Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: EIR chapters - learning CEQA

Registered
    Aug 2007

EIR chapters - learning CEQA

Hello! Here's a question to you well-seasoned CEQA practitioners!

I'd seriously appreciate it if you can help me out with the following. I want to know:

I am new to writing CEQA docs, and while initial studies seem easy, EIR chapters are a TON of work. I am doing as little "re-inventing the wheel" as possible, but I still find existing conditions and impact discussions are not "a snap." I am doing work on my personal time (ie, unpaid) to learn. (Somehow, despite a planning degree, I managed to take no CEQA doc writing classes and am learning on the job). So:

1) How long did it take you to get the handle on writing EIR chapters?
    2) How much time on your own did you spend?

Many thanks!

Signature
    "Believe. No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit."

~ Helen Keller

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Hmmm. In my experience, writing an EIR or EIS section (for NEPA) is mostly a learn on the job thing, because there are unique preferences from the clients and from review/regulatory agencies that aren’t necessarily written down anywhere (or written in an easily readable form anywhere), and often the proposed projects are unique enough that there isn’t a “template” already prepared from a previous EIR. My advice would be to gather as many examples as you can and use these to get ideas for your current report. On my own time I've taken trainings from CA AEP and attended seminars at APA conferences to stay up to date on CEQA legislation.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Thanks so much for your response !
    "Believe. No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit."

~ Helen Keller

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:59 PM
  2. CEQA guides
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2009, 11:58 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Aug 2008, 2:04 PM
  4. What is your view on APA chapters?