Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Non-drug-induced moments of surrealism

Registered
    Aug 2005

Non-drug-induced moments of surrealism

Have you ever had an experience when either during, or after, you reflect upon it and think, "Whoooa, dude, that was totally surreal." I'm sure there are people out there *cough*imaplanner*cough* who might have stories of good or bad trips but I'm more interested in those occurrences when you were sober.

One that pops into my mind is when my mom and I were on vacation in Austria. We decided, like any decent card-carrying female, to take the Sound of Music tour in and around Salzburg. As we were riding in a charter bus filled with tourists & SOM-aphiles from around the globe, through the hilly countryside, bellowing at the top of our lungs, "Doe! A deer, a female deer" in our cacophony of accents, I had a moment of clarity and thought to myself, "Wow, this is kind of surreal." The moment of clarity passed and I joined back in on the chorus.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Have you ever had an experience when either during, or after, you reflect upon it and think, "Whoooa, dude, that was totally surreal." I'm sure there are people out there *cough*imaplanner*cough* who might have stories of good or bad trips but I'm more interested in those occurrences when you were sober.
    Hey! I'm usually sober. But um... yeah, sounds like you aren't interested in my stories
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Hey! I'm usually sober. But um... yeah, sounds like you aren't interested in my stories
    Since you're the only one to respond to this thread I'll take your stories, brown acid and all.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Once I called my friend. The phone didn't ring. He was just there. We had called each other at the exact same time.

There was another time, same friend, We were driving in town and I stopped at a stop sign. We sat there for a moment before we realized we both were waiting for the stop sign to turn green. We laughed so hard. Okay, that one was substance-induced.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Once I called my friend. The phone didn't ring. He was just there. We had called each other at the exact same time.

There was another time, same friend, We were driving in town and I stopped at a stop sign. We sat there for a moment before we realized we both were waiting for the stop sign to turn green. We laughed so hard. Okay, that one was substance-induced.
    I can relate. Two friends on a motorcycle pulled up to stop light. Both assumed the other would put his feet down. Neither did. Gravity ruled. Hilarity ensued.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    So like this one time, I was totally sober and I was like "woah. surreal!"

Totally relate to the stop sign thing otterpop. I've done that before, totally sober. I never really thought it a surreal experience though, just a giant brain fart.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Sitting on a rock outside our campsite in Fish Lake (Central Utah) while the other guys (scouts) were down at the lake. I sat there as it got dark and watched a doe walk slowly up to me and finally put her face right up to mine, touch me with her nose and then walk off. It took a long time. Literally I sat as still as possible for about 40 minutes while this deer walked up to me so she wouldn't run away. I sat so long and so still that it felt like I was having a dream or an out of body experience. I was just enthralled watching how slowly and deliberately this deer moved, coming toward me.

To this day I don't think I've ever seen anything as beautiful as that deer just right there in front of me in the dark. Consequently, I do not hunt. I just can't. It was....well, surreal.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

When the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series in 1981 (IIRC), a large crowd of jubilant Phillies fans converged on the college quadrangle. I shouted the name of a local convenience store to the drunk and energetic crowd from a nearby dormitory window. In a second, the crowd started chanting the name of the store, turned en masse, and charged off in the direction of the store. In a snap, the quad was desolate. Absolutely surreal.

My GF and I high-tailed it to my car and took the back way to my off-campus house, knowing that things would not turn out well. Indeed, they trashed the store.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't know how to explain this without coming off stranger than I already do, but moments of surrealism occur throughout my days with some frequency. It didn't used to be that way but once upon a time about 22 years ago a substance-induced moment stopped me in my tracks. I realized then that everyone you meet is sleepwalking their entire lives; that humans are only potentially self-aware, and that the essence of the various religious teachings found throughout the world is to bring humanity to an elevated state of self-awareness.
    This realization altered my life and sent me on a spiritual quest that continues to this day. If everyone could see all the time how truly strange the repertoire of what we take to be normality really is, then all of our lives would be conducted differently. Many people (sounds like dandy is one) get occasional glimpses - alcoholics refer to these as 'moments of clarity' and psychologists might call them 'peak experiences', but at these times we separate from our ego and we become self-aware for a short span of time. Our thoughts stop in their tracks and we are struck by awareness of oneself and how strange it is to find oneself where they are at that moment doing/observing what they are doing. The sensation registers as if one is looking through their eyes instead of with their eyes, or that the seat of one's consciousness is located slightly above and behind their head.....right about where you see halos depicted.

Most of the time we experience these moments - think how bizarre - and promptly go back to sleep. But if one intentionally cultivates that sense of being present in the moment to the best of their ability on a regular basis those moments of 'peak experience' increase in frequency.

My last non-drug induced moment of surrealism happened at the grocery store. I looked down the cereal aisle and was struck by the rainbow of garrish/brash colors found on all the packaging as if each box of cereal is shouting louder than the next to grab your attention. The customers in the aisle were gravitating to the most brightly colored boxes, looking at them and putting them into their shopping carts. On an intellectual level we may understand that using brightly colored packaging is a marketing technique, but unless we are self-aware at the moment we don't understand the scope of how deep the illusion is that we're actually in control of our own actions and decisions; we don't buy cereal nearly as much as cereal buys us.

I like threads about the banal because it encourages us to question the repertoire of 'normality' that surrounds us.
    Last edited by Maister; 08 Feb 2013 at 9:31 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    I can't think of a specific time, but it often occurs when I'm having a conversation with one of my daughters. It's usually one of those adult-like conversations where we're discussing something that they have clearly been thinking about and pondering.

At some point during the conversation, it always hits me that here is this tiny person who came into this world as nothing (let alone that I had a hand in it) and they have this consciousness that is cute and profound at the same time.

It makes me feel secure when this happens. I don't know why. Perhaps its because I can feel my spirit within them.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moments of 'surrealism' or changes in the state of consciousness, occur under a variety of circumstances and with varying degrees of intensity. Sometimes sudden or unusual changes in external circumstances can bring them about (e.g. busses full of tourists belting out showtunes, crowds of drunks suddenly charging off to a liquor store and leaving empty quads, or witnessing extreme beauty). Sometimes emotionally charged moments can kick us up several notches - including anything from extreme tenderness to the terror of a battlefield. Physical extremes can also bring them on (e.g. "runner's high", or that caused by pain or discomfort) and I'm convinced that's why ritual fasting is a spiritual practice found in so many different traditions (from native American spirit quests to Lenten fasts). Yes, psychotropic drugs can also induce these states as well (as many former hippies can attest).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Ray Bradbury called 3:30 a.m. "The Soul's Midnight". I often have moments where I feel like I understand the workings of the world when I'm up at that hour looking out my window to the street. It's the only time the world feels truly empty and asleep. I should write more at that time.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 1998
    There was one city council meeting ...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think one of reasons that I never seriously participated in drug use is that I already see the world differently than most of the people that I know. I've always said, half-jokingly, that I see the world the way that it is, it's everyone else who has a warped view.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I don't know how to explain this without coming off stranger than I already do, but moments of surrealism occur throughout my days with some frequency. It didn't used to be that way but once upon a time about 22 years ago a substance-induced moment stopped me in my tracks. I realized then that everyone you meet is sleepwalking their entire lives; that humans are only potentially self-aware, and that the essence of the various religious teachings found throughout the world is to bring humanity to an elevated state of self-awareness.
    This realization altered my life and sent me on a spiritual quest that continues to this day. If everyone could see all the time how truly strange the repertoire of what we take to be normality really is, then all of our lives would be conducted differently. Many people (sounds like dandy is one) get occasional glimpses - alcoholics refer to these as 'moments of clarity' and psychologists might call them 'peak experiences', but at these times we separate from our ego and we become self-aware for a short span of time. Our thoughts stop in their tracks and we are struck by awareness of oneself and how strange it is to find oneself where they are at that moment doing/observing what they are doing. The sensation registers as if one is looking through their eyes instead of with their eyes, or that the seat of one's consciousness is located slightly above and behind their head.....right about where you see halos depicted.

Most of the time we experience these moments - think how bizarre - and promptly go back to sleep. But if one intentionally cultivates that sense of being present in the moment to the best of their ability on a regular basis those moments of 'peak experience' increase in frequency.

My last non-drug induced moment of surrealism happened at the grocery store. I looked down the cereal aisle and was struck by the rainbow of garrish/brash colors found on all the packaging as if each box of cereal is shouting louder than the next to grab your attention. The customers in the aisle were gravitating to the most brightly colored boxes, looking at them and putting them into their shopping carts. On an intellectual level we may understand that using brightly colored packaging is a marketing technique, but unless we are self-aware at the moment we don't understand the scope of how deep the illusion is that we're actually in control of our own actions and decisions; we don't buy cereal nearly as much as cereal buys us.

I like threads about the banal because it encourages us to question the repertoire of 'normality' that surrounds us.
    My "surreal" or getting a brief glimpse of heaven moments come one of two ways. One is via nature. I can see the handiwork of God by seeing how perfectfully things work together, both on the micro and macro level. This gives me the bigger picture moment. Secondly, I've been involved in several groups where the self disapeared into the group. There really was harmony and united by the "Holy Spirit". These moments proved fleeting sadly.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 08 Feb 2013 at 1:34 PM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moments where you think of BUN
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 11:44 PM
  2. Moronic Moments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jul 2006, 5:28 PM
  3. Drug rant
    Friday Afternoon Club