Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The (pathetically lame) new romantics club

Registered
    May 2005

The (pathetically lame) new romantics club

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    It's always a good thing for a relationship when there's no turning back! I think the first Valentine's Day I had with my wife I was in Argentina. We were writing letters back and forth (it was 1991, people still wrote letters).

You know what I'm going to do? For next Valentine's I'm going to dig all the old letters out and make them into a book. That way the kids can see that we actually used to enjoy talking to each other! I think she'd like that, actually.
    Wow. That's a great idea! But too late for this year.

Maybe we should start a New Romantics Club. Only married, sappy, lame dudes are allowed in our club. We will talk about new ways to romance our women, how we never actually follow through on these plans, and why on god's earth our women are still with us.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post

Maybe we should start a New Romantics Club. Only married, sappy, lame dudes are allowed in our club. We will talk about new ways to romance our women, how we never actually follow through on these plans, and why on god's earth our women are still with us.
    Book it. I'll probably post late at night when I'm feeling sappy instead of weird, when i'll be posting in the Soul's Midnight. Yep, book it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005

I'm in. We can share ideas about things we will never accomplish in our romantic endeavors.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO8

Yeah, well next year I'm going to take Mrs. Maister on that long-awaited/delayed vacation in Europe.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I just put this in Planner's Valentines but it's so sappy and so romantic that I just realized it belongs right here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lyVCnp5vbk8
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Four our 10-year wedding anniversary last year I was going to print a bunch of pictures and put them in a book in chronological order. Then I realized the first 3-4 years of our relationship was pre-digital camera and finding pics would be too difficult. There went that idea.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Four our 10-year wedding anniversary last year I was going to print a bunch of pictures and put them in a book in chronological order. Then I realized the first 3-4 years of our relationship was pre-digital camera and finding pics would be too difficult. There went that idea.
    Pre-digital we took so many rolls of film that we never developed. I have a lunch sack full of them. Sometimes for fun we take a few rolls to RiteAid and get them developed. So much we've forgotten we even did. I'll bet you could find them. How long till the anniversary?

Registered
    May 2005
    Pre-digital we took so many rolls of film that we never developed. I have a lunch sack full of them. Sometimes for fun we take a few rolls to RiteAid and get them developed. So much we've forgotten we even did. I'll bet you could find them. How long till the anniversary?
    I got about 5 weeks till our 11 year rolls around.

I'm inspired now. I love this club!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

I am in. So I am going to pick up my socks and take out the garbage without being told to. (These are new ways to romance my wife that I don't have to follow through with, right?)

There is no doubt why my wife is still with me. Even after all these years, I am still a catch.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We have a toaster oven in our break area that's at least 20 years old and I noticed there's a fair bit of crud build-up on the burners. Based on past experiences, I would place my odds of successfully cooking a cheese sandwich or pizza without a minor fire emergency to be about 80%.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    We have a toaster oven in our break area that's at least 20 years old and I noticed there's a fair bit of crud build-up on the burners. Based on past experiences, I would place my odds of successfully cooking a cheese sandwich or pizza without a minor fire emergency to be about 80%.
    So you've got a thing for toasters? Well who are we to judge. Light your fire, my good man. Light your fire! One day, the world will recognize your deep love for the toaster, and sanction your romance. You don't have to wait for that day here, Sir. This is the New, Pathetic, Hopelessly Romantic's club and you and your toaster-lover are welcome here. We are incorporated off-shore so pretty much anything goes.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    So you've got a thing for toasters? Well who are we to judge. Light your fire, my good man. Light your fire! One day, the world will recognize your deep love for the toaster, and sanction your romance. You don't have to wait for that day here, Sir. This is the New, Pathetic, Hopelessly Romantic's club and you and your toaster-lover are welcome here. We are incorporated off-shore so pretty much anything goes.

Come on baby light my fire!
    Gonna set the world on fiiiiyah!

Now that's romantic.

Maybe that's just the toastesterone talking.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Come on baby light my fire!
    Gonna set the world on fiiiiyah!

Now that's romantic.
    Nah this is Romantics

What I like about you
    You really know how to dance
    When you go up, down, jump around
    Think about true romance, yeah

Keep on whispering in my ear
    Tell me all the things that I wanna hear
    'Cause it's true
    That's what I like about you
    Wow
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I thought this was a thread about Spandau Ballet, Adam Ant, Ultravox, and all those other "new romantic" bands...

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon

Carry on.

Registered
    May 2005
    I did it!

The photo book is not as extensive as I would have liked, but I was able to include about 75-80 pictures, about 10 of which I had to locate in the basement and scan. I pick it up tonight.

Tomorrow we are going to my mother in laws to celebrate my younger daughter's 7th birthday. We can't celebrate on her real birthday because my wife and the girls will be on their way to Florida on that day.

Tomorrow just happens to be our wedding anniversary as well. I'm going to surprise my wife with the photo book while we are at my mother in laws. I'm also having her brother pick me up a small anniversary cake and surprise her with that as well.

I will look like a star in front of her family.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I did it!

The photo book is not as extensive as I would have liked, but I was able to include about 75-80 pictures, about 10 of which I had to locate in the basement and scan. I pick it up tonight.

Tomorrow we are going to my mother in laws to celebrate my younger daughter's 7th birthday. We can't celebrate on her real birthday because my wife and the girls will be on their way to Florida on that day.

Tomorrow just happens to be our wedding anniversary as well. I'm going to surprise my wife with the photo book while we are at my mother in laws. I'm also having her brother pick me up a small anniversary cake and surprise her with that as well.

I will look like a star in front of her family.
    And folks, right there is how the game is played.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    And folks, right there is how the game is played.
    I know, right? Double bonus points to our founding member, showing us how it's done.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Feb 2013, 3:39 PM
  2. Magic tricks, lame or otherwise
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 5:22 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Jul 2012, 7:33 AM
  4. Lame Team Mascots
    Friday Afternoon Club