Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What are the chances of redevelopment in California being revived (if any)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2011

What are the chances of redevelopment in California being revived (if any)?

Would certainly help in terms of job prospects.

Registered
    May 2010
    I don't think redevelopment agencies will be coming back as they were any time soon. That said, there is some movement in Sacramento to get Tax Increment Financing as an option for cities. Darrell Steinberg who helped pass SB 375 is the one working on it. They talked about this at a conference hosted by Move LA (movela.org) last week. Check out this article if you're interested:

http://www.citywatchla.com/lead-stor...y-is-on-a-roll

Registered
    May 2013
    In San Diego, my former home town, an organization called Civc San Diego is attempting to fill the void: http://www.civicsd.com/ I believe that for the short-term at least redevelopment will have to be a private or partly private affair as too many people are jaded by big government and big government spending, plus the negative press that some redevelopment agencies have gotten.

-Chris

Registered
    Feb 2007
    None. The legislature killed RDAs and whatever they bring back would be a shill of their former selves.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2013
    Perhaps interested stakeholders, like residents and business and property owners, need to take the iniative and fill the void with their own private groups, associations, and/or corporations that can take over much of the activities and role of redevelopment agencies. They can voluntarilly contribute to it, like a membership and/or charitable organization, and those funds can then be used to improve or redevelop their neighborhoods and can be used as loans or grants to small start-ups for economic growth, to established businesses for business retention, and to property owners for property improvement. In this economy and day and age, private individuals and entities will have to take over much of the role and responsibilities of government. As for planning jobs, these groups would still need expertise and consultation. Just a thought....

-Chris

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by chrisforte View post
    Perhaps interested stakeholders, like residents and business and property owners, need to take the iniative and fill the void with their own private groups, associations, and/or corporations that can take over much of the activities and role of redevelopment agencies. They can voluntarilly contribute to it, like a membership and/or charitable organization, and those funds can then be used to improve or redevelop their neighborhoods and can be used as loans or grants to small start-ups for economic growth, to established businesses for business retention, and to property owners for property improvement. In this economy and day and age, private individuals and entities will have to take over much of the role and responsibilities of government. As for planning jobs, these groups would still need expertise and consultation. Just a thought....

-Chris
    What you are suggesting is a BID which I do believe is still legal in California.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    What you are suggesting is a BID which I do believe is still legal in California.
    I work for one in California. But a PBID is usually limited in size and scope, isn't it? As compared to a redevelopment agency?

-Chris

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yes and takes a super majority to implement thanks to prop 218. Good Luck with that.

Registered
    May 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Yes and takes a super majority to implement thanks to prop 218. Good Luck with that.
    There are actually many BIDs in California, with even new ones starting to be formed: http://newcityamerica.com/districtsformed.asp http://newcityamerica.com/whatsnew.asp, San Diego, San Jose, Sacramento, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and many others have at least one or more.

-Chris

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by chrisforte View post
    I work for one in California. But a PBID is usually limited in size and scope, isn't it? As compared to a redevelopment agency?

-Chris
    A CRA was CA version of TIF. TIF's and BIDs are two very different animals. Everything you mention in your previous post is within the perview of a BID. If you take a conservative view of the law then form a CDC.

What you are failing to see is CRA were TIF where they could capture the tax increment and use it for the agency and project. This funding stream was compulsory for everyone in the district and typically that amount grew overtime. If I remember correctly when the CRA was disbanded CA swept over $1 billion of previous tax capture from CRA.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Good move on California's part to kill off the CRAs. They are cesspools of corruption and rob schools, fire, and police of badly-needed funds.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    What you are failing to see is CRA were TIF where they could capture the tax increment and use it for the agency and project. This funding stream was compulsory for everyone in the district and typically that amount grew overtime. If I remember correctly when the CRA was disbanded CA swept over $1 billion of previous tax capture from CRA.
    Exactly. CRA was a cash cow for city's besides the whole sales tax revenue. Most Cities and Counties will see a one time windfall this fiscal year due to the disbandment of the CRAs. Well I don't agree with Hill, because our CRA did some great things and some things that were considered questionable, but in the end made positive strides and now we no longer have any economic development funds to do the work to fight blight in our downtown.

That list by chris involved many large cities in CA, however many smaller Cities reflect a very conservative view to finances that my Council has, as well as their tax paying members. Forming a BID for the majority of cities in CA is a hard sell simply because many business owners just don't get the concepts and only see the bottom line:

A tax increase.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another chances thread
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Mar 2011, 8:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Sep 2010, 1:14 AM
  3. What are my chances?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Nov 2009, 4:27 PM