Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Social Media & Children: Considerations of What's Appropriate, Respectful, and Crossing the Line

Registered
    Aug 2001

Social Media & Children: Considerations of What's Appropriate, Respectful, and Crossing the Line

I just saw on Instagram that someone created a hashtag for their son's fifth birthday, something like #happybirthdaysteverogers

The audience for this type of hashtag seems infinitesimal to me. So why even do it? Unless I am totally not getting the varied possible uses of a hashtag. Is it a legacy thing? That one day after junior grows up that he'll search himself on teh internets and be overtaken by such emotion that he will cherish the memories he never had?

I am not an Interwebs luddite. I post pictures of my family all the time. But to me, creating a hashtag for a young boy's birthday seems inappropriate. I know this is a minor thing, and probably daddy was thinking it was cute thing. But the reality is, it's redundant, you don't need to create a hashtag for something as obvious a young boy's birthday, the pic will attract the audience you want.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think people just like to create hashtags because they think it's cool.
    #hashtagjunkies
    #hashtagoverused

It's your kids birthday, just post it on the facebook like the rest of us and move on.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've read a few interviews that for many of those that like using hashtags, making up seemingly obscure ones for Tumblr, Instagram, and Twitter is part of the fun because you never know what might already exist, and you will occasionally be surprised to see that there might already be some sort of insular little conversation taking place (or had taken place a year or two ago).

I enjoy looking at Instagram and often look (favorably) at the various hashtags as I do with Wikipedia articles: It can become a never ending journey down and increasingly obscure rabbit hole.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    All very good points, I appreciate the commentary. The specific hashtag I saw was for a "happybirthdaywilliam" which sounds hashtag-worthy, however, how many millions of people likely named William would qualify? I mean, there are some creeps out there named William, not all of them are cute five-year olds.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    #Idon'treallyunderstandhashtagswell #isprobablyalreadyahashtagironically #soisthatone

#annoyingcontributionsbyursus

and now, so as not to ruin a perfectly good conversation with how funny I think I am, let me say: I have a tiny little instagram account where I follow a few people and a very few people follow me. I don't ever worry about the pics of my kids on this, etc. because I don't really use hashtags, so nobody randomly doing weird or pervy searches is going to come across them. But you know, if I was weird or pervy, relentless hashtag perusing seems like a way I'd get pictures people didn't know I had. That's why I don't do it. Not really invested in not doing it, but it just seems prudent as a way of minimizing the public viewing of my personal photographs that I DO want to share.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    #Idon'treallyunderstandhashtagswell #isprobablyalreadyahashtagironically #soisthatone

#annoyingcontributionsbyursus

and now, so as not to ruin a perfectly good conversation with how funny I think I am, let me say: I have a tiny little instagram account where I follow a few people and a very few people follow me. I don't ever worry about the pics of my kids on this, etc. because I don't really use hashtags, so nobody randomly doing weird or pervy searches is going to come across them. But you know, if I was weird or pervy, relentless hashtag perusing seems like a way I'd get pictures people didn't know I had. That's why I don't do it. Not really invested in not doing it, but it just seems prudent as a way of minimizing the public viewing of my personal photographs that I DO want to share.
    #ditto.

I don't believe I've ever used a hashtag. If I did, it was likely an attempt at being a smart ass since I don't really get how/why they work.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    #ditto.

I don't believe I've ever used a hashtag. If I did, it was likely an attempt at being a smart ass since I don't really get how/why they work.
    That is the only time I've done it was well. My 20 something video director at church was doing the whole hashtag thing with me. I tried to respond in kind and probably came across completely clueless.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Apropos Cyburbia hashtags:

#laefest2014

#blueshirtbrigade

#tehclubbbbbbe

#benificentbanhammer

#neverending

#fridayafternoonclub

#yellowcard

#chetism

#1-800-APA-COMPLAINTS