but squirrels have rabies and sharp claws.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. hugging guys
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Apr 2013, 1:46 PM