Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Who's attended NYU? Berkeley? UIC?

Registered
    Nov 2012

Who's attended NYU? Berkeley? UIC?

Hi everyone,

Just asking a general question and getting a "feel" for what people have thought about some grad programs in urban planning. I am looking to apply for Fall 2014 and starting to think about where I'll be applying this fall.

I went to the University of WI - Milwaukee and got a 3.6 GPA (3.77 in my urban planning certificate courses). I'm looking to go to a school in a large city and so I've been looking at places like Berkeley, or NYU (also UIC, which is where I live now Chicago).

As a part of the researching process I've asked some friends who went to graduate school for advice but none of them are in this field. They, and some books, have advised that I contact faculty. However, I many of my friends are in the physical sciences and are doing research for a PhD. Is contacting faculty a necessary part of the process?

I'm curious as to any advice that you can offer, and I'm sure it'd be helpful for others too.

Thank you!

Registered
    Oct 2011
    Hey there! I currently go to NYU for Urban Planning. About 6 months into the program, I was hired full-time doing a job I love in the transportation industry with no prior transportation experience. I definitely think the fact that I was enrolled in a Masters program helped me land the job. I would say that NYU is great for networking and building connections in the city, and it's great for building policy and analyst skills, but I'm not convinced it would be the best program if I had wanted to be a traditional planner. While I didn't reach out to any faculty before applying, I definitely know of people who did. It's not uncommon at all, and if you have time, I'd suggest you do. Talking to a faculty member after I was accepted helped me seal the deal and decide it was the right school for me. Best of luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 04 Apr 2010, 3:21 PM
  2. UC Berkeley
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2007, 7:18 PM
  3. LSE vs Berkeley
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Mar 2007, 9:55 PM