Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wonderful Wednesdays

Registered
    Feb 2004

Wonderful Wednesdays

This may be hump day but it feels like far more of the week lies before me than behind me. The peak of the mountain still looks pretty distant. The ocean is wide and the international date line has not yet been crossed....I don't know, just fill in your own analogy.

In its own way, I think Wednesdays can be worse than Mondays. With Monday you trudge into work with an attitude of doomed resignation. Yeah, the whole lousy, horrible, stinking week is ahead and there is no illusory hope of things being 'over' any time soon, so you just put your head down and lurch in the only direction you can, forward. One does not experience the torments of hope on a Monday. Wednesday, however, taunts us with both hope and promise and while the stars manage to emerge - however distant - before our eyes the blows continue to rain down upon us relentlessly with no respite.

Is there anything good to be said for Wednesday?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Here of late, Wednesday is both a day of hope and day of disappointment. The guy painting my truck has been telling me that it will be ready on Wednesday for the last 6 weeks. As Wednesday waxes, I get a feeling of hopeful anticipation which fades into disappointing despair as Wednesday wanes. My saving grace is that Wednesday is chicken pie day at the local greasy spoon so I end the day indifferent.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Milk is cheap at the grocery store up the street on Wednesdays. Considering how much milk I go through at my place I have to admit I get a little giddy on Wednesday mornings to go buy lots of cheap milk.

Uuuuuh. Yeah that's all I've got.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    We have our staff meeting on Wednesday, so I cannot say it is a day I love. But today with most of the staff out either sick, caring for the sick or on vacation, the staff meeting was called off. So this Wednesday ain't so bad.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Should be wonderful Wednesday for me. Meeting some former co-workers for lunch. Haven't seen any of them for at least two years. I just may forget to go back to the office afterwards.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    <snip>
    I suppose, because I just watched the movie this past Saturday, this popped into my head concerning Wednesdays...

When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I suppose, because I just watched the movie this past Saturday, this popped into my head concerning Wednesdays...

I actually considered starting a "It's four days past it, but oh well" thread today.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008

I can't believe I missed groundhog day again. I always forget. Shoot.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I enjoy Wednesday because it's bowling night.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    Wednesday is the day that our one and only local newspaper comes out. As is the case with most small local papers, their readers consider the word of the editor and reporters as close to gospel as you can get.

Unfortunately (as is also the case with small local papers), more often than not, this paper is full of interesting misinformation about the county and its operations. As a result, my Wednesdays are often full of dealing with individuals concerned with whatever they read in the newspaper.

Today's edition included a nice bit about how Planning and Zoning, and the Water Department, are being moved downtown to the current EDC building, something I was aware of, but the current residents of the building were not....whoops.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

My son and I watched it on Saturday too. A wonderful Bill Murray movie.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My meetings are mondays and tuesdays so by Wednesday I'm relieved that the meetings are over.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I go to senior lunch on Wednesdays so I can hear stories of growing up here from the old folks and get some good mass produced comfort food - so Wednesdays work for me

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Wednesday is my crap why am I still working day, when's the weekend?
    At least I do get actual work done since meetings are overwith.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Wednesday is my buy two chances in the lottery day. That boosts my spirit until the next morning when I check the numbers and all hope is once more crushed.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. It's a Wonderful City!
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 10:17 AM
  2. What would Ms. Wonderful Say?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 11 Jan 2005, 9:55 PM
  3. It's a Wonderful Life-