Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your attitudes towards strippers and pron (see what happens when you miss a day)

Registered
    Feb 2004

Your attitudes towards strippers and pron (see what happens when you miss a day)

How do the dignified, educated, and liberated women that populate this board generally feel about strippers? I mean, do you tend to view them with contempt, consider them sellouts, feel badly for them, think they get what they deserve? Maybe a little envious? Would you/do you have any friends who either were or are strippers?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    How do the dignified, educated, and liberated women that populate this board generally feel about strippers? I mean, do you tend to view them with contempt, consider them sellouts, feel badly for them, think they get what they deserve? Maybe a little envious? Would you/do you have any friends who either were or are strippers?
    I have more of a problem with men objectifying women.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Most here would agree, but that doesn't really answer the question.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Most here would agree, but that doesn't really answer the question.
    Your question is phrased in such a way to assume that a dignified, educated, liberated woman would have negative feelings towards a stripper.

If a women chooses to take off her clothes for money then more power to her. When a women feels that stripping is her only choice either due to addiction or as a result of abuse it points to larger societal issues. The fact that a woman can make more money showing off her boobies than showing off her brain is depressing.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Your question is phrased in such a way to assume that a dignified, educated, liberated woman would have negative feelings towards a stripper.

If a women chooses to take off her clothes for money then more power to her. When a women feels that stripping is her only choice either due to addiction or as a result of abuse it points to larger societal issues. The fact that a woman can make more money showing off her boobies than showing off her brain is depressing.
    Perhaps the issue here is to separate thoughts/feelings toward the profession vs the individuals who willingly participate in the process of objectification.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Perhaps the issue here is to separate thoughts/feelings toward the profession vs the individuals who willingly participate in the process of objectification.
    We're also leaving male strippers out of the discussion.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    THIS

Many woman do it to provide or make money. I almost considered working for a restaurant that shows a little more in college as a waitress because I could make better money than I was making wearing khakis and a polo. I did not do this and looking back I'm glad I didn't.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We're also leaving male strippers out of the discussion.
    Yes we are.

I hadn't intended to discuss them, but since you bring it up, there are many times more female strippers than male strippers. This prompts three observations: 1) males generally have more economic options available to them. 2) I don't think male strippers generally end up hooking up with a 'sugar momma' as a goal in life (but I could be wrong - I've never actually met a male stripper that I know of), whereas that is the case much more often with female strippers. 3) males might suffer from/experience objectification but I don't get the impression that most mind it (mostly because they have not suffered because of it throughout recorded history like women)
    Last edited by Maister; 18 Feb 2013 at 2:08 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Stripping in and of itself I don't have much of a problem with, but what little I know about the work environment sounds like it can take a lot of advantage of the women (the whole making them buy drinks thing). I have more of an issue with pron because it is so fake that I think it can give young, impressionable guys and girls a skewed sense of "normal", plus the associated coercions, drug influences, and potential diseases. It's their choice to enter that profession, of course, guess I just don't like the completely fake body parts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Related story -
    Sex abuse group proposes tax on Ind. strip clubs
    http://www.14news.com/story/21229226...nd-strip-clubs

enact a $5 tax for strip club customers
    Last edited by JNA; 18 Feb 2013 at 2:30 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What! No poll?

I don't have any issues with women who strip. They obviously have their reasons for doing so and it's not for me to judge. I actually have more respect for them than for women who hook up with man just because he has means or power.

That said, as dandy said there area lot of other issues that are driving the decision for a woman to take up stripping-some economic, some social.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    THIS

Many woman do it to provide or make money. I almost considered working for a restaurant that shows a little more in college as a waitress because I could make better money than I was making wearing khakis and a polo. I did not do this and looking back I'm glad I didn't.
    So that's why I didn't see you there.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Yes we are.

I hadn't intended to discuss them, but since you bring it up, there are many times more female strippers than male strippers. This prompts three observations: 1) males generally have more economic options available to them. 2) I don't think male strippers generally end up hooking up with a 'sugar momma' as a goal in life (but I could be wrong - I've never actually met a male stripper that I know of), whereas that is the case much more often with female strippers. 3) males might suffer from/experience objectification but I don't get the impression that most mind it (mostly because they have not suffered because of it throughout recorded history like women)
    My two observations:

Women tend to strip as a full-time job. Men tend to strip as a part-time job to make extra $$.

Women strip in clubs populated mostly by men who go to clubs a lot. That's why they open in the morning and close late at night. It's the men's hobby/obsession/whatever. These are the guys who go on business/golf trips and head straight for the local strip club. Men mostly strip as a special event in a hall/restaurant/bar ("Chippendales coming to your town on Friday, whatever date!"). Their customers are women who see this as a fun girls' night out: some hot guys, some drinks, but it's more about getting bawdy with the girlfriends. Then they go home and forget about it.

I don't have negative views of strippers. I've never known one but have seen plenty (at adult entertainment hearings, and while inspecting strip clubs) and most I've seen are just average in looks/build; I'm sure there are gradations in bigger cities and better clubs. Beyond that, it's hard to be envious of someone getting naked in front of sleazy men old enough to be her father or grandfather. I'll reserve my negative opinions for the club owners.

Registered
    May 2004
    I recently read something about a study showing women in pron are generally happier and more content with themselves than women not in pron.

Edit: here is an article about that http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex...nterparts.html
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Whenever I've partaken in a stripper, even when I'm having a good time, there's always a part of me that feels sorry for them. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I'm just projecting my own inadequacies onto them. I mean, we all make sacrifices in life don't we?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Might've mentioned this before, but a good friend of mine in college put herself through school by working as a stripper. She liked doing it (good money without a heavy work schedule allowed her time to study & have a social life, good workout, helped make her more confident about her body). She did complain about some bad customers (grabby) and sketchy ownership/management. Her take on it was that she was happy to make money off of men's obcessions with boobies. I asked her about the objectifying thing--she said she didn't like it, but liked the fact that she could take money from the "stupid men." I think her attitude was 100% because of the purpose of her taking the job (financing her education)--I think the view is much more negative for someone that is doing it out of desperation, addiction, etc, with those individuals being more likely to have negative experiences. I don't really like strip clubs--not some moral high ground issue for me, just not my thing. The only clubs I've been to were the ones she was working in, and that was mainly because she could hook us up with free drinks.

As for pron, I don't worry about it. I don't think it objectifies in the same way a strip club does, mainly due to its professional nature these days. Pron is a much cleaner, more professional industry than it once was with a lot better protections for the actors/actresses. My biggest issue with pron is how the Internet has allowed individuals to access it at younger ages than before (particularly film/movies). The film/movie type I find a bit troubling because I think it sets some really unrealistic expectations for younger people still getting acquainted with their sexuality. I saw this issue developing some when I was in college, with guys in particular expecting women to behave in the sack like the pron stars they've been watching videos of (they seemed to forget that they were actresses playing up for the camera). That bothers me because it can lead to unhealthy relationships later on. On the flip side, increased pron availability, particularly in the privacy of one's own home, has made it a bit easier for couples to explore their sexual interests more & experiment, which I think is important & positive as it has made sexuality less of a dirty word.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    For the few, okay many I've known over the years in the military I think SR got it right. Most take the attitude of "stupid men". The part that got me down was the lack of planning for some. SR's friend did it to get through college. There was a goal in mind. I've met too many who just tell you that's why they do it. I had one friend that was honest. She had it planned out to retire young in life. She knew her looks would carry her for a while, but then she would have the money saved to do next to nothing. If you're going to do it, know why you want to, don't just get in for the quick money without an escape plan.

Sorry, I haven't been in California long enough to meet those in the other industry.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2002
    If it weren't for strip clubs, how would young women pay for veterinary school?
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Google trends - searches for "Stripper Jobs" dominates in CA, TX, and NY. Linky
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Food pron
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 23 Oct 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. Negative community attitudes and your job
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 13 Apr 2007, 10:34 AM
  3. Real Estate Pron