Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things Friday

Registered
    Jun 2011
    1. I'm the only one in our office today. Too quiet here in the basement dungeon, save for the occasional crying child from the Health Department upstairs.

2. Saw one of our Commissioners who has been locked in a battle with us on a code enforcement/minimum housing situation. I have been told he called our department "incompetent" and he hates us all. He looked happy to see me. Good or bad, I do not know.

3. Planning Board Chair is asking me about our Clerk to the Board of Commissioners change, not sure what information I should give to him, its a very delicate situation I believe.

4. Drove to work for the first time this week today. Can't stand walking in the rain, no matter how short the walk is.

5. Weekly ritual of Bojangles for Friday lunch. Already hungry.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    5. let go of my algebra situation but it makes me sad
    Good decision, too many unknown variables to solve for. Let it resolve itself.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013

Is it 4:30 yet?

1. My baby has pink-eye today.
    2. I have quite a lot of pieces of paper to generate today and I am so tired I can't put words together properly.
    3. Ginger tea is pretty good. Especially when that drive-thru cheeseburger from last night isn't sitting so well.
    4. I really crave talking to educated people now that I've moved rural. There are plenty of smart people, not so many educated people. Both are cool, but I miss one.
    5. I'd rather listen to NPR fundraising than about any other station on the radio doing anything.

1. Shiny, happy people holding hands
    2. Don't think about all you fear, just be glad to be here
    3. Busy day tomorrow
    4. I need to update my LinkIn info
    5. Actually, the next 3 Saturdays are going to be busy
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) Had lunch with my old supervisor today; I miss working with him
    2) I gave him some info I haven't shared with any one else at the city - he seemed understanding about the situation
    3) While in that building, my dept. head saw me there, and gave me a really strange look
    4) I bet she wonders what the hell I was doing there, since I haven't worked in that building for 3 years
    5) I guess she doesn't know my old supervisor is a reference, and that we chat at least once a month
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. Sadly, I have to work this weekend and do a site inspection for a business event on Saturday....the annual Hooters swimsuit competition. TRUE
    2. I would say that my mind is scattered today except it actually seems rather focused on one thing (see #1)
    3. I kinda wish sometimes I had an extremely common name like John Smith
    4. Steampunk carries no stigma in my book
    5. You'd think the folks working for NPR would be a friendly bunch of crunchy types, but in truth they're as ruthless as any Wall Street suit you'll encounter.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. I am glued to my Twitter feed and FB newsfeed on the happenings in Boston and now other parts
    2. I really need to do some work
    3. I loved having my kids with me this week
    4. I liked my new thread I started
    5. my x and y situation exploded this morning

Registered
    Aug 2002
    1. I am glued to the news out of Boston, too.
    2. I don't understand how two young men who lived in the U.S. for as long as they did could have so much hate inside them.
    3. I am having lunch with an acquaintance today.
    4. My ability to focus this morning is not very good.
    5. I should update my mental tapedeck to a mental MP3 player.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    1. This weekend the weather is going to suck.
    2. I liked the nice weather last weekend.
    3. I have a massive headache.
    4. I am sure it is somehow my fault.
    5. I would like to sleep for 13 hours in a row. I can't remember the last time I did that.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2010
    1. I spend way too much of my time outside work thinking about work
    2. Immediate family member came to visit me two days ago, I only took Monday off and wish and I feel guilty now; I wish I had taken today off work as well
    3. I'm super tired and cranky and have to take said family member out to bar hop downtown tonight, so I better wake up
    4. I underestimated how amazing it is getting to stop at home fur lunch.
    5. I didn't get to go home for lunch today (too busy) and now I can't seem to get anything done.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    1. I got waylaid by a creepster after a meeting yesterday, and the ickiness of the encounter still lingers.
    2. Also after a meeting yesterday my GPS sent me on 10 miles of one lane road to a site visit. I prayed the whole way that I wouldn't meet another car.
    3. The weather sucks.
    4. I think I want to perm my hair for the first time ever, but I'm scared.
    5. I hate taking minutes.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. An hour on the treadmill helped to take away the stress I brought home from work.
    2. This is the first time today I can follow the news.
    3. My son isn't happy that I took over the television.
    4. It feels like November outside.
    5. I could use a road trip.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. Mug shots are funny
    2. Junior is going to run a mile to raise $ for his school in a few minutes
    3. Lemonade season will be here in a few weeks
    4. Today I will get the spinach planted and put up the pea netting
    5. It' a shame almost no one but me bumps the annual garden thread (but perhaps to be expected - we're planners not gardeners)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    1. I love slow mornings
    2. I must kill the cat that woke me up early
    3. In honor of Maister I will try to read the gardening thread
    4. I've even been planning on growing some tomatos and basil
    5. Like he said, I'm a planner, not a gardener
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    1. I am retrospective today.
    2. I hope to get everything done by 1pm so I can leave early.
    3. I enjoy lazy weekends.
    4. I do not enjoy couples baby showers.
    5. I have a list of why I don't like my job. I just like to be organized.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    4. I do not enjoy couples baby showers.
    What are those?? people actually have those with both parents there?

My list...
    1. Signed up for an 80s Sing Along Yelp event... don't think the bf will want to go... he hates 80s movies :/
    2. It's supposed to be a 70 degree weekend... yay!! <3 bike riding shall commence
    3. So EXCITED about being accepted to Grad School for Historic Preservation <3
    4. I'm tired of my cat and my bf squishing me in bed and taking up all the room... jerks.
    5. I love watching Rehab Addict on HGTV... that chick is so cool! Wish I could do that...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by medea1919 View post
    What are those?? people actually have those with both parents there?
    Off-topic:
    Apparently they want both my wife and I to suffer. Unless it is during football season, or there is ample beer available, this seems like the worst thing in the world. Unfortunately, I have lost this battle. Ms. Hink - 1, Hink - 0.

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Off-topic:
    Apparently they want both my wife and I to suffer. Unless it is during football season, or there is ample beer available, this seems like the worst thing in the world. Unfortunately, I have lost this battle. Ms. Hink - 1, Hink - 0.
    Ohhhh... yeah, I asked my bf to go with me to one once. He straight up was like "NO WAY, that's a chick event."
    Also... I hate baby showers as well... mostly just the stupid games. So I won't go either if I can avoid it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. Lots of work-related anxiety this week. It doesn't bear recounting but suffice it to say, the department has been spending the entire week in CYA mode.
    2. If everyone in the future has robots waiting on them hand and foot what do people intend to do all day?
    3, I find when looking for answers to probing questions about the future the Jetson's is as reliable a source as any
    4. I kinda wish dogs could talk, but at the same time they would probably spend an inordinate amount of time talking about physical comforts/needs
    5. Had garden-grown asparagus three times this week! Probably would have cost $8-10 to buy the same amount of asparagus at the store...and mine is wayy fresher.

1. Leave it to me to have dig up this thread
    2. Maister is right, Elementary was very good-and unexpected-last night.
    3. Semi-busy weekend-hiho, a sailing we will go
    4. Glad it's Friday
    5. The new Star Trek looks good.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    1. I like Piada. It is heavy though.
    2. Looks like I am going to have to get an EDG scope. Awesome.
    3. The last time they put me out I might have groped a German Baptist.
    4. I am hopeful that it doesn't lead to more tests.
    5. I want to dig my own pool.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    1. Planning a birthday party for a little kid is both more work and more fun than I imagined.
    2. I hope I have not overlooked something crucial for this party. I don't know why I'm so nervous, like it's a big deal or something. Kid's 3, and my friends aren't judgey.
    3. One of my areas is a political nightmare to work in. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm about to go down in flames there.
    4. My new temporary officemate likes to chat a lot. I suspect his motives.
    5. What is this, groundless paranoia Friday?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Midori View post
    5. What is this, groundless paranoia Friday?
    Why do you want to know? Did someone say something? They're everywhere you know.

1. The week had such a promising start.
    2. I need a vacation.
    3. No, I need to quit.
    4. I think I'll RJ today.
    5. My mind has left the building.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    1. I got a hankering for some fried chicken and biscuits
    2. I will be on vacation next week
    3. Not going anywhere really except maybe a day trip or two
    4. I wish it were 5:00 already
    5. Maybe I'll see Star Trek tonight

Registered
    Jan 2005
    1. It is going to be hot this weekend.
    2. I am home alone with the kids.
    3. Sprinklers are a go.
    4. I bought a computer game.
    5. I don't like sprinklers.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. You know it is Friday when...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Apr 2016, 5:12 PM
  2. It's Friday!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 17 Jul 2015, 12:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1