Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beer, wine, and liquor consumption

Registered
    Feb 2004

Beer, wine, and liquor consumption

It's no secret I'm a beer man. I like beer. I also like wine but don't drink it nearly as often. When it comes to liquor I almost never drink it but when I do its either because I am at a formal social occasion or I'm home and on a 'mission' to achieve a certain state.

For those occasions when you do consume alcohol what percent of the time do you find yourself drinking beer vs wine vs liquor?
    Me?
    Beer = 85% of the time
    Wine = 10% of the time
    Liquor = 5% of the time

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I was just thinking about this as last night I picked up at Target my favorite local brew marked down to 6.49 for the six back (instead of the usual 9.49). Guess I'll need to drink those fast

For me:

Beer: 80%
    Wine: 19%
    Liquor: 1%
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Beer - 75%
    Liquor - 20%
    Wine - 5%

However, I am a streaky drinker. Sometimes I get an inkling for wine, or a particular liquor, and I will partake in those for a bit much more regularly.

By the way, great topic for a Friday. Due to my food poisoning last week, I haven't had a drink in almost 2 weeks. I have the thirst for some ice cold beer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I was just thinking about this as last night I picked up at Target my favorite local brew marked down to 6.49 for the six back (instead of the usual 9.49).
    $9.49 for a six pack? bb You have demonstrated yourself to be an individual having culture and refined tastes. What may we ask is your favorite local brew?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I do like my beer. I use the app Untappd to track all the beers I drink. In just over a year I've drank 104 unique brews. That said, I also like Sailor Jerry's and Coke and 7 & 7's.

Beer - 70%
    Liquor - 25% (almost never order out but drink it at home)
    Wine - 5%
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I drink (or used to) about once a month (when I wasn't playing soccer). On those few occasions my consumption was:

90% beer
    9% vodka
    1% white wine
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    $9.49 for a six pack? bb You have demonstrated yourself to be an individual having culture and refined tastes. What may we ask is your favorite local brew?
    It's from a local brewery called Big Boss and the brew is Bad Penny. After I started drinking local brews from around here I couldn't go back to national beer. I drink quality not quantity.

"dark brown ale is slightly sweet with a caramel and dark fruit finish. A show case of fine English malts, floor-malted the old way. We use pale, chocolate and crystal malts to produce a complex but easy drinking dark ale. Very reminiscent of northern English ales"

It is amazing. If you are ever in NC and find yourself confronted with a bevy of in-state brews, that is a sure-fire winner! I can plug for many local brews around here, Duck Rabbit and Full Steam are other great in-state breweries.

Beer-0%
    Wine-0%
    Liquor-0%

I don't drink alchohol, but not for the reasons people think. I don't like the taste of about 99% percent. And yes, I've had wine, beer and other alcohol. To me, beer has a really, really nasty taste, and I've had my share of it. What little I do like-asti, white wine, I like just a taste of it-i.e., a glass and I'm good. I just like water, pop and juice instead. I also grew up in an environment where there wasn't a whole lot of drinking, so I never developed a taste for it. My family's vices were smoking and eating.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When it comes to liquor I almost never drink it but when I do its either because I am at a formal social occasion or I'm home and on a 'mission' to achieve a certain state.
    Just wanted to add the other rare occasions at home I consume liquor is when I have a shot of Aalborg Akvavit after an invigorating afternoon of winter sports activities.

EDIT: b_b's stock just went throught the roof after that last post.
    Last edited by Maister; 15 Feb 2013 at 10:20 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'm a beer snob. I admit to liking good quality beer - mostly craft brews from a number of regions. I use the app Beer to track my tastings. b_b is right, there are a number of great craft breweries in NC and we are lucky for that. I also enjoy about everything Bell's and Stone brew.

Beer = 93%
    Liquor = 6%
    Wine = 1%

When I drink liquor I usually stay with Wild Turkey & diet Mountain Dew, Firefly & lemonade, or vodka & cranberry and as Maister said, it's usually done for a desired effect. I used to drink rum quite a bit but don't much anymore. Tequila and I haven't been on speaking terms since college.

Hey beach_bum, our favorite little pub has pint night on Wednesdays (you get a pint glass when you order the featured brewery selections - my pint glass collection has grown considerably because of this) and Big Boss is this Wednesdays selection. Bad Penny is one of the favorites and I can wait to have a couple others.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Hey beach_bum, our favorite little pub has pint night on Wednesdays (you get a pint glass when you order the featured brewery selections - my pint glass collection has grown considerably because of this) and Big Boss is this Wednesdays selection. Bad Penny is one of the favorites and I can wait to have a couple others.
    I had a draft only Big Boss brew the other week, called Big Operator, it had a raspberry flavor to it, sort of like Purple Haze, only better!

Registered
    May 2002
    I love dark beers, but I'm drinking significantly less since the first of the year because I'm working hard on losing weight.

I drink the occaisional whiskey too, on the rocks please.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 200,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Beer is good. I would say:

Beer 65%
    Wine 20%
    Liquor 15%

The liquor portion has gone up because I have become more interested in the various tastes and cultures. I used to hate hard liquor straight. Now I have the occasional scotch or gin and tonic.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I love a cold brew! My faves are local/Texas brewed: St. Arnold's anything but the porter, and Shiner anything but the black and the blonde. I like to try other regional brews, so I can recommend Alaska's Winter brew, and their ale, and I like the Hawaiian Longboard out of - where else - Hawaii. Moose Drool Brown Ale, first tried in MT and not available around here, is another good one.

Liquor is usually in a mixed drink at a social function or a special night.

Beer (not national swills): 80%
    Wine: 15%
    Liquor: 5%
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I love a cold brew! My faves are local/Texas brewed: St. Arnold's anything but the porter, and Shiner anything but the black and the blonde. I like to try other regional brews, so I can recommend Alaska's Winter brew, and their ale, and I like the Hawaiian Longboard out of - where else - Hawaii. Moose Drool Brown Ale, first tried in MT and not available around here, is another good one.

Liquor is usually in a mixed drink at a social function or a special night.

Beer (not national swills): 80%
    Wine: 15%
    Have you tried any of the Lakewood yet? We just picked up some of their lager but haven't broken into it yet. Their brewery isn't too far away so I expect we'll be doing a tour soon.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I love beer, but the rest of the household drinks wine, so tend to drink both types equally. Luckily the other members are wine enthusiasts, so I know that it is usually going to be really good wine. I also keep a bottle of gin around in case I want to make a G&T or Tom Collins.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    With dinner:

Beer 48%
    Wine 48%
    Liquor 4%

Other times:

Beer 45%
    Wine 1%
    Liquor 54%
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    65% Wine
    30% Beer
    5% Hard Liquor

Wine never was in the equation in college, but now i tend to have at least 3 to 4 glasses a week. We have all kinds of wines in the house and I tend to favor piont and cabs, chards, and rose. When we need to have some wine on the cheap i tend to favor red blends over white.

Beer is a constant stock in the fridge. Wife doesn't drink much but she will have on the occasion a shock top or an 805.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis. Stay thirsty, my friends.

Really, I've become practically a tee-totaler. An occasional beer. A rare margarita. Bourbon neat once or twice a year.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Wine: 50%
    Beer: 45%

I would drink more wine if it came in single-serving containers like beer. I mean, if the good wine came in single-serving containers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wine 96.0%
    Beer 3.5%
    Liquor 0.5%

Registered
    May 2004
    Beer 85%
    Liquor 10%
    Wine 4.7%
    Absynthe 0.3%
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I'm another one of these people that rarely drinks. I'm not super fond of the taste and I'm too cheap for mixed drinks. I'll occasionally drink beer or wine if someone offers me some but it's not something I really care to spend money on.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Have you tried any of the Lakewood yet? We just picked up some of their lager but haven't broken into it yet. Their brewery isn't too far away so I expect we'll be doing a tour soon.
    Haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list.

I've had the ale from Rahr (out of Ft. Worth). I find it fine, but not exceptional. There are a couple people here that love their Ugly Pug brew.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I guess I'm the first with a different ratio, though I will say that bottles of liquor last at least 4-6 months in the house, beer tends to go faster when it's in the house...but really most of my beer consumption is at restaurants with dinner):

Beer: 40%
    Wine: 0%
    Liquor: 60% (Scotch, Irish Whiskey 95% of the time)
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 78
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 1:16 PM
  2. Best liquor for eggnog?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 10 Dec 2012, 10:22 AM
  3. Uses Liquor at a cafe?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7