Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rec leagues

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rec leagues

Who here has ever participated in a local rec. league? Bowling, darts, softball, soccer, dodgeball, golf.... whatever?

Did you find the company and activity worthwhile? Tell us about your experiences.

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Indoor soccer. Co-ed league so my wife and I could both play. Lots of fun. Then we had kids....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Baseball, fastpitch softball, co-ed softball, basketball. Good way to stay active and competititve and meet people, all that.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hockey, fast and slow pitch softball, volleyball. Good sport and social experiences overall, drank lots of beer afterwards.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Small field 6v6 soccer. I have done indoor but too many elbows, getting crashed againsted the boards and tackles took its toll. I almost broke a toe from getting tackled by a goalie and found something with less contact.

In DC many of the alumni assocations formed a group called CAN (Capital Alumni Network). It was had 50 or so alumni groups that competed by university in rec league sports like flag football, volleyball, basketball and softball. All were co-ed sports and had great parties to kick off and end the season.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Soccer (11v11 & 8v8) & softball

It was fun while it lasted - (it being my knees), went out as groups sometimes made several friends...a couple that we still stay in touch
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Basketball, volleyball, bowling. All worthwhile. All involved drinking either before (rarely) or after (always) or during (how do you bowl without beer?).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

+ Reply to thread