Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban Planning BS coupled with MPA-Urban Planning Track....

Urban Planning BS coupled with MPA-Urban Planning Track....

Hi guys long time no chat. Well fate brought me to Los Angeles and as of now I am looking at options here. One of which is a program in Urban Studies and Planning at Cal State Northridge which then leads to an MPA- Urban Planning track.

I already have a BA in Economics/Government. Most of my work has been in research for policy tanks, non-profits and law firms. So I am going into a totally different field.

Would the BA/MPA track be a good in road in planning in California?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Check the various masters programs' admissions policies, you may not need the second BA.

I know that I could get into the MPA program but I just want a BA/BS in Urban Planning. The undergrad has courses in urban design, sustainability, housing, etc.

Anyone?

What are you career goals?

I personally don't see the value added for the second bachelors in Planning. The MPA is what will open the most doors, even to planning jobs.
    The content contrarian

Well, I didn;'t want to be limited to the policy side of planning only. I am really interested in urban design too. I mean does a Bachelors provide that kind of training, education?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Your best bet would be to go into a masters program with a strong design component. Since you can already do policy, you're not really losing out by pursing a more a design oriented degree. A second bachelors honestly seems like a waste when a masters can open so many more doors.

So basically a BS in urban Planning is not considered a professional enough degree to get involved with planning?

Quote Originally posted by manoverde84 View post
    So basically a BS in urban Planning is not considered a professional enough degree to get involved with planning?
    Entry level planning jobs typically require a Master's - http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Life-Physical...l-planners.htm

An MPA by itself would open the door to planning, especially if you take planning-related coursework. There is little value added with a second social science bachelors. What type of design work do you want to do when you graduate? Some planning schools are heavily oriented in policy, so it's important to know the curriculum before you commit.

Cismontane is from California(?) and is in the design + planning field and may be a good contact for your situation.
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by manoverde84 View post
    Well, I didn;'t want to be limited to the policy side of planning only. I am really interested in urban design too. I mean does a Bachelors provide that kind of training, education?
    2nd bachelors is a waste of your time. What are your career goals? What do you want to do when you graduate? Do you want to stick in CA? Honestly, if you want design you need to hightail out of Northridge and into one of the Polys or USC. Those are the strongest design schools in the state.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 May 2011, 10:19 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 5:05 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 20 Sep 2005, 11:24 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 12:07 AM