Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional sports teams and media markets

Registered
    Feb 2004

Professional sports teams and media markets

Can someone explain to me how it is one of the largest media markets (Los Angeles) in North America can not keep a team in the NFL? Why doesn't Salt Lake City have a major league baseball team? Is there potential for another NHL franchise in an as yet untapped city/market?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    And how come a media market that is so small (Green Bay) can have an NFL team with one of the most fervent fan bases in professional sports?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    In the case of Los Angeles, there's just not an NFL quality stadium in the area and presently no one seems to want to invest in one. I was reading how just the idea of an NFL team temporarily using the Rose Bowl stadium while a proper stadium was built just freaks out residents in Pasadena. With that said, it sounds like either the Chargers or Raiders will be moving to LA in the next few years.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    sounds like either the Chargers or Raiders will be moving to LA in the next few years.
    Sounds like the Raiders have difficulty making up their minds
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Green Bay = Manly Men, even the women are manly!
    Los Angeles = Cappachino Drinking and too busy on Sundays holding their women's handbags while they try on clothes.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Another one I've not quite figured out is the Carolinas. Why doesn't Charlotte have the state's NHL team and also why doesn't the region have an MLB team? Charlotte is a centralized location that allows the teams there to represent both North and South Carolina.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Can someone explain to me how it is one of the largest media markets (Los Angeles) in North America can not keep a team in the NFL?
    Teams always treatyen to move to LA> The Falcons are the most recent. I think a team should move and play at one of the college stadiums and apply pressure to get a stadium built. LA has not had a football team since 1994 and the league seems to be doing okay without one.

Why doesn't Salt Lake City have a major league baseball team?
    No one will go to games on Sunday. I always thought hockey would do well in SLC.

Is there potential for another NHL franchise in an as yet untapped city/market?
    The rumor is the Coyotes will move to either Seattle, KC or Quebec City in the off season since the most recent bid to keep the team in AZ fell through. If you cannot get a investment team together when the city is willing to give you $308M over the next 20 years to keep the team and Glendale and operate the arena tells you that the team is gone unless the NHL wants to significantly reduce its selling price for the team. (NHL has owned the Coyotes since 2009.)
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Professional football just doesn't fit into the LA entertainment lifestyle market in the same way that professional basketball does. The Lakers provide an environment where the big name entertainers can be easily seen and marketed along with the game.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Another one I've not quite figured out is the Carolinas. Why doesn't Charlotte have the state's NHL team and also why doesn't the region have an MLB team? Charlotte is a centralized location that allows the teams there to represent both North and South Carolina.
    I think the Raleigh area may have been chosen as a home for the Hurricanes since it always seemed to me that there were more northerners in that area (Cary after all is the the Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees). The team's owner Peter Karmanos made his money in the tech industry so maybe he also has some times to the RTP area. And in the end, the Raleigh media market isn't really that much smaller than the Charlotte one. (about 1.3 million for Charlotte and 1.1 million for Raleigh).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Teams always treatyen to move to LA> The Falcons are the most recent.
    That seems to just be a rumor invented by the mayor to try and build support for a new stadium in Atlanta.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I think the Raleigh area may have been chosen as a home for the Hurricanes since it always seemed to me that there were more northerners in that area (Cary after all is the the Centralized Area for Relocated Yankees). The team's owner Peter Karmanos made his money in the tech industry so maybe he also has some times to the RTP area. And in the end, the Raleigh media market isn't really that much smaller than the Charlotte one. (about 1.3 million for Charlotte and 1.1 million for Raleigh).
    Yes, us here in the State Capitol-area should just let Charlotte have everything I would agree that there are lots of relocated people from hockey-loving part of the country in the Raleigh area. The Panthers are doing so well in Charlotte that they are even asking the state of North Carolina for money to upgrade the stadium. Is SC going to kick in for that?

No one talks about South Carolina in this area of the state unless its the punchline to a joke or about going to Myrtle Beach. Culturally we have more in common with Virginia.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Yes, us here in the State Capitol-area should just let Charlotte have everything I would agree that there are lots of relocated people from hockey-loving part of the country in the Raleigh area. The Panthers are doing so well in Charlotte that they are even asking the state of North Carolina for money to upgrade the stadium. Is SC going to kick in for that?

No one talks about South Carolina in this area of the state unless its the punchline to a joke or about going to Myrtle Beach. Culturally we have more in common with Virginia.
    Off-topic:
    LOL! It's been a while since I lived in NC, and haven't heard that sentiment for years. But you're right about their perception of the NC/SC divide.

Typical NC resident -

Typical SC resident -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Off-topic:
    What's funny is that most people from South Carolina are aware of that perception and are even proud of it.

As for Panthers Stadium... The team itself seems to embrace the South Carolina connection but obviously when it comes to paying for it, NC will be stuck with the tab. The Panthers train in SC and also utilized Clemson's stadium while their stadium in Charlotte was being constructed but that's chump change compared to running and maintaining a stadium.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    There has been many discussions about an MLB team in Charlotte but frankly it just doesn't work. The number of people within a 2 hour drive is borderline. Weeknight games would be a bust. Many studies have acknowledged this. The AAA team (Charlotte Knights) are moving back to town from Fort Mill, SC in a new downtown stadium. Also there are at least 5 to 7 minor league teams within the 2 hour drive.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2009
    In the case of Los Angeles, there's just not an NFL quality stadium in the area and presently no one seems to want to invest in one. I was reading how just the idea of an NFL team temporarily using the Rose Bowl stadium while a proper stadium was built just freaks out residents in Pasadena. With that said, it sounds like either the Chargers or Raiders will be moving to LA in the next few years.
    I hope that we do not get the Raiders back; I still think I see too many Raiders bumper stickers as it is. Something will get built though, especially since two different developers have been hard at work to change CEQA. It'll just be a few more years down the line.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Why doesn't Salt Lake City have a major league baseball team? Is there potential for another NHL franchise in an as yet untapped city/market?
    Brocktoon is probably right about the Sunday games. We have a pretty well attended triple A team in the Bees, but that's about all we'll ever see. We wouldn't have the Jazz if it weren't for the owner just willing it to work basically. ]
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 1:24 AM
  2. Sports Teams Seen in Person.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:59 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 04 Apr 2010, 8:02 AM
  4. Professional Sports Teams
    Make No Small Plans