Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Morning Routine

Registered
    Apr 2003

Morning Routine

It seems that many of the top performers in their particular fields have a morning routine that they go though. By definition, the routine is an almost every day repetitive occurrence. These can range from working out, meditating, reading, and journal. Others may watch the news, just do the basics like shower get dressed, eat breakfast and drive to work. There are some who say that it is the most important time of the day and the activities that happen in the morning set the direction for the whole day, and repeated over and over again, they set the direction for our lives.

Do you have a morning routine? Do you think that it amplifies your life in any way or is just another part of the day? Do you do anything out of the normal stuff?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It seems that many of the top performers in their particular fields have a morning routine that they go though. By definition, the routine is an almost every day repetitive occurrence. These can range from working out, meditating, reading, and journal. Others may watch the news, just do the basics like shower get dressed, eat breakfast and drive to work. There are some who say that it is the most important time of the day and the activities that happen in the morning set the direction for the whole day, and repeated over and over again, they set the direction for our lives.

Do you have a morning routine? Do you think that it amplifies your life in any way or is just another part of the day? Do you do anything out of the normal stuff?
    M-F, get breakfast, dork on the computer, shave, brush my teeth, devotions, pack my lunch and my gym bag, drive to work. The devotions help me to focus and gain perspective, but that's it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I tend to be a creature of habit and typically follow the same sequence each week day: wake, pick clothes out, shower, shave, screw around on computer, give son daily instructions, drive to work,
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    M-F, my morning routine is:
    1. Bathroom
    2. Run (m-w-f) or gym (t-r)
    3. Shower
    4. Dress (my clothes are usually picked out and hung in the laundry room the night before)
    5. Breakfast
    6. Walk to Starbucks, then walk home
    7. Drive to work
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't like mornings so I just get up, eat, read the paper, and go to work. Always have to give the kids hugs - they fight over who goes first (best part of the morning).
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    1 - watch/listen news or talk show
    2 - make breakfast & take meds
    3 - shower
    4 - dress
    5 - eat breakfast
    6 - other morning routines
    7 - drive to work
    8 - after clocking in - make coffee
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2011
    1) Bathroom
    2) Turn off alarm system
    3) Turn on electric kettle
    4) Let dog out
    5) Turn off outside lights to the house
    6) Make coffee
    7) Mess around on computer until 7:30
    8) Shower
    9) Leave for work

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Our morning routine consists of the following..........

1. Sleeping until 8am.
    2. Husband starts bellowing kjel...RT....get out of bed til we respond.
    3. Round two of bellowing starts if he doesn't hear any movement.
    4. I shuffle downstairs for a cup of coffee which he always has ready for me.
    5. Back upstairs to get ready.
    5a. If the baby is awake I will get her dressed and play with her for a bit.
    6. Leave house at 9:15
    7. Arrive at work at 9:30

The routine will drastically change after Labor Day as RT will be commuting to Midtown Manhattan and I will be commuting to Jersey City. While JC is only 7 miles away, it can easily take an hour to get there. RT cannot drive to Manhattan. So we're splitting a parking pass at the PATH station which is 1.5 miles from our house and taking the train to work. She'll have a two block walk and I will have a half block walk......and we will have our sanity. It's going to be an adjustment leaving the house at 8am.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Arise (after multiple snooze hits)
    Bathroom routine
    Choose clothes for work day
    Make and drink coffee
    See hubby leave (sometimes before coffee, sometimes after coffee)
    Shower
    Eat breakfast with more coffee while watching news
    Dress
    *Mysterious female bathroom ritual involving hair appliances and makeup*
    Make lunch
    Leave

On non-work days
    Arise
    Bathroom routine
    Put on walking clothes
    Go for a walk
    Return and hydrate
    Shower
    Eat breakfast with coffee while either watching news or scanning headlines online
    Dress for remainder of day
    *Mysterious female bathroom ritual involving hair appliances and makeup*
    Get on with rest of day
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Alarm wakes me up around 7am
    Lie in bed, sometimes try to catch a few more zzz's, look at the internet on my phone (Facebook, YouTube, work email), and finally get out of bed around 7:30 or 7:45 (sometimes as late as 8am)
    Go the bathroom
    Go downstairs and weigh myself on my roommate's scale
    Eat a small bowl of Cheerios and drink half a glass of OJ while watching the WGN morning news
    Go upstairs, make my bed, and put a banana and four bottles of water in my work bag
    Shave my face
    Brush my teeth
    Take a shower
    Apply deodorant
    Get dressed
    Apply hair gel
    Walk to my car
    Drive to work and say my daily prayers/talk to God on the 10 minute drive there
    Arrive at work around 9 (sometimes as early as 8:45 or as late as 9:20)
    Get to my desk and turn on my computer
    While my computer is loading, go get hot tea from the Keurig machine and fix my hair in the bathroom
    Go through emails in greater depth, check any voicemails and return any calls as necessary, and look at my running to-do list and make any additions/changes
    Begin working on projects for the day
    Once my tea cools, start drinking it and eat my banana at some point between 9:30 and 11am
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I noticed several people commented about going on line in the morning. That is one thing that I am doing less and less. I listen to podcasts when I am getting ready for work, but I am working to not check e-mail, twitter, facebook or anything until later.

I also moved my phone away from my bed. I use my fitbit silent alarm as my alarm clock so I don't need my phone within arms reach.

In some of the research, there has been quite a bit of discussion regarding mediation as a morning routine. Does anyone do anything like that?
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

In some of the research, there has been quite a bit of discussion regarding mediation as a morning routine. Does anyone do anything like that?
    Do devotions count? If they do, I find that it helps focus me and put things into to perspective. Calms me before the chaos of the day erupts.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Do devotions count? If they do, I find that it helps focus me and put things into to perspective. Calms me before the chaos of the day erupts.
    It is good to remember the Serenity Prayer.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I would absolutely say that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I get along pretty well with everyone in my life so no mediation is in order for me.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I get along pretty well with everyone in my life so no mediation is in order for me.
    [sarcasm] I should mediate you upside the head... but I will meditate on it first. [/sarcasm]

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good Morning.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 May 2013, 12:54 AM
  2. What's Your Morning Like?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 12 Jun 2009, 12:35 PM
  3. Morning
    Introduce Yourself