Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need gift ideas for 3 yr old in hospital

Registered
    Apr 2006

Need gift ideas for 3 yr old in hospital

What is an appropriate gift to send to a 3 year old that is spending multiple days in the hospital. Flowers do not seems rights, she has tons of stuffed animals and she has a milk allergy so chocolate is a no go. Any thoughts?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    What is an appropriate gift to send to a 3 year old that is spending multiple days in the hospital. Flowers do not seems rights, she has tons of stuffed animals and she has a milk allergy so chocolate is a no go. Any thoughts?
    A sticker book or an activity book and a new package of crayons? At least it would give her something to do to occupy her time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO8

A little music box
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Picture book(s) of some kind?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    A doctor toy of some sort. Something she can play doctor with as she is there.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2005
    The doctor set is a good idea. A couple of "travel" sized games and toys would be good too, like a travel-sized Etch-a-Sketch or travel-sized Connect Four.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'll second stickers and any 'small' toys. Books might be good too.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I like all of the suggestions so far. Don't let a milk allergy make you discount candy all together lots of candy does not contain any milk. (Pop rocks, hard candy). You could be the one in the future that gets blamed for the kid bouncing off the walls!

Coloring books would make the time go fast. For girls of that age probably a safe bet would be Hello Kitty or Disney.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Stickers, Crayola Color Wonder sets (Target, Walmart, etc), hair bows-barrettes-clips. I like the doctor kit suggestion too!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thank you for the ideas. She I love the doctor kit and sticker ideas but she is in the hospital to deal with issues relating to her hands.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SIMPLE card games. For example, a matching game where you flip over a card with a picture of a truck and he/she has to remember where the matching truck card is. Kind of like a simpler version of Concentration. I've also seen a picture-based version of "Go Fish".

Classic board game like Candy Land or Chutes & Ladders.

Doctor-themed coloring/activity book.

And the "Doctor Kit" is a really good idea, especially if the nursing staff has good bedside manner and will play along a little.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Books on CD, if the family has a portable player she could use.

I don't know if these are still made, but my son had some books where he'd press a button on each page and the book would "read" itself.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Atlas, T-square, triangles, scale, pencils, french curves, onion paper......

Wait thats what I would have wanted as a three year old!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    DVD's of Dora, disney princesses, barbie princesses, the latest kid movies, etc. My daughter at that age loved all of those.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    DVD's of Dora, disney princesses, barbie princesses, the latest kid movies, etc. My daughter at that age loved all of those.
    Isn't there a TV show about a little girl who's a doctor? Doreen Howser MD?

@#$%^&* princess %^&*()

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. Her parents asked for no visitors so I opted to send a balloon arrangement since her hands are off limits I figured balloons are items that should be seen and not handled.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post

@#$%^&* princess %^&*()
    No offense Vel, but my daughter at 3 was so heavily into the whole girly/princess thing that had you shown her anything else, she would have ignored it. The only non girly/princess thing she would watch was Dora. Sometimes you just gotta go with what they'll watch.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    No offense Vel, but my daughter at 3 was so heavily into the whole girly/princess thing that had you shown her anything else, she would have ignored it. The only non girly/princess thing she would watch was Dora. Sometimes you just gotta go with what they'll watch.
    Yeah, I know. <sigh>

"Math class is tough!"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, I know. <sigh>

"Math class is tough!"
    Some of it how you are geared/made. For me, math makes no sense whatsoever. However, I am very verbal and have always spiked on things that involved words. Words make sense to me and are my paint/paintbrush and easle. I also know people who are math whizzes, but are completely inept with words. In all in how you were made.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

@#$%^&* princess %^&*()
    Dora is an explorer. Carmen Sandiego leads detectives around the globe. She's a thief, but well travelled.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There is a cartoon about a little girl doctor called "Doc McStuffins" (she operates on her stuffed animals). Who knows, maybe that's based off a children's book she could read (or have read to her).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004

Airhead Barbie

Yeah, I know. <sigh>

"Math class is tough!"
    My statement was a reference to a Barbie doll issued about 20 (?) years ago. It might have been replaced by "Animal Doctor Barbie" (because, obviously, the pink aisle shoppers wouldn't understand the word veterinarian)

I am not making this up.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Dora is an explorer. Carmen Sandiego leads detectives around the globe. She's a thief, but well travelled.
    Carmen Sandiego was not referenced in the list of ideas.

As an adult character in a trenchcoat, she's very different from a lovely princess waiting to be saved or found or kissed and off to live happily ever after.

saw some superhero stuff at a recent retail experience, and had high hopes for some good Wonder Woman stuff...but the other offerings were straight out of Cinderella Ate My Daughter

Registered
    May 2005
    Carmen Sandiego was not referenced in the list of ideas.

As an adult character in a trenchcoat, she's very different from a lovely princess waiting to be saved or found or kissed and off to live happily ever after.

saw some superhero stuff at a recent retail experience, and had high hopes for some good Wonder Woman stuff...but the other offerings were straight out of Cinderella Ate My Daughter
    A lot of the recent Disney Princess stuff has took a turn where the female characters are often the ones saving the day. Tangled, Brave, etc...

They're actually pretty good flicks.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    A lot of the recent Disney Princess stuff has took a turn where the female characters are often the ones saving the day. Tangled, Brave, etc...

They're actually pretty good flicks.
    Don't forget Pricess and the Frog. Tiana dream is to open a restaurant based upon her own hard work and savings.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Christmas Gift Ideas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 3:44 PM
  2. I need gift ideas
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 24 Dec 2005, 11:45 AM
  3. Wedding gift ideas
    Friday Afternoon Club