Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unrelated customers service job experience

Registered
    Jan 2013

Unrelated customers service job experience

Hi, I searched the forum for someone else with a question like mine, but I have such a hard time with the search function here, it never seems to come back with much.

My question:
    Can a background in customer service be manipulated to serve in a planning job hunt? I've worked in various retail shops, restaurants, drugstores, coffee shops, and reception/administration positions over the last 8 years. By the time I am finished school (depending on a lot of variables) I expect to have 10-15 years of experience in these low-responsibility-customer-service-y-type jobs . Will this give me any edge at all over perhaps those students who didn't have jobs throughout highschool and college?

Secondly,
    Do employers today fuss much over how long it has taken you to complete a degree? I'm through the first 2 years of my bachelors and that took me 5 years... I am doing my best to pick up the pace, but I have to work nearly full-time because my city is so expensive. I am hoping to get through the next 2 years within a 3 year time frame and then a 2-year masters in 2-3 years. So.. that puts me at 8 years for my undergrad alone (in geography)... then a masters(in planning)... Is this going to look terrible to an employer? (Or for that matter, on grad school applications..)
    Last edited by Vancity; 03 Feb 2013 at 2:47 PM.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Hi, I searched the forum for someone else with a question like mine, but I have such a hard time with the search function here, it never seems to come back with much.
    Will this give me any edge at all over perhaps those students who didn't have jobs throughout highschool and college?

It doesn't hurt. I am not certain it helps. A typical planning answer: "It depends." On two absolutely equal applications, I would give you the edge.

Secondly,
    Do employers today fuss much over how long it has taken you to complete a degree? I'm through the first 2 years of my bachelors and that took me 5 years... I am doing my best to pick up the pace, but I have to work nearly full-time because my city is so expensive. I am hoping to get through the next 2 years within a 3 year time frame and then a 2-year masters in 2-3 years. So.. that puts me at 8 years for my undergrad alone (in geography)... then a masters(in planning)... Is this going to look terrible to an employer? (Or for that matter, on grad school applications..)
    I got my BA after 10 years. Grad schools were only interested in the last 2 (when I became serious). I got my master's in 7 years (lazy with the thesis). My second planning job was director in a small town, where I finished the thesis.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. High Maintenance Customers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Jul 2010, 4:24 PM
  2. Snotty Customers
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 10 Mar 2010, 8:25 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 30 Nov 2006, 9:01 AM