Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Corporate Slave --> MUP/MBA?

Registered
    Jan 2013

Corporate Slave --> MUP/MBA?

Hi All,

I graduated from Northwestern University a couple years ago double majoring in Political Science and Urban Studies (3.6 GPA). I also wrote an honor's thesis on racial/urban politics. Since graduation, I've been working in corporate finance at a Fortune 500 company, but I was thinking of putting some of my academic interests/undergrad education to use and pursue a career in urban planning, real estate development or urban design.

I'm still early in the process and I'm considering MUP/MBA programs like the one at Michigan. I just had a few questions and hope y'all could help me out...

1) I am trying to gain knowledge and experience in the planning world in my spare time. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

2) Can I get into a MUP program with literally no related work experience or internships in the field?

3) Besides Michigan, what are some of the other MUP/MBA out there?

Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Have you considered an MPA? (Public Administration?)
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    A good way to getting planning experience on the side is to be on a local planning board (Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, etc).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2010
    About 45 minutes southeast of Thibodaux, Lousiana
    I can answer #2:
    YES! In my class of 26 only 2 had an urban planning undergraduate degree and/or had done a planning internship. The backgrounds of my classmates was a total grab bag. We had English, History, Psychology, Nat. Resources Majors--you name it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    If you're interested in both planning and business, you'd probably better served looking into an MRED or MPA. A dual masters seems unnecessary and even a bit overkill if you can get a single degree that accomplishes what you want.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning Vs. Corporate
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 9:28 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 28 Jan 2009, 5:27 PM
  3. Corporate strategic plans
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Sep 2006, 11:53 AM