Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: All things Sherlock Holmes

Registered
    Feb 2004

All things Sherlock Holmes

What is it about the Shelock Holmes and Dr. Watson characters that makes them so enduring? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created the characters back in the 1880's and they've made countless tv shows, radio dramas, movies, cartoons, stories, plays etc featuring that duo (or blatantly copied - the Doyle family still maintains rights to the characters even to this day).

I admit I have always liked the Sherlock Holmes character. His eccentricities are amusing, his deductive powers border on the supernatural, yet he is flawed too and suffered from egotism and also partook of cocaine and opium out of boredom. Screenwriters these days seem to like to focus on the question of why did Dr. Watson put up with all his crap?

Anyway, are you more of a classic Basil Rathbone Holmes fan or are you partial to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal?
    Who are your favorite Sherlock Holmes?
    Why do you think Sherlock Holmes resonates so strongly, even today?
    Have you actually read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories written by Conan Doyle?
    Is the world ready for a female Sherlock Holmes-ian character?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm a junkie for Holmes. There's not a "Holmes" version or remake that I don't enjoy. Not one, though my favorites are the Grenada TV series with Jeremy Bret. Don't know why. Love the new "Sherlock", love the Downey Jr. movies, love the old Basil Rathbone, love my complete copy as published in the "Strand".

I read "The Hound of the Baskervilles" one summer when I was 13 or 14 house-sitting a place during the days. Immediate love.

I even love the sort-of "Holmesian" inspired detective genre. The "flawed genius" deals like Monk or Psych. The world is ready for a female Sherlock Holmes. Definitely.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    I don't think I've ever consumed anything having to do with Sherlock. I guess it just never attracted me. I have caught a few moments of the recent Downey movies and they looked pretty good, but I still don't care if I see the entire movies.

As a kid, I was more into fantasy books and movies, as opposed to mystery and cops/robbers. That's probably why I never got into Sherlock.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am an avid Sherlock Holmes fan and have a collection of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (both audio and visual). At one point in my life, I even recreated a room to make it look like 221B Baker Street (good thing that Mrs Katt humors me)
    I just cant get into the later versions of Sherlock but I still do watch them (I just dont collect them) Over the years some of my friends and co-worker have ridiculed me and some have admitted that they two are Sherlock fans. I dont really know why I am a fan, I have tried but have never come up with and answer but as Mrs Katt says "it is harmless" and she knows when I am.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

And yes I do have the books, bought them doing a PBS fund raiser

I was never much a fan of the orginal Sherlock, tho my dad is. I've enjoyed the recent incarnations of Sherlock. The BBC version is a pretty good update. The RDJ version is a good brain and eye candy. Plus their version Moirarty is who I see him actually being. Elementary is good and getting better. In this version, he's a brilliant, but cocky and obnoxious, Plus, I'm becoming Lucy Lui in a short skirt and tights fan.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I read the complete works by Arthur Conan Doyle all the way through in 7th grade. I think the character resonates with that part of us that wishes for everything to be knowable.

Nigel Bruce.

I don't think the new show Elementary works, but I'm glad they tried.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Based upon my dream last night I would have to say that Benedict Cumberbatch is my favorite Sherlock but he was kinda merged with Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday. I'm not a huge fan of Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock. Too over-the-top for my taste.

I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes. They're on my someday list but haven't gotten to them yet.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I was never much a fan of the orginal Sherlock, tho my dad is. I've enjoyed the recent incarnations of Sherlock. The BBC version is a pretty good update. The RDJ version is a good brain and eye candy. Plus their version Moirarty is who I see him actually being. Elementary is good and getting better. In this version, he's a brilliant, but cocky and obnoxious, Plus, I'm becoming Lucy Lui in a short skirt and tights fan.
    I haven't watched Elementary, but the ads during the Super Bowl make it look pretty good. I may have to check her.............I mean the show......out.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I enjoy Sherlock Holmes. Recently I saw Robert Downing Jr.'s take on it. I really enjoyed Jude Law's Dr. Watson, who had to kick the asses of the henchman while Holmes played it for yucks with the main villian.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's brother-in-law - E. W. Hornung - created the Holmes antithesis - Raffles - the Gentleman Thief. From what I've read, Sir Doyle was not much amused at the dig.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Did anyone else see Elementary last night? (he asked knowingly)

I tell ya it keeps getting better and better. The writers of this show are demonstrating their skill and we're already beginning to see concrete signs that this is going to be one of the best tv series around.

A well written show of this sort needs to have 1) interesting plots each episode with a handful of twists so things do not fall easily into predictable patterns, and 2) character development and larger story arc themes that encompass an entire season. Right now the writers are gradually introducing all the classic elements of the Holmes-Watson mythos one show at a time e.g. a couple weeks ago we see the introduction of the name Moriarty, last week we find out about Watson's decision to continue working with Holmes (even though she is no longer his 'sobriety companion' much like Watson returned to assist Holmes after he had moved out and gotten married in the Conan Doyle universe).

The writers evidently do not want Watson (a female played by Lucy Liu) to be perceived as weak. To that end, the character is now beginning training by Holmes into his remarkable methodology of induction. Also worthy of note, we have not really seen Watson in the position of being the proverbial damsel in distress. I like that.
    Last edited by Maister; 22 Feb 2013 at 4:47 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 95
    Last post: 09 May 2010, 2:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  3. two new things
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 Dec 2006, 12:30 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:42 PM