Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Smelling a rat: the questions 'they' avoid (and other red flags)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Smelling a rat: the questions 'they' avoid (and other red flags)

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Gotta love this zoning definition -

And that is not the opening line for the prohibited animal list.

this is always good to have -
    We had some guy come in once asking about our exotic animal regulations once. It was pretty funny watching him dodge the question as to what type of animal he even wanted on his property. The impression I ended coming away with is he wanted to keep hyenas but he never once explicitly said this.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO8

Oh I love (despise) those situations where someone thinks they are being clever by asking 'hypothetical' questions. The first tip off you usually get is when they frame things with a leading line of inquiry...."isn't it true that your Zoning Code doesn't specifically regulate the number of animals one can keep as a pet? and isn't it true that the word 'breeding' isn't specifically defined in the Code?.....

Gee, you're not really wanting to ask me whether kennels are permitted in residential zones, are you?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It's funny you mention this. The following is an actual conversation i had on the phone yesterday at 3:30 or so. Holy cow.

guy: "I've got a question about what kind of fence I can have in my front yard. I live on a corner."

ursus: What's your address? The codes can be a little complicated, it'll be easier for me to tell you and for you to understand if I can look at a quick aerial.

guy: Well, I just want to know how tall it can be, and where it can be certain heights. I've heard things. (suspicious tone creeps in)

ursus: So, I can tell you if you can tell me where your property is.

guy: I don't need to tell you that. Just tell me what I want to know. (belligerent tone creeps in)

ursus: Fine. Which yard?

guy: What do you mean? (genuinely stupid tone creeps in)

ursus: I mean, where do you want the fence?

guy: That's why I'm asking where I can have it. I need to fence the yards I've got because I don't really have a back yard to fence.

ursus: OK, now I've really got to see it from the aerial. Where do you live?

guy: Why does that matter? (truly stupid tone creeps in)

this went on for a good 5 minutes before he caved and gave me his address when the codes didn't make sense to him.

And yes, he wanted to put a giant fence all around his front yard, sort of the "venuzuelan compound" look.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone ever looked at a conceptual or site plan and been bowled over by the conspicuous absence of something? An innocent omission, no doubt?

In playing this game certain forms must be observed.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Everyday for me.

As a Virgo, I am a natural investigator, so I am pretty good at finding out the real question.
    A typical caller (usually on a cell phone in the car) "I'm calling find out what zoning a piece of property is"
    Me: "Ok, what is the address."
    Person on phone: "I'm not sure, you know the one at the corner of main and smith?"
    Me: "No I don't, do you know that side of the intersection its on?"
    Person on phone, "Um, its right next to the big yellow house with a big tree in front, I was driving by it today and saw a for sale sign"
    Me: "Let me see if I can pull up an aeriel and figure it out, ok, its xxx, main, street."
    Person on phone: "Hold on a sec, I got another call coming in"
    Me: "Um alright" now waiting
    Person on phone: "I'm back, sorry that was blah, blah, blah" (see I stopped listening here because I dont care...)
    Me: "That zoning of the property is residential"
    Person on phone, "Oh, I was calling to find out if I could run my landscaping business off that property."
    (Me thinking, just ask me the d@mn question then and stop waisting my time!)
    "We do really good work and I'll only have about 3 large trucks parked there with my employees leaving their cars parked there all day"
    Me: "Well, residential zoning does not allow you to run a busines of that nature off the property."
    Person on phone: Hangs up immediately
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    We have a big problem with people illegally subdividing lands in the hills and then illegally building on them and illegally diverting watercourses to provide water for their illegal marijuana growing operation. I'm a master at smelling rats.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    We have a big problem with people illegally subdividing lands in the hills and then illegally building on them and illegally diverting watercourses to provide water for their illegal marijuana growing operation. I'm a master at smelling rats.
    It's easy to smell the rats that are tokin' up.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Discussions We Avoid At All Costs...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 04 Oct 2010, 4:04 PM
  2. State Flags, AIB Hilldweller
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Oct 2008, 12:59 PM
  3. Flags at Half Staff