Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING zoning violation thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The NEVERENDING zoning violation thread

This is Capt. Gary's front yard where he stores his inventions. He has three patents. Two devices to clean the Gulf of the oil from the Deep Horizon and the other his asteroid deflection system to save the Earth from a catastrophic ending. That's what he tells our Board ever other Tuesday.

What do you mean you can't see them?

His case goes before the code enforcement board next month. (Image taken by me this morning.)

Post pictures of your favorite violations. Go on. You know you want to.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ forgot to mention that there was a guy a few doors down, washing his car in his pj's and flip-flops. Sheesh.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I used to be a frequent flyer in Code Enforcement court. I hate Code Enforcement court, there's very rarely a dismissal and even if you get one you still have to pay $33 for "court costs". Because I am a corporation, I am required to be represented by an attorney. Sometimes I can get in and out in an hour, often times it's more like 2 hours and a $300 attorney bill. The standard fine is $100 + $33 in court costs. Their favorite item to ticket for is trash/debris, yet the house across the street literally can be falling down and they will not ticket it. Part of the issue is that there are only 7 code enforcement officers in a city of 300K with a derelict housing stock, another is the way they are compensated-if they use their personal vehicle to write one violation they earn $25 over their salary per day. I had one officer that repeatedly ticketed a property of mine just because he drove by it on his way to the office every day. We argued with the judge and the prosecutor that he was being vindictive-he'd issue a 3 day notice to abate but would mail it which took 7-10 days to receive, if it wasn't abated in 3 days he would write a subsequent ticket .

Here's one I acquired through the city's vacant/abandoned properties program for $2K. They were kind enough to ticket me 10 days after the transfer of title with a 90 days to rehab or demolish order. Keep in mind that the city owned it for 12 years prior to us acquiring it.

Before Exterior

Before Interior

Current Exterior (still doing the interior renovation)

This vacant lot was pretty junky for about 2 years despite repeated complaints to code enforcement and 3-1-1. One of my colleagues tweeted the mayor and it was finally cleaned up.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Is that the same Mayor that saved a freezing dog recently (according to ABC)?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    Is that the same Mayor that saved a freezing dog recently (according to ABC)?
    One and the same
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2005
    My town would kill to have a Llamafest.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 16 Dec 2010, 9:28 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Oct 2010, 12:56 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last post: 30 Aug 2009, 12:55 AM
  4. Replies: 0