Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mardi Gras and the media

Registered
    Feb 2004

Mardi Gras and the media

What kind of local and/or national media coverage do the Mardi Gras parades get? I don't think I've ever seen/heard anything in the news here about it, except how New Orleans managed to celebrate MG following Katrina.

EDIT: I have to say that I find MG's traditional non-commerciality refreshing. I don't think it's a bad thing more media attention isn't focused there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    To the outside world Mardi Gras = boobies + alcohol. Surely that kind of thing isn't proper for decent folk.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    To the outside world Mardi Gras = boobies + alcohol. Surely that kind of thing isn't proper for decent folk.
    Okay, that answer is quite satisfactory. Moving on to the next thread.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    On the other hand, I can't think of two things that go together any better.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Isn't that three things?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Isn't that three things?
    Post of the Hour
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Isn't that three things?
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Post of the Hour
    The thought crossed my mind, but I figured I was being juvenile enough.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"how did you get your beads?"

I was pedaling through the French Quarter, stopped at a stop sign, and a spectator put them in my bike basket. Fellow musicians tossed me an unopened bag from a float. A Good Will store in Hammond, La.

Locally we are having a big FT celebration, hosted by a coalition of taverns and funded by the DDA. (They need a better plan than just sending out press releases for random musicians to come downtown and play, call this number for details. I'm coordinating a band with a dozen folks lined up.) They've tried several other schemes, including "come play for free" (one musician) and a stationary parade (float-like items parked in front of the bars) which was snowed out.

It's regrettable that this holiday season gets short shrift. Retailers, you could move some more product, food, and King cakes. Entertainment places, you could offer something different. MG is a family-friendly holiday everyplace but Bourbon Street, and what fun it would be to have "another" Halloween with beads instead of candy, and fun happy themes rather than zombies and death.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Pazcki (Polish Donuts) are Mardi Gras in these parts.

In the large Polish community of Chicago, and in other large cities across the Midwest, Pączki Day is celebrated annually by immigrants and locals alike. In Buffalo, Toledo, Cleveland, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, South Bend, and Windsor, Pączki Day is more commonly celebrated on Fat Tuesday instead of Tłusty Czwartek.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%85czki
    http://detroit.metromix.com/events/s...005671/content
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Most people do think Mardi Gras is boobs and booze. It is so much more. Outside the Quarter, Mardi Gras is a family event. People arrive early along the parade routes for a good spot. There is less drinking, often for practical reasons. Beer = having to pee. No place to pee = a short stay at the parade or peeing in some poor homeowners bushes.

And there are parades and celebrations for weeks before Mardi Gras Day. And in different towns and cities around New Orleans and down the bayous. Even on the water - the Madisonville Boat Parade is way cool. By the time I was an adult the allure of going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras had worn off. We would go to the Mardi Gras Day parade in Jefferson Parish, where we could park my friend's parents RV (place to pee) and party hardy. Or we would just go to the parade in Covington, with a costume party at someone's house after.

The local media understands the Carnval season and covers it pretty well. It is the national media and "Cops" that portray it as a alcohol and sin extravaganze. Maybe it is because I am not a people person and hate crowds, but the thought of being in the French Quarter on Mardi Gras Day did not appeal to me at all. Sure there is the certainity of seeing boobs, but also the strong chance of getting puked on, having some drunk start a fight with you, get hassled by the NOPD (which is one of the worst police departments in the country) or being a victim of crime. I love boobs, but there are more efficient ways to see them.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

Maybe it is because I am not a people person and hate crowds, but the thought of being in the French Quarter on Mardi Gras Day did not appeal to me at all. Sure there is the certainity of seeing boobs, but also the strong chance of getting puked on, having some drunk start a fight with you, get hassled by the NOPD (which is one of the worst police departments in the country) or being a victim of crime. I love boobs, but there are more efficient ways to see them.
    The only time we did Bourbon Street for Mardi Gras was the year after Katrina. We wanted to show our support for the community. The crowds weren't too bad but it was more than enough for me. We ended up only spending a few minutes on Bourbon St. and then headed over to Frenchman St. to party with the locals.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

And there are parades and celebrations for weeks before Mardi Gras Day. And in different towns and cities around New Orleans and down the bayous. Even on the water - the Madisonville Boat Parade is way cool. By the time I was an adult the allure of going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras had worn off. We would go to the Mardi Gras Day parade in Jefferson Parish, where we could park my friend's parents RV (place to pee) and party hardy. Or we would just go to the parade in Covington, with a costume party at someone's house after..
    There are other town/cities in MS and AL that have parades and celebrations. I'm not sure about TX or FL.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"Mardi Gras isn't for children"

Excellent opinion piece making the rounds, some language.

http://100dollarserious.wordpress.co...of-mardi-gras/

The Carnival most tourists know is just Spring Break South with beer in the streets and limited, split-second nudity.

Imagine your town’s most cherished tradition ...giving way to this kind of idiocy. ... Think of a Veterans Day parade with Japanese flags Fasting on Thanksgiving. Valentine’s Day, sure, I know that, that’s when you stalk some girl and slash her tires when she calls the police.

...when the Girls Gone Wild video series discovered this phenomenon around the time of Hammer pants, they filmed it, and it exploded.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    There are other town/cities in MS and AL that have parades and celebrations. I'm not sure about TX or FL.
    I heard on the news reports of the tornado(s) in Hattiesburg, that there might have been more deaths/injuries if the college there hadn't been closed for Mardi Gras.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Veloise does Mardi Gras: The Sequel
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 2:01 PM
  2. Mardi Gras
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 04 Mar 2010, 9:40 AM
  3. Mardi Gras thread