Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Confidential letter of recommendation

Registered
    Dec 2012

Confidential letter of recommendation

Hi everyone,

I am applying for a MS degree and asked one of my former professors to write me a letter of recommendation. He kindly accepted, and congratulated me on my job as an environmental planner. I gave him the Internet access code to submit the letter of recommendation through the University's website. He submitted it within a day which seemed extraordinarily fast.. I cannot see the content of the LoR through the website and upon my request he refused for a personal copy for my record. I am concerned of the content and whether I do or do not want his LoR submission now. When I've applied to other programs usually a recommender will give me a coPy for my records.

Does it seem unusual to you all that my professor would want to keep the letter of rec confidential?? Am I being paranoid?

Thanks
    From a worrier!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2012
    Global nomad, currently stationed in Beijing
    There is nothing abnormal that your recommender wants to keep the letter confidential. Relax! Most all of us would be extremely jealous of the fact that your recommender submitted the letter within a day -- many of us have to send several follow-up reminders to our recommenders, sometimes right up to and even past the deadlines.

In the future, you may want to consider asking your potential recommenders: "would you write me a STRONG recommendation letter?" This is not only to prevent your paranoia, but also to ensure that all your letter will actually help your admission.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Nah, I always used to waive my right to see the letter. It carries more weight that way.

Sometimes the writer would show me it anyway.

Don't ask someone to write one if you don't think it will be complementary.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I'm considering emailing him to ask whether or not his recommendation would help or hinder my acceptance into the program...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TheRealSean View post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm considering emailing him to ask whether or not his recommendation would help or hinder my acceptance into the program...
    I'd leave it. Most professors aren't vindictive so just trust that your judgement in asking your recommender was correct.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I'd leave it. Most professors aren't vindictive so just trust that your judgement in asking your recommender was correct.
    Agreed. If he didn't like you, he wouldn't have agreed to write the letter. The letter has already been sent. Just relax and be happy you your professor was so prompt.

Registered
    May 2005
    I agree, don't second guess yourself too much, You asked, he said ok, and then did it. If he had reservations (and has any respectability) he would have politely told you that he may not be the best person to speak to your abilities. Or some similarly tactful statement.

I occasionally have to write recommendations for vendors (architects, landscape architects) bidding on projects, vouching for how they were to work with. Its all confidential as well and I am up front with the requests by asking them what aspects they need me to speak to and, if it was confusing or not the best experience, I will tell them so.

Its been submitted and you can't do anything about it at this point, so just sit tight. I'm sure it was a positive recommendation. Most are! Try to feel lucky that someone was willing to vouch for you and that they did it without you needing to hound them (which I think is more often the case and also raises questions about whether they said anything positive about you...)

Oh, and good luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

If he accepted doing it & congradualted you on your job he probably wrote you a good letter. They are not required to let you have a copy for your records and I wouldn't be worried about it.

Good luck getting in!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Thank you everyone for your awesome comments!! I think lubinli is right, I'm being paranoid. I really want to get into this program and I think it's starting to get to my head.. Thankfully my employer is also endorsing me with a letter of recommendation. I'll comment with the results in about two months..

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Letter of recommendation: examples?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Dec 2010, 12:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 2:35 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Oct 2009, 9:29 AM
  4. Letter of recommendation
    Career Development and Advice