Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Inquisition: WSU MUP Student

Registered
    Feb 2004

The Inquisition: WSU MUP Student

[theme song and audience applause] Hello and welcome to The Inquisition, the show where people from the studio audience get grilled. Our guest this week is NOT a volunteer (but is always a good sport); everybody let's please welcome WSU MUP Student [audience applause]
    So WSU MUP Student, I'll ask the first few questions and then we'll open up the floor to our studio audience to put their own questions to you.

- first off, why the hell havent you requested a name change years ago...WSU MUP Student???
    - second, tell us a brief story about being in harm's way
    - did you start a garden of any sort this year, and if so how's it doing?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am honored and humbled on being voluntold to the inquisition.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    - first off, why the hell havent you requested a name change years ago...WSU MUP Student???
    - second, tell us a brief story about being in harm's way
    - did you start a garden of any sort this year, and if so how's it doing?
    1. I finished grad school in 2009 and have been considering a name change since it became available but it took us three or four days after our daughter was born to come up with a name for her so you can only imagine how difficult picking a new Cyburbia name would be for me. It's hard to take a decision such as this so lightly
    2. I earned a Combat Action Ribbon in Kosovo in 1999 for coming under fire while working at a refugee camp but I never felt any real fear or danger. Maybe it was a combination of being young and invincible and outright stupidity. But a year later we were off the coast of Israel having just left Malta when the USS Cole (which was in port in Malta at the same time as us) was attacked in Yemen. I was in the ship's SCIF when the messages came across and we immediately went into general quarters. I was there working on some personnel issues but watching the sailors who were in charge of the ships security start working faster than I had ever seen before made me fearful like I never was in Kosovo.
    3. I did indeed start a garden this year: Green beans, watermelons, beats, corn, onions, tomatoes, peppers, celery, lettuce. I got a late start but it was cool here until last week really and I think that late start might have saved me. The garden looks to be going great and I am excited that it will be a good crop this year (the celery and the peppers are doing awesome already). But just as in the past couple years, I've been concentrating on my flowers and perennials much more and they are coming in great - this fall I should have some beautiful mums all around the front.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    - have you had any high school classmates die yet (that you know of)?
    - the military uses thousands of acronyms and in fact even has formalized rules of construction concerning their use/creation. What is your favorite military acronym?
    - what is a somewhat obscure movie that you'd recommend?
    - siblings? How many?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I'll ask a question that I know will throw WSU MUP Student through a loop...

...favorite band?
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What drives your love of Sour Patch Kids?

What motivates you to run?
    Have you always been a runner?
    What is your favorite running memory?
    Have you ever run in the nude?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Why did you volunteer for the USMC?
    What do you guys really think of the Navy?
    Favorite/least favorite port of call?
    What did/do mom and dad do?
    Earliest memory?
    Most famous WSU alum, in your opinion. Why?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2007
    - have you had any high school classmates die yet (that you know of)?
    - the military uses thousands of acronyms and in fact even has formalized rules of construction concerning their use/creation. What is your favorite military acronym?
    - what is a somewhat obscure movie that you'd recommend?
    - siblings? How many?
    A very close friend of mine who was a year older than myself took his own life in 2007. His father was suffering from an ALS-like disease and he could see the early symptoms developing in himself and couldn't deal with it. His death is the only one I can think of of my age cohorts from school though I did have a couple of close Marine Corps friends, who were my age or are a year older/younger than myself that met an early demise (one in a car accident and another in a work mishap).

I've never really thought about the acronyms that much but the I always thought the longer, the better. I had a secondary MOS (there's a short acronym for you) of 0511 - MAGTF Planner (Marine Air Ground Task Force). I had friends that worked at 2nd ANGLICO (Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company) and I always liked that too because ANGLICO looks like "angelic" to me but there isn't much angelic about gunfire. I always liked the Naval language and Marine Corps made-up mnemonic devices better than the acronyms. Here's two good ones to chew on "JJ DID TIE BUCKLE" and "Fred Uses Extra Eggs Cooking Fried Chicken Legs"

I used to have a lot of obscure movies in my head but now with fatherhood I don't have as much time or desire to watch movies and I've forgotten a lot over the years. However I do like Wes Anderson's directorial debut, Bottle Rocket, and I can always enjoy a good Troma movie - all of which are now available for free on YouTube. Tromeo and Juliet might be my favorite.

I am the youngest of 5 - there is a 14 year age difference between me and my oldest brother. I have two brothers and two sisters. We are all from the same parents and I have often been told that I wasn't an accident, but more of a surprise... my mom was surprised she could still have kids! To make things more scary, when I was in junior high my mom got pregnant again but miscarried. There would have been a 25 or 26 year age difference between that child and my oldest brother.

Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    I'll ask a question that I know will throw WSU MUP Student through a loop...

...favorite band?
    Ugghhh! That will make my head explode! But lately I'd say Wilco. I can listen to most of their stuff (especially Being There, AM, Summerteeth, YHF, and Kicking Television) on repeat all week long. Drive-By Truckers, Flaming Lips, Dinosaur Jr., Superchunk, Will Oldham, and Yo La Tengo are some others that are often being played around the house. Beach Boys and Randy Newman are great too but I like to focus on stuff from my lifetime when picking favorites.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    What drives your love of Sour Patch Kids?

What motivates you to run?
    Have you always been a runner?
    What is your favorite running memory?
    Have you ever run in the nude?
    It's not just Sour Patch Kids but all gummy candy in general. I have always had a sweet tooth and I really enjoy chocolate but I think I like that the gummy candy is usually fat free and you can buy it in bulk much cheaper than good chocolate stuff.

I use running as therapy and relaxation. Yes, a 20 mile Sunday morning run can be very relaxing. When I am running it is usually my only time to be alone so I really cherish it. I love being able to put on my headphones and just cut out the world for a while (though I do enjoy running without headphones too).

When I was in the Marines I never ran more than the bare minimum, except for being voluntold I would be running a marathon once in 1998 in Japan. Not long after I got out of the Marines in 2006 or 2007 a friend was headed down to Detroit to pick up his Detroit Marathon registration and told me he would buy me lunch if I went with him. He coerced/goaded me into running it with him, even though I had probably never run more than 7 or 8 miles at once (though I was biking 200+ miles a week at the time) and I ended up nearly beating him. I've been running ever since.

During the above marathon I started out great and was beating my friend through the first 20+ miles (looking at the stats afterwards I had about 10 minutes on him at one point) and then at mile 22 I hit the wall and he came out of nowhere and ran past me. I wanted to tackle him but the laughter between us was too much. I kept pace with him to the finish but he had already made up enough time that he was destined to beat me. Definitely one of my favorite running memories.

I have never run in the nude and have never had a desire to.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I have never run in the nude and have never had a desire to.
    This is where you and I differ...

- Toilet paper - Over or Under?
    - Have you used your sock... you know, to wipe?
    - Longest run?
    - Fastest 5K?
    - Highest mileage week?
    - Best run location?
    - Running shoe brand? Are you consistent, or do you wear whatever is cheapest?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My usual must ask:

Star Wars or Star Trek
    Kirk or Picard
    When you run do you ever imagine a little green guy that talks funny on your back?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What is your typical running apparel?
    What color pants are you wearing today?
    Ever pierced any part of your body? Ever pierced a friend?
    Do you have a USMC tat?
    Do Marines really say, "hoo hah" to each other?
    Did I spell "hoo hah" correctly?

Have you ever eaten a gummy shark?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Why did you volunteer for the USMC?
    What do you guys really think of the Navy?
    Favorite/least favorite port of call?
    What did/do mom and dad do?
    Earliest memory?
    Most famous WSU alum, in your opinion. Why?
    True story - I enlisted only because I am a nice guy and just couldn't say no to the recruiter. I am very easy going and I figured, "What the heck? This can't be too bad!" No regrets.

Marines like to talk joke about the Squids being inferior but I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the branches, especially for the Navy Corpsman who often go through much more rigorous and physical training than many Marines. The thing that most grates the nerves of Marines about the sailors is being aboard a ship (or a Naval station) and seeing the woefully out of shape sailors. Being an E-5 or above and being out of shape and overweight would never fly in the Marine Corps. You would not be able to get promoted or re-enlist like that.

Pattaya Beach, Thailand was a great port but now I'm too old and wise to enjoy it there. I think Dubrovnik, Croatia or Tarragona, Spain might be my overall favorites. Great beaches, beautiful women, great bars, and a lot of historic stuff to see. Palma de Mallorca, Spain had the best beaches but besides the beach and the bars, there wasn't much to do.

My dad was a gentleman farmer (if such a thing still exists... significantly more that a hobby farm, but he didn't make his career at it) and was a plant manager for an auto supplier. My mom was a pharmacist. Both are long retired now but dad still farms and mom works part-time at a craft store.

My earliest memory is where the bread aisle was in the Kroger by my house that shut down (moved to a different location) when I was about three and a half. Another memory from about the same time was getting to sleep in a relative's pop-up camper for a few nights when they came to visit from Texas.

Wayne State has never been known for athletics (in my lifetime at least) and I don't count locally famous business people or politicians, and scientists are rarely famous even locally so that leaves the performing arts which WSU has a pretty good reputation with for a school of its size. I always site S. Epatha Merkerson, Lt. Van Buren from Law & Order and Reba the Mail Lady on PeeWee's Playhouse, as our most famous alum. Some might pick somebody else but I loved Law & Order so I always pick her.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    This is where you and I differ...

- Toilet paper - Over or Under?
    - Have you used your sock... you know, to wipe?
    - Longest run?
    - Fastest 5K?
    - Highest mileage week?
    - Best run location?
    - Running shoe brand? Are you consistent, or do you wear whatever is cheapest?
    Toilet paper must be over!

A sock? No, cannot say that I have. I did have an unfortunate trip to the Cracker Barrel once though that ended in the disposal of another garment.

Longest run was a 50k that I've done a few times. I've never timed myself on it, and it's an organized run in the loosest sense of the word. My buddy and I would always do it each January and our goal was to just run the whole thing together and then go to the bar afterwards. I think we were usually right about 5 and a half hours.

Fastest 5k since I've been keeping track is 20 minutes 53 seconds. However, when I was in the Marines, I could almost always get my 3 mile PFT run in under 19 minutes. I imagine I could have done a 5k in about 19 flat at the time. I haven't run an organized 5k in a few years though because I'm too cheap and the 10k (and more) are usually a better value. However, I recently decided that after the Marine Corps Marathon in October, my next immediate goal will be a 5k under 20 minutes.

Highest mileage week was last week actually with 63.4 miles. Looking ahead at my schedule, there should be a few weeks in September where I flirt with 70 miles.

I really enjoy running near my house, as lame as that sounds. I can find a good selection of dirt roads and trails, and I enjoy running into the neighborhoods with all of the multi-million dollar estates. Yesterday morning I ran to and through historic Franklin, Michigan which is the picture perfect definition of the word "bucolic" or "Americana" and running through there, it's hard to believe you are in the middle of a metro area with more than 4 million people. Go for a tour: Franklin, MI in Google Streetview. If I traveled more and had time to explore when I do travel, I am sure I could find some other places more interesting. I did run all the way around Lake Union in Seattle a few years ago which was pretty cool and I want to find a marathon in a high altitude to do next year (like Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Salt Lake City) because I think that would be interesting.

I rotate my running shoes depending on the day of the week and what kind of run I have planned. My current favorites are a pair of Sauconey Kinvara 3 but I got a pair of Nike Free 3.0 on a whim because I got a steep discount and had been curious about them (even though they have some pretty mixed reviews) and I really like them too. I think it will be a toss-up between those for my next marathon. The others in my rotation are Brooks Pure Drift and New Balance MR10. I really like the minimal shoes and had been sticking to the New Balance and they are the lightest in my rotation but they can be hard to run in when I hit up dirt roads or trails because you feel the errant stones much more.

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    My usual must ask:

Star Wars or Star Trek
    Kirk or Picard
    When you run do you ever imagine a little green guy that talks funny on your back?
    Star Wars definitely. I have never watched more than 10 minutes of Star Trek so cannot comment on that.

No Gazoo on my shoulder when I run, but I do sing out loud to myself on occasion during marathons.

What is your typical running apparel?
    What color pants are you wearing today?
    Ever pierced any part of your body? Ever pierced a friend?
    Do you have a USMC tat?
    Do Marines really say, "hoo hah" to each other?
    Did I spell "hoo hah" correctly?

Have you ever eaten a gummy shark?
    Typically I run in split leg shorts that have probably a 2" or maybe 3" inseam or what are often referred to in the Marines as "Recon Panties" (I believe the other services sometimes refer to them as "Ranger Panties"). For a shirt I wear the sweat-wicking t-shirts I get from various races or occasionally an old cotton t-shirt if it's thin enough. I recently received a running singlet (fancy word for tank top) from a 10-miler I did and I never thought I would like wearing them but it's surprisingly comfortable. I am looking for a cheap place now to buy 5 or 10 of them. If I run during the day time when the sun is really beating down on me I will wear a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Today's pants are just a pair of khaki colored Brooks Brothers chinos with a nice crisp crease. I was about to wear some custom light heather grey linen pants from a local shop but I decided against them at the last minute because I needed a sportcoat today and the one I wanted to wear doesn't match them.

No piercings ever and I've never pierced a friend. I did pin a friend once, but that was when we were young and stupid.

I do have a Marine Corps tattoo, or as we call it, an "Ooh Rah" tattoo (which is how we spell it) and yes, we really do say it to each other. It can be used sarcastically, in jest, seriously, or all of the above simultaneously.

I have eaten gummy sharks and they are probably among my least favorite gummy incarnation.
    Last edited by WSU MUP Student; 24 Jun 2013 at 5:11 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013
    Favorite sport?
    Can you speak any other languages?
    Favorite food?
    If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Ares View post
    Favorite sport?
    Can you speak any other languages?
    Favorite food?
    If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

Favorite sport to watch is either baseball or football. Baseball probably wins because it's also great to listen to on the radio, football is too much "hurry up and wait" for the radio. Although I do love to just settle in on the couch on a cold fall or winter day and watch football all weekend long and pro football is probably the only sport I can watch no matter what teams are playing.

I can speak and read a bit of Spanish. I haven't used it in a long long time though. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to try to learn a completely new language now and I think I would pick Korean. When I was in Spain in the Marine Corps it always amazed me how quickly things would come back to me.

Favorite food is probably pizza. I could eat it most everyday and we have a lot of good pizza places to choose from here in the Detroit area.

I've traveled all over the world and if I could live anywhere it would have to be here in the U.S. (although central and northern Europe (Germany, Austria, Denmark...) would have the cultural choices that I like as well). If I could live anywhere in the U.S. I might pick Southern California - you have nice weather and are not far from the ocean, the desert or the mountains and the snow, and, most importantly, there are a lot of people and civilization around. Southeast Michigan is nice, and we do have some good beaches in the state but it's woefully flat and I'd like a bit more topographic variety. However, if I could kick back and retire (and not have to worry about working anymore) I'd pick somewhere on Topsail Island, NC. It's nice and peaceful, the beaches are great, you're not too terribly far from civilization in Wilmington or Raleigh, and it's much less expensive than the Outer Banks and less crowded than Myrtle Beach.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What was your rank in The Marines ?
    Are you in the Reserves ?

Which was your favorite National Parks that you have visited ?
    Where you ever a Scout ?
    Do you like Reuben Sandwiches ? what is is your favorite side dish ?
    What do you know about the Rail-to-Trails ?
    Did you ever have a String-Ray bike ?
    What make & model car do drive ?
    Ever go to summer camp ?
    Which do prefer - downhill or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing ?

Who is cooler - police, firefighter, paramedic or ski patrol ?

Have you had any NIMS training ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Where are all the die hard Lions fans?
    How much cooler would your life be if you had a reasonably well trained monkey butler?
    Best Pearl Jam song?
    If you could hang one Seasame Street character from a yard arm which one and why?
    If you were a professional baseball player or wrestler what would your entrance music be?
    Best place to get a Coney Dog?
    Is it true that Kwami lied and strippers died?
    Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
    Ask yourself the question you were hoping to be asked and provide the answer.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2013
    What gets you out of bed every morning?

Most expensive speeding ticket?.. how fast were you going?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What is your favorite book?
    What is your favorite book to read to your daughter?
    What is your pet name for your wife? What is her pet name for you?
    What was your favorite chore on your parents' farm? What was the least favorite?
    If you were forced to have dinner with a celebrity chef who would you choose?
    Where did you meet your wife?
    What friend have you had the longest? Where did you meet him/her?
    What is your favorite cured meat?

If you, imaplanner and Brocktoon met for lunch, whwwere would you suggest going afterwards?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    - If you were in the Old West would you be:
    A) the town Sheriff
    B) a cowpoke
    C) a gun for hire
    D) a virtuous farmer (who is at war with the evil ranchers)
    E) the doctor
    F) the town drunk (presupposing you did well enough to get the job after the stringent interviews and vetting process)
    G) a toothless guy who says things to everyone's amusement like "dagnabbit ya ol' mule why wontcha git when ah says so"
    H) a bad guy with a rifle positioned on a roof who is supposed to shoot the good guy unsuspecting but instead gets shot and plummets over the railing on the roof to your death
    I) some guy in a lynch mob who shouts out things like "I say string him up. He shot doc Peterson in the back without any trial"
    J) other (explain)

- if a source of income completely ceased to be a concern to you (you have access to limitless $), how would your life be lived differently?
    - do you like pepperoni or bacon better on pizza?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What was your rank in The Marines ?
    Are you in the Reserves ?

Which was your favorite National Parks that you have visited ?
    Where you ever a Scout ?
    Do you like Reuben Sandwiches ? what is is your favorite side dish ?
    What do you know about the Rail-to-Trails ?
    Did you ever have a String-Ray bike ?
    What make & model car do drive ?
    Ever go to summer camp ?
    Which do prefer - downhill or cross-country skiing or snowshoeing ?

Who is cooler - police, firefighter, paramedic or ski patrol ?

Have you had any NIMS training ?
    I finished my first four years of active duty as a corporal (E-4) and went onto the IRR (another military acronym for Individual Ready Reserve). The IRR is supposed to be made up of folks who muster one time about a month after their release and then do 4 years of their IRR duty never to be heard from again. Well, I was an exception and I was called back to active duty. I am 98% sure it was out of spite: In early 2003 I got a telephone call asking if I'd like to spend the spring and summer handling security background checks at the reserve HQ in KC and I told them no thank you. About two months later I received a piece of mail from FedEx ordering me to report for active duty to Camp Lejeune, NC in support of OIF/OEF for a minimum of 12 months. I ended up doing nearly 24 months (the second 12 was voluntary) on active reserve duty, was promoted to sergeant (E-5), selected for staff sergeant (E-6), and contemplated re-enlisting back on to active duty in exchange for orders for three years to Stuttgart, Germany. Unfortunately, the Marine Corps decided to freeze all MARFORLANT Marines in place on the East Coast because they were gearing up for the surge in Iraq. But, because I had voluntarily extended I could go home anytime I wanted and going home is always a wiser choice than possibly getting sent to Iraq so I basically quit. The day I was getting ready to drive back to Detroit I actually got a call from Germany telling me my orders were finally approved and I could come over there but I said no, I was done. Long story short, I got out a Sergeant, but had I stuck around for at least another 3 months, I would have basically been guaranteed Staff Sergeant which is a huge promotion in the Marines. And I no longer have any reserve obligation

Not counting all the monuments around DC, the only National Parks I've been to are the Grand Canyon and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and I love both. I went to the Grand Canyon in 11th grade and that was the first time I've ever been truly awed by nature.

I was a Cub Scout, I found it incredibly boring. Maybe if I hadn't grown up on a farm in the country it would have been more interesting. I never felt it offered me much. I think I was active for maybe 4 months.

I love the Reuben Sandwich. Do pickles and a can of Vernor's count as sides? If not, baked beans and chips. Cole slaw works good too.

I think I recall reading recently that Michigan has more miles of Rails-to-Trails trails than any other state, and there are quite a few good trails here in Metro Detroit and I enjoy running on them. That is about the extent of my knowledge.

Never had a String-Ray bike, nor did I ever have a Sting-Ray bike. I never actually learned to ride a bike until I was in about the 7th grade. I just never had a desire until then.

I drive a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. Today it has no back windows and it is pouring rain outside. Oh well, at least I put the roof and doors on this morning.

I went to Camp Gordonwood for a few weeks every summer from about 3 to 8th grade. It was a camp run by the local Episcopal Diocese. Right across the road was Camp Tamarack, a large Jewish summer camp. Who knew that every summer while I was making God's Eyes and eating hot dogs one of my future best friends was across the street making dreidels and latkes?

I have never skied of any sort nor have I ever snowshoed. I have a set of cross country skis in my garage and we wanted to use them this winter but we never got enough snow. I'd also like to try snowshoes and was going to rent a set from REI to give it a shot... but again - not enough snow.

I'll vote for police being coolest only because my nephew is currently on a summer police internship in Miami Beach and the pictures he sends me are definitely cool!

Never did any NIMS training. It didn't exist in my first go-round in the Marines when I actually worked in some offices where it might have been useful and the jurisdiction I work for is large enough that we have our own "Homeland Security" division to handle all of that.

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Where are all the die hard Lions fans?
    How much cooler would your life be if you had a reasonably well trained monkey butler?
    Best Pearl Jam song?
    If you could hang one Seasame Street character from a yard arm which one and why?
    If you were a professional baseball player or wrestler what would your entrance music be?
    Best place to get a Coney Dog?
    Is it true that Kwami lied and strippers died?
    Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
    Ask yourself the question you were hoping to be asked and provide the answer.
    The die hard Lions fans are all around the parking lots of Eastern Market tailgating on Sunday mornings. No matter how bad the team is, they still seem to draw a crowd.

If rabies are cool, then my life would be the coolest with a trained monkey butler!

Do the Evolution is easily the best Pearl Jam song.

The Count! I think I went as him for Halloween every year of elementary school. He's so much cooler than those twinkly Twilight vampires.

Every time I go to a baseball game my buddies and I discuss our possible entrance music. I like Victor Martinez who seems to some sort of club mix that I imagine you might hear on Fire Island or somewhere in San Francisco's Castro District. I like to think I would pick something out of place or shocking for my personality but I keep coming back to this:

[youtube}XrkAy_QvsAU[/youtube]

Lafayette Coney Island in downtown Detroit has the best Coney Dogs, Hippos Hot Dogs to the north in Troy are darn good too, but the atmosphere just isn't the same.

Yes, Kwame lied and strippers died. I think that was actually my signature on here for a while.

I imagine Jimmy Hoffa is probably somewhere in the vicinity of where they were just digging for him. That's not far from where he lived at the time of his disappearance and there is a lot of property up that way that was (and still is) owned and was being developed by a local mafia family. There are also many gravel pits, lakes, rivers, and open fields in this part of Michigan... I cannot imagine he will ever be found.

I never volunteered for the inquisition so I wasn't hoping for any specific question, but I reserve the right to revisit this if I think of one that I wish had been asked.

Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    What gets you out of bed every morning?

Most expensive speeding ticket?.. how fast were you going?
    I am an early riser, usually up before 5:00 a.m. without the use of an alarm. Knowing that if I get up that early I'll get a few hours of solitude and peace and quiet (whether it's running, reading, watching the news, or even working in the yard) is my motivation.

I've had two speeding tickets of 20 over (I was going about 70 once and 80 the other). One was in NC in 1999 and the other was in VA in 2003. I honestly have no idea how much the fine was. I cannot remember.

What is your favorite book?
    What is your favorite book to read to your daughter?
    What is your pet name for your wife? What is her pet name for you?
    What was your favorite chore on your parents' farm? What was the least favorite?
    If you were forced to have dinner with a celebrity chef who would you choose?
    Where did you meet your wife?
    What friend have you had the longest? Where did you meet him/her?
    What is your favorite cured meat?

If you, imaplanner and Brocktoon met for lunch, whwwere would you suggest going afterwards?
    My favorite book might be American Psycho. It's soooooo much better than the movie - the humor comes through much better.

My favorite books to read to my daughter are any of the Curious George books. Lately she really likes us reading the Shell Silverstein poetry books to her so that's good too. Basically I enjoy reading anything to her but Dora (which she loves).

My wife calls me my first name followed by "Bear". I am very un-bearlike so I don't know where that came from. I don't really have a pet name for her but first name starts with a K and I used to call her K-Tron from time to time, but then after we got married I began calling her by her maiden name.

My favorite chore was weeding in the gardens, pruning trees, mowing the lawn, etc. I hated bailing hay (especially removing from the wagons and putting it in the barns). Now that I'm older though I love going out there and bailing hay and straw in the summer on the weekends.

Rachel Ray so I could eat the delicious food but then punch her in the throat the first time she uses some stupid word like "Sammy" for sandwich or "Stoup" for stew or soup.

When I got out of the Marines in 2005, a good friend from high school was dating my future wife's good friend from her high school. I met my wife to be at a party at my friend's girlfriend's house.

I am 34 now and met my oldest friend in 1st grade. We were in the same class and I recall being fast friends immediately. We are still good friends today and I see him quite frequently.

I like salami the best of all the cured meats. I can sit with an open package of it from the deli and just eat a half pound of it slice by slice with some crackers, a beer, and maybe some swiss cheese (even better if I have a big chunk of salami and have to cut my own pieces). That's one of my favorite evening snacks on the front porch.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Sorry I am late to the show, not to name drop, but I was hanging with Jon Stewart...

What did you want to be when you grew up?
    How long have you gone without sleep and did you YouTube it?
    Best Sergio Mendes song
    Phone, email or face to face preference?
    worst Bruce Willis movie
    Worst job ever you held
    Do you cook?
    What object would you want with you if you were stuck on a deserted island?
    What would you like to learn or be better at?
    last book you read non-work-related

Registered
    Mar 2007
    - If you were in the Old West would you be:
    A) the town Sheriff
    B) a cowpoke
    C) a gun for hire
    D) a virtuous farmer (who is at war with the evil ranchers)
    E) the doctor
    F) the town drunk (presupposing you did well enough to get the job after the stringent interviews and vetting process)
    G) a toothless guy who says things to everyone's amusement like "dagnabbit ya ol' mule why wontcha git when ah says so"
    H) a bad guy with a rifle positioned on a roof who is supposed to shoot the good guy unsuspecting but instead gets shot and plummets over the railing on the roof to your death
    I) some guy in a lynch mob who shouts out things like "I say string him up. He shot doc Peterson in the back without any trial"
    J) other (explain)

- if a source of income completely ceased to be a concern to you (you have access to limitless $), how would your life be lived differently?
    - do you like pepperoni or bacon better on pizza?
    J Other - I'd probably be a cross between the town drunk and a grizzled old prospector who tried to keep mainly to himself and was now closer to the Reds than those folks moving out to possibly take my claim or drive me off my land for the railroad.

If I didn't have to worry about an income, I would pretty quickly become the crazy guy who walks to town every morning in his bathrobe, sweeps his driveway with a broom, yells at kids to stay off my lawn... I'd probably suffocate by being buried alive under a 7' stack of newspapers and National Geographic magazines one evening on my way to my cat infested bedroom.

Pepperoni > bacon any day of the week. I've never cared for bacon on pizza.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Sorry I am late to the show, not to name drop, but I was hanging with Jon Stewart...

What did you want to be when you grew up?
    How long have you gone without sleep and did you YouTube it?
    Best Sergio Mendes song
    Phone, email or face to face preference?
    worst Bruce Willis movie
    Worst job ever you held
    Do you cook?
    What object would you want with you if you were stuck on a deserted island?
    What would you like to learn or be better at?
    last book you read non-work-related
    I wanted to be an architect... then a teacher, then an account, then a lawyer, then a planner.

I've gone over 24 without sleep quite often when I was in the Marines. 36 hours or so was probably the most. Maybe 48 or 50. I've never put anything on YouTube.

Never been a fan of Sergio Mendes but how about Tito Puente? No favorites though but all his stuff sounds the same to me: AWESOME!

Phone, email or face to face preference? Are you breaking up with me? Have the courage to do it to my face!

The Whole Nine Yards was the worst Bruce Willis movie I've seen. I haven't seen it but I imagine the sequel is even worse than that.

I've only had a few actual jobs: Marine, salesman at a Midwest precursor of every Cyburbian's favorite department store, database administrator at a non-profit, social worker, and economic development type. Social worker was probably the worst - so mentally draining and depressing.

I do cook, and I like to think I am pretty good at it. I enjoy baking too (if that's different than cooking). I enjoy making a meal up on the fly and not following any recipes.

If I cannot have a ship to get off the desert island, can I have Kate Upton? Does she count as an object. On a more serious note... I'd opt for a stereo and an endless supply of music (and electricity to enjoy it) or at least my music collection.

I'd like to learn woodworking or at least basic carpentry.

This past weekend I read John Darnielle's Master of Reality. It's part of the 33 1/3 book series. It's the first I've read but I have a stack of 8 more on my night stand. My goal is to read the entire series.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Favorite ice cream flavor ?
    Favorite DQ Blizzard ?
    Milk shake or sundae ?
    Favorite Italian ice flavor ?

Cake or pie ?

Drink Coffee ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    - Favorite Horror Movie
    - Lt. Dan - Great guy or blowhard dick?
    - Favorite BBQ
    - Favorite planning acronym
    - Favorite curse word
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    chinese food or thai?
    greek or italian pizza?
    best sub
    do you eat hummus? at work?
    smelliest thing you ever made in a microwave at work
    facebook or twitter
    vine or snapchat
    most popular thing you ever posted on any online site

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Favorite ice cream flavor ?
    Favorite DQ Blizzard ?
    Milk shake or sundae ?
    Favorite Italian ice flavor ?

Cake or pie ?

Drink Coffee ?
    I like any ice cream as long as it's not some sort of fruit-flavored abomination. Rocky road or Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby (though I cannot find it around here any more) are probably my favorites.

I have not had a DQ Blizzard in probably 15 years but the German Chocolate one was my go to.

If I am making them, I like milkshakes, if I am out at an ice cream shop I like sundaes. But, if I can get an old fashioned malt that beats both!

I am not a fan of Italian ice at all but if I have to eat one, lemon is the way to go.

Pie > cake in almost all instances.

I do drink coffee... I stop in at my neighborhood Starbucks nearly every morning and am on a first name basis with all of the staff. Lately I've been getting sweetened iced coffees.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    - Favorite Horror Movie
    - Lt. Dan - Great guy or blowhard dick?
    - Favorite BBQ
    - Favorite planning acronym
    - Favorite curse word
    I generally don't like horror movies at all... they just seem so unrealistic. The one exception is The Shining. I've always loved that one.

Don't really recall Forrest Gump as I only saw it once and read the book once many moons ago. But with a name like Dan, he must be a great guy!

BBQ Ribs are my favorite... nice slow cooked and charred. For a style of BBQ though I think I prefer the dry Memphis style. Living in NC for so long, I was nearly drowned in BBQ sauce and I would die happy if I never had to eat that type again.

MURP has always been my favorite planning acronym because it reminds me of GURPS which reminds me of high school.

I've never been a swearer but I have been known to blurt out "Mother Scratcher!" from time to time.

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    chinese food or thai?
    greek or italian pizza?
    best sub
    do you eat hummus? at work?
    smelliest thing you ever made in a microwave at work
    facebook or twitter
    vine or snapchat
    most popular thing you ever posted on any online site
    Thai, although I don't get it too often.

Italian pizza. Greek doesn't like a pizza to me. But I haven't actually had a Greek pizza... who knows, I might like it!

Any sub chock full of sliced deli meats (without bologna) is a good sub in my book. A new chain called Firehouse Subs just opened near my office and I was actually thinking of going there today.

I do eat hummus, but not at work. Just never thought of doing so. I never actually had hummus until after I was married and my wife bought it one day. She thought I was kidding when I told her I had no idea what it was (I also lived in Japan for a year and never ate sushi... go figure!).

I don't use the microwave at work too often since we have a toaster over and about the only thing I ever bring in that needs to be heated is cold pizza and it's better in the toaster oven... but I have brought in some rather fragrant pizza with peppers and anchovies.

Facebook. I have a Twitter but generally only check it during football season on Sunday mornings to get fantasy football tips.

I have no idea what vine or snpachat are, but I'll pick vine since hops grow on vines.

I have no idea what the most popular thing I ever posted online was but I did once post a picture of my partial shoe collection on Instagram that got 50+ likes. That's more likes than i have friends on there! I imagine I probably have posted some cutesy photo or story of my daughter on Facebook that may have had 100+ likes or comments.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Inquisition: JNA
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 8:07 PM
  2. The Inquisition: Maister
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 103
    Last post: 14 Jun 2013, 8:13 PM
  3. The Inquisition: Ursus