Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Small city transit

Registered
    Nov 2002

Small city transit

Who has examples of good small urban transit systems? I mean communities under 100,000, probably mostly bus-based. What is it that makes them work well? Is it land use patterns? Management?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Would this include college towns or not? The only examples I can think of are college and tourist towns which obviously have a different dynamic than your average small city.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Would this include college towns or not? The only examples I can think of are college and tourist towns which obviously have a different dynamic than your average small city.
    Going to side with Blide. My fair city (population of 45K) has an excellent transportation system, but it is an outlier due to being a college town. The town i work for is around 30K and has a sub-par transit system.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    What is it that makes them work well?
    Federal Subsidies
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Port Huron is not a college town (besides a county community college) and has an excellent transit system. Certainly one that stacks up against anyone. They were early adopters of bike racks on buses and have a near complete fleet of CNG busses and their own fueling station.

http://www.bwbus.com/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Port Huron is a good example. The routes look well thought-out although the headways seem long.

As a Boston native, I love the small cities' route numbers (1,2,3,4, etc.) Makes it seem so simple.

And I agree that the college and tourist towns have a leg up.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    One interesting approach to small town transit I've seen is the Clemson Area Transit system. The hub of the system is a university but it still enables a couple of small towns that don't have significant student populations to have public transit. The other nice is feature is the system is completely free to ride since it is supported by the university and federal subsidies. If I recall, it's the largest free system in the country.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Federal Subsidies
    That's the only thing that makes the road and highway system capable of functioning, so there's no shocker there.

TRB/TCRP reports

Have you looked at any TCRP reports?

Registered
    Nov 2009
    The Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute had a panel session that discussed transit in rural areas earlier this year. You can directly view the powerpoint in PDF format of Transit Success Stories in Montana.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 10 Sep 2013, 7:58 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 4:29 PM
  3. How to find - transit planning (small city)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Aug 2007, 2:52 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Sep 2006, 3:31 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 8:23 PM