Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Citywide retail/service business market analysis RFP examples?

Registered
    Feb 2013

Citywide retail/service business market analysis RFP examples?

Looking for examples or suggestions on what to include in an RFP for a citywide retail/service business market analysis? My City is 30,000 ppl, no downtown to speak of, with a lot of restaurants and a Costco. Ultimately we are hoping to attract more retail and service uses.

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    There are many firms that can provide you with type of service. What ever you do stay away from Buxton.

What is the genesis of the need for the RFP? Is it leakage, citizens demanding more services or the need for more tax dollars? I grabbed a lot of sample RFP's back in 08/09 for a downtown redevelopment RFP I put out. I know that is not quite the same but most downtown plans have an element of retail attraction as part of the deliverable. Private message me with an email address and I will send you some of samples that I have.

Cardinal is the resident expert on these items. He should be able to offer a much greater insight.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Thanks! I'm new...not sure I can PM yet (at least I can't figure out how!)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We just did something similar in my fair city. Once you've got PM capabilities I'll send it to you.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you want to contact me at staff@placedynamics.com I will send you some examples from my files.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My city used Buxton, it was allright, nothing earth shattering. At my previous gig we used BAE for a similar study, but they are way to high priced IMO. Have you asked your neighbors to the west Mateo or San Carols if they have performed such studies? Just curious if you may just want to replicate whatever has been previously approved since the demographics are some what the same. And yes, a mighty fine costco you have
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Buxton and many others use a lot of canned data and not much in the way of expert analysis. We have had discussions on Cyburbia about the many problems with the data and algorithms on which these are based. At the local level there are too many sources of error for the results to be meaningful. Besides, if you are going to spend the money on a market analysis, you should get more than a couple hundred dollars worth of figures the consultant purchased from ESRI.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Have you asked your neighbors to the west Mateo or San Carols if they have performed such studies? Just curious if you may just want to replicate whatever has been previously approved since the demographics are some what the same. And yes, a mighty fine costco you have
    Thank you all for your help. I am inquiring with our local planning pals from other jurisdictions as well, but new and creative ideas are what we're about!

Registered
    Feb 2013

A better approach

Julie, I suggest you contact Mike Berne, an innovative retail consultant with a great national reputation. I worked with him in Cleveland, Akron, and Florida. Here's his info:
    Michael J. Berne
    President, MJB Consulting
    85 Fourth Avenue, Suite 6A
    New York, New York 10003
    Phone: 917-816-8367

Good luck!
    KSA

Registered
    Apr 2013

Inexpensive option...

Julie, my brother-in-law works for a group that does economic analysis for the state of Utah. People were constantly calling him and asking for this type of market analysis and he had to tell them that he couldn't help them with it. He eventually just decided to start doing this work on the side and we partnered up (I'm the techy side of things).

What I am getting at is that there are plenty of better options for a small municipality than to go with the big boys. I know of several other small firms besides us as well. You will get more attention and a lower price by using one of these groups. It seems silly to pay a premium for canned data and analysis.

Anyway, you can see on this sample report the kinds of things you should be asking for. Also, make sure there is a prescriptive portion to the report. This is probably the most important of all. This portion of the report will give you contact information for companies that have expressed interest in expansion into your municipality or municipalities similar to yours.

I can also send you portions of the RFPs that led to these reports if you would like to contact me.

LeakageAnalysis.pdf
    PrescriptiveReport.pdf

Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2013

Thank you!

My city is interviewing consultants today for our retail/commercial market analysis project. Thank you all for your help in directing us and best of luck to those of you who are interviewing!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Feb 2008, 3:39 PM
  2. Market area analysis
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jan 2008, 4:45 PM
  3. Retail matching service
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Feb 2007, 9:16 AM