Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cal Poly Pomona's MS Regenerative Studies/MURP Program

Cal Poly Pomona's MS Regenerative Studies/MURP Program

I've applied for Pomona's MS Regenerative Studies program, but was curious if anybody was applying for any of the grad programs within the College of Environmental Design. Despite the fact that I've only got another week and a half to go before I hear the results, time seems to be moving at an excruciatingly slow rate. Anybody else going bonkers?

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by christine carino View post
    I've applied for Pomona's MS Regenerative Studies program, but was curious if anybody was applying for any of the grad programs within the College of Environmental Design. Despite the fact that I've only got another week and a half to go before I hear the results, time seems to be moving at an excruciatingly slow rate. Anybody else going bonkers?
    I can completely relate, I applied to CPP's MURP program, and waiting for the decision has been killing me! I check BroncoDirect almost every day...I can admit I've been obsessing over it a little lol.

Should hear soon though. According to Grad Cafe, most people hear back sometime between late February and early April.

I read up a lot on the Regenerative Studies program, it seemed very interesting. The Lyle Center looks like it would be an awesome place to study! But I chose to apply to the MURP program because its much more directly related to the type of work I want to do.

Glad to know that I am not alone! What would you like to focus your studies on in particular? Did you have to submit a portfolio for the MURP application?

It was love at first sight when I visited the Lyle Center I called the department last week and they said they would be mailing out notices by the first week of March. I'm hoping that MURP applicants find out around the same time as well!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Glad to know that I am not alone! What would you like to focus your studies on in particular? Did you have to submit a portfolio for the MURP application?

It was love at first sight when I visited the Lyle Center I called the department last week and they said they would be mailing out notices by the first week of March. I'm hoping that MURP applicants find out around the same time as well!
    I'm planning on doing the Environmental Planning concentration if I get into the program. As an undergrad, I majored in Urban Studies and minored in Environmental Science, so the opportunity to combine the two into my Masters Degree is pretty exciting.

I didn't have to submit a portfolio when I applied. I think you only do that if you want the possibility of skipping the class on GIS and graphic design. I didn't have many classes that dealt with those as an undergrad, so I'm hoping the class in the Masters program will help me develop those skills further.

Good to know they told you the first week of March would be when you hear back, I hope the MURP decisions go out then too... I can't take the waiting anymore!!

Registered
    Dec 2012

Hey Christine! Have you heard from the Regenerative Studies program yet? I got an email today and was accepted to the MURP Program!! Let me know what happens with you, hopefully we will be classmates next year!

Omg congratulations! You know I spoke to the secretary for regenerative studies last week and she said they would be doing the final review of applications on March 18th. So I figure I could call on the 19th to inquire about the status?

I'm super curious-so once you received your email, was it automatically updated on your bronco direct that you were admitted to the university? How did your acceptance letter sound? That would be pretty cool if we'd be classmates! I would probably have to ask you about good places to live if I do get the admit

Congratulations again!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Omg congratulations! You know I spoke to the secretary for regenerative studies last week and she said they would be doing the final review of applications on March 18th. So I figure I could call on the 19th to inquire about the status?

I'm super curious-so once you received your email, was it automatically updated on your bronco direct that you were admitted to the university? How did your acceptance letter sound? That would be pretty cool if we'd be classmates! I would probably have to ask you about good places to live if I do get the admit

Congratulations again!
    I checked today, and my BroncoDirect has been updated to say ďAdmittedĒ. But it wasnít immediateóyesterday and the day before it still said ďAcademic ReviewĒ even though I had already received the email.

The letter itself was pretty basic. It started out by saying congratulations, and then told me the classes they suggest I take for Fall Quarter. There was no information in the letter about financial aid, other than just directing me to the website. I emailed them back and asked if there were any possibilities for a TA/RA position. Iím currently working full-time in downtown LA in a position thatís not related to planning. So, Iím hoping they could offer me some sort of position so I would be able to spend more time around campus, and still have a way to make some money. They havenít replied to my email yet, but Iím hoping to hear soon.

Hopefully youíll get your admit email on Monday! Let me know what happens.. and good luck!

I am still anxiously waiting for an email or for my status to change. Has anyone else received confirmation yet?

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by popbz View post
    I am still anxiously waiting for an email or for my status to change. Has anyone else received confirmation yet?
    hey popbz,

which program did you apply to? I applied to the MURP program and was admitted last week, but I have yet to hear of anyone else being admitted to the program.

I also applied to the MURP program. When did you submit your application? I think I submitted mine a day or two before the deadline.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    I also applied to the MURP program. When did you submit your application? I think I submitted mine a day or two before the deadline.
    I submitted my application about 2 or 3 weeks before the deadline, so that may be why Iíve heard already. Have you talked to Hersh Farberow (the grad coordinator)? I emailed him earlier in the month and asked him when decisions would be sent out. He told me they were wrapping it up and hoping to send everything out next week (this was at the beginning of March). I got my decision the next Wednesday via email. I assumed that most people got their decision on that same day and that I just hadnít heard from anyone on here because no one that applied to CPP's URP program were members of this site. But, now Iím thinking that maybe they still havenít sent out most of the decisions.

Either way, I would contact Hersh and just ask him for an update on when you might hear back. He seems like a nice guy, and usually writes back quickly.

The decision date continues to be pushed back..so agonizing!

Last time I called the department, she told me I would probably find out through the mail within the first week of April.

Diemerm, you're incredibly lucky you got an early response! This waiting game is driving me crazy :P

Registered
    Dec 2012
    The decision date continues to be pushed back..so agonizing!

Last time I called the department, she told me I would probably find out through the mail within the first week of April.

Diemerm, you're incredibly lucky you got an early response! This waiting game is driving me crazy :P

haha trust me I know... I remember how I was feeling before I found out. hoping you guys will hear this week!

So is the school notifying applicants both through email and the mail?

I am assuming so-well, for regenerative studies. Both times that I have talked to the department secretary, she has mentioned specially that we would be notified through mail.

I'm not sure how in sync the office of admissions and the department are-so maybe we'll get separate admission notifications?

Registered
    Dec 2012
    So is the school notifying applicants both through email and the mail?
    Yep you get both. I got an email with a PDF attachment of the acceptance letter. Then about a week later, I got the official acceptance letter in the mail.

You are very lucky! So it's been about two weeks since you've gotten your acceptance-have you come in contact with any other future MURP students?

Registered
    Dec 2012
    You are very lucky! So it's been about two weeks since you've gotten your acceptance-have you come in contact with any other future MURP students?
    Itíll have been two weeks as of tomorrow afternoon. And nope I havenít heard from anybody else. Itís also been hard to get in contact with the department ever since I got my decision. So, especially after hearing from popbz on this forum, Iím thinking the department still hasnít sent out most of the decisions and is still pretty busy wrapping up the process.

Registered
    Feb 2013

Pomona

Hey! I heard back from Pomona during the first week of March (MURP). They sent me an email pdf and I received a physical copy in the mail a few days later. I have a few days to decide but I am leaning towards it.

good luck!! I hope you receive good news!

*sidenote Where do folks in the program live? My understanding is most students are commuters and maintain jobs throughout the program, is that accurate?
    I'm going to be moving down from the central coast and have no idea where to plant myself. I'm thinking downtown just cause of its central location. According to the letter I received most classes are concentrated on a MW schedule, where classes go from 5-1050pm.

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by FixItFelix View post
    Hey! I heard back from Pomona during the first week of March (MURP). They sent me an email pdf and I received a physical copy in the mail a few days later. I have a few days to decide but I am leaning towards it.

good luck!! I hope you receive good news!

*sidenote Where do folks in the program live? My understanding is most students are commuters and maintain jobs throughout the program, is that accurate?
    I'm going to be moving down from the central coast and have no idea where to plant myself. I'm thinking downtown just cause of its central location. According to the letter I received most classes are concentrated on a MW schedule, where classes go from 5-1050pm.
    Hey Felix! Congrats on your acceptance!! I was also accepted to the MURP program in the beginning of March.

Iím no expert on what the current student body is like (Iíve only even been to the campus just once), but I would guess most of your assumptions are correct. Based on the schedule of classes I think most students will probably have some sort of job, whether part time or full time.

As for living situation, this is the one thing I dislike about the school. In my visit to campus, I also explored the surrounding areas a bit. I really couldnít find anywhere I could picture myself living. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods were nice, but they were mostly single-family homes and not neighborhoods that would have many apartment choices. Of the areas that did have apartments, I couldnít find anything that I liked.

Right now, Iím planning on staying put (I currently live just north of downtown LA) because I love the neighborhood and apartment Iím in. I figure I can plan my driving times around traffic and make that a non-issue. Iím also currently working a full-time job in downtown, and am trying to decide if I will keep working here or try to get a part-time job that will allow me to focus more on school.

Have you visited the campus yet? Any idea on which one of the concentrations you will pick?

Yay!

Hey guys,

As of last Friday, I just received a letter of acceptance into the Regenerative Studies program! To date, my broncodirect has yet to be updated, nor have I received any email.

I intend my focus discipline to be in the architecture/urban planning realm, so who knows-we might be classmates at one point!

What a relief. How many classes do you guys have to take in your first quarter? I have to go to a required seminar two weeks prior to the Fall quarter. Once the Fall quarter starts, I'll be slated to take 15 units. Would it be realistic to even have a job during this time??

Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by diemerm View post
    Hey Felix! Congrats on your acceptance!! I was also accepted to the MURP program in the beginning of March.

Iím no expert on what the current student body is like (Iíve only even been to the campus just once), but I would guess most of your assumptions are correct. Based on the schedule of classes I think most students will probably have some sort of job, whether part time or full time.

As for living situation, this is the one thing I dislike about the school. In my visit to campus, I also explored the surrounding areas a bit. I really couldnít find anywhere I could picture myself living. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods were nice, but they were mostly single-family homes and not neighborhoods that would have many apartment choices. Of the areas that did have apartments, I couldnít find anything that I liked.

Right now, Iím planning on staying put (I currently live just north of downtown LA) because I love the neighborhood and apartment Iím in. I figure I can plan my driving times around traffic and make that a non-issue. Iím also currently working a full-time job in downtown, and am trying to decide if I will keep working here or try to get a part-time job that will allow me to focus more on school.

Have you visited the campus yet? Any idea on which one of the concentrations you will pick?

Hey diemerm!

I visited the campus once, on a Saturday. Unfortunately I am working full time right now as well. And living a couple hours north doesn't allow for weekday visits. I thought the campus was ok, its about a 30 min drive from dt (if planned properly). I got accepted to SLO as well and now find myself torn between finally moving to the BIG CITY or setting up shop a little further north for a couple more years. Awesome privilege, but its shitty. Advice? haha.

I plan on doing the transportation planning concentration at either school, SLO offers a dual MS Transportation Engineering. Do you have a concentration picked?

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally posted by FixItFelix View post
    Hey diemerm!

I visited the campus once, on a Saturday. Unfortunately I am working full time right now as well. And living a couple hours north doesn't allow for weekday visits. I thought the campus was ok, its about a 30 min drive from dt (if planned properly). I got accepted to SLO as well and now find myself torn between finally moving to the BIG CITY or setting up shop a little further north for a couple more years. Awesome privilege, but its shitty. Advice? haha.

I plan on doing the transportation planning concentration at either school, SLO offers a dual MS Transportation Engineering. Do you have a concentration picked?

Haha yeah I visited on a Saturday as wellÖ only day I was able to with my work schedule. Iím pretty set on doing the environmental planning concentration. During undergrad, I majored in urban studies and minored in environmental science so its exciting to have the opportunity to combine those two into my Masters Degree. To be honest tho, the transportation concentration was catching my eye as well. Iím very passionate about public transportation and would love to one day get a planning job with MetroÖ especially with all the light rail going up around LA. My only fear is that most of what I learn would be more related to planning around the automobile, which really doesnít interest me at all.

Congrats on getting into SLO as well, I had friends there and visited them multiple times during undergrad. The campus and the whole SLO area is a really beautiful place. To be honest with you (not to offend my new school, CPP!) but I would probably choose SLO if I were you. It has almost all of the positives of CPP, and none of the negatives. For example, Iím sure thereís much more of a sense of community on campus since most students would not be commuting. Also, the fact that you are interested in transportation planning and they offer that dual degree in trans engineering is a pretty incredible opportunityÖ that would put you in a great position to get a good job when you graduate.

Overall tho, I understand the feeling for wanting to be in the big city. I love the LA area and am convinced I will stay here, no matter how hard the job situation is. It comes down to what you feel is best for you. Iím sure that going to SLO would not make it harder for you to get a job in the city after you graduate, if thatís whatís worrying you.

Let me know what you decideÖ and also if you have any advice on my environmental vs transportation dilemma I would appreciate hearing your opinion!

Registered
    Dec 2012
    Hey guys,

As of last Friday, I just received a letter of acceptance into the Regenerative Studies program! To date, my broncodirect has yet to be updated, nor have I received any email.

I intend my focus discipline to be in the architecture/urban planning realm, so who knows-we might be classmates at one point!

What a relief. How many classes do you guys have to take in your first quarter? I have to go to a required seminar two weeks prior to the Fall quarter. Once the Fall quarter starts, I'll be slated to take 15 units. Would it be realistic to even have a job during this time??
    Congrats on getting in Christine! My broncodirect account took a while to reflect my admittance as well, so donít worry. In the MURP program, we take 3 classes during the Fall quarter and two of those classes have labs. Iím not sure how many units that is tho. In terms of having a job, I think it all depends on what times your classes will be. The MURP program has all of their classes at night on Mondays & Wednesdays from 5-11 PM. With that schedule I feel like I need to have some sort of job, even if itís just part-time, because I would have almost too much free-time otherwise. Plus, as much as Iím ready to go back to school, I donít know if Iím so excited about being a broke college student again haha.

Quote Originally posted by diemerm View post
    Congrats on getting in Christine! My broncodirect account took a while to reflect my admittance as well, so donít worry. In the MURP program, we take 3 classes during the Fall quarter and two of those classes have labs. Iím not sure how many units that is tho. In terms of having a job, I think it all depends on what times your classes will be. The MURP program has all of their classes at night on Mondays & Wednesdays from 5-11 PM. With that schedule I feel like I need to have some sort of job, even if itís just part-time, because I would have almost too much free-time otherwise. Plus, as much as Iím ready to go back to school, I donít know if Iím so excited about being a broke college student again haha.
    Thank you! Yeah, I've noticed that there are a lot of technical bugs whenever I sign on to my broncodirect. The three classes I take during the fall quarter all have labs as well. How many units is the program?? I'm not sure how much the schedule would change from last year, but I noticed that most of the classes plus the labs spanned out from 9-4 Monday through Wednesday. I guess what makes it ideal is that I could commute back down to San Diego during that time if necessary (I also plan on doing my research project down here).

Yeah, i'm conflicted as well with the whole employment gig. I want to be able invest as much time as I can to school, but at the same time, it is going to be incredibly difficult to be a broke college student! At the most though, I'm thinking of not working during the first quarter just to get a feel for how intense it is.

Have you given much thought to your potential research project/thesis?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Sep 2012, 9:51 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 31 Jan 2011, 11:19 PM
  3. USC's MURP program
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 Mar 2009, 6:51 PM
  4. Replies: 6