Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1327

Thread: Five Things Friday

Registered
    May 2002
    1. If I don't need to travel I really don't like vacation days during the holidays. There are usually much better days I'd rather have off.
    2. New elected officials sworn in yesterday. 3 incumbents and 3 newbies. I think it will be at least ok.
    3. My staff finally told me where they want me to take them for holiday lunch. I'm too nice.
    4. I think 2018 is going to be a big year for me in a lot of ways.
    5. The Corona beer commercial with the palm tree that lights up always makes me smile. Simple yet effective.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

1. I impulse bought a Star Wars reusable grocery bag
    2. I guess the force is with me now.
    3. When it first came out, I've never thought Star Wars would become a cultural phenomenon.
    4. Found out that a friend has breast cancer and has been in treatments for the past 4-5 months.
    5. Celebrated my 10 year anniversary at work and 20 years as a Planning Director
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    1) I have come to realize that bermudagrass is more a yellow straw when it gets cold. I think I am going to start blending in other grasses this spring since I question if a monospecies for a lawn is health. Regardless, I know that I would like to have a green lawn during the winter.
    2) The wife am not taking much time off this holiday season.
    3) I was up at 4:30 this morning putting the final coat of polyurethane on some end tables that I built for my sister. Tomorrow I will disassemble and box them up and ship them to my dad for him to reassemble before Christmas.
    4) We are planning our summer vacation and it is going to be a combination roller coasters, historic sites, and even visiting one of my old haunts... but no we will not be in the midwest.
    5) My middle son has his Christmas Concert today... However, my oldest's school does not do one. (they go different elementary schools at the moment).
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    1. Went to the high school winter band concert last night. The Girl is 3rd chair clarinet as a freshman (out of 17 total) and never said a word to us about that.
    2. Lunch at a Mexican restaurant with the CM, ACM & PWD today for a work discussion. I ordered some hot salsa. I like hot stuff, but even I take small dips of this stuff. CM said he'd never tried that at this place and took a big dip with his chip. I think his mouth is still on fire.
    3. The Girl has asked me to take her to the mall tomorrow. I'd rather have a lobotomy.
    4. The town next door just finished a downtown landscaping project that included several medians and bump-outs. On the way to school this morning we saw a tractor-trailer run directly over one. The Girl said "Aw, poor bushes"
    5. Maybe, just maybe I'll win the lottery.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. Final safety meeting of the year was this morning. It was lightly attended.
    2. I received a gift from one of the Finance ladies - it was a roll of toilet paper with "In case you get crap this Christmas" written on it. The other planner said they should have kept it for their whinny a$$e$.
    3. Mom is in town this week and I have already taken her out shopping (which is something I don't have a lot of patience with particularly at this time of year).
    4. A scheduled 1-hour meeting yesterday turned into 3-hours. All said and done it was good and needed to happen.
    5. kms - The pretzels are all gone.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. I'm actually in the office today - surprisingly big crowd here as well, although I'm guessing it will be a ghost town after lunch.
    2. This is the last day in the office for Minion #1 before he moves on to his next opportunity. I told him to give me a call in five years when he wants to come back (and I'm serious about that).
    3. The crew building our replacement deck and new screened porch left a load of wood blocking our garage yesterday. I had to get in touch with their construction supervisor last night to make sure they got it moved first thing this morning. Thankfully I just walk over to the MARTA station in the mornings.
    4. My BIL (my wife's sister's husband) has moved into full jerk mode just in time for Christmas. Great timing, dude.
    5. Now, I have to figure out where to take Minion #1 for lunch today. Any suggestions?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    1. It is too early. I haven't had coffee. I thought this was the Random Thoughts thread.
    2. I did, in fact, come up with a new name for that project yesterday. I created a new website and I am happy with it.
    3. It looks like I will have money the 29th. That's a good thing.
    4. I still don't have a job offer. What are they doing? Actually reading and discussing materials from all five candidates? Christmas shopping? /impatient

5. Just realized Bubba is actually in my home state:

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Thankfully I just walk over to the MARTA station in the mornings.
    Say hi to my relatives for me if you happen to run into them while Christmas shopping.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Planit, those pretzels lasted this long?
    2. Im about to head to the grocery store. Ugh.
    3. Son number 1 is smoking some ribs for Christmas.
    4. I spent some time this morning googling melted cheese. There are actually videos of melted cheese being served over plates of food.
    5. Melted cheese is comfort food, and Im craving comfort food.

1. White Christmas, Smite Christmas
    2. Ran the AC last night
    3. Hoping for a slow day at work today
    4. It's nice to have someplace to go for the Holidays
    5. Though it wasn't cheap

Registered
    Jan 2009
    1. It's finally getting cold around here.
    2. Slow day, but people keep coming in or calling.
    3. I'll work on getting the tank ready for the next office fish.
    4. I have to go to some kids nativity play tonight.
    5. Is it bad that I don't want to go to the play?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    1) Wife gets Christmas Day off... I am taking the rest of next week off because we have no child care next week.
    2) Not sure what to do with the Christmas cards in my office. Oh look, a recycle bin!
    3) Clorox wipes are great... until you notice the amount of lint left behind.
    4) All the kids were went to the same place today for preschool/ daycare. It was great not having to juggle 3 schedules and 3 locations.
    5) I am tempted on rearranging my office furniture a little bit.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    1. Plan review
    2. Permit review
    3. Public Notice review
    4. Potential Board/Commission member appointments review
    5. Waiting
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. It's getting colder in the office
    2. The gloves are on
    3. Mom leaves to go back home tomorrow morning
    4. She's been with us since the 19th
    5. At least I can't see my breath yet in the office

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    • Year end
    • Causal Friday
    • Water main breaks
    • Dad and sister visiting
    • Drinking wine
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

1. Two day week for me
    2. Next week will be a four day week
    3. Seveneves was enough to lure back into reading sci-fi
    4. Good book about what happens after the moon explodes
    5. It's just a brief visit back into sci-fi.

Registered
    May 2002
    1. Heat not working properly in our building - again. It's only 10 years old.
    2. I love the beach in winter, heading there this afternoon for New Year's
    3. Who am I kidding, I love the beach anytime.
    4. Friend texted me from Maine, -22 F. That's why I visit in the warm months.
    5. Leftovers from a big turkey dinner are the best.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1. Nice quiet day at the office - hopefully. Have a few clean-up items to do, then will do some actual cleaning.
    2. Dog issues continue. But she seems to be on the mend.
    3. No plans for New Year's Eve - supposed to be literally freezing outside with chance of frozen rain/drizzle/sleet.
    4. Plus dog does not deal well with fireworks, so we will stay in with her.
    5. New Year's Day = some shopping, as I didn't get to go this week (see aforementioned dog issues).
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

1. First Friday of the New Year
    2. It's been a short week that's seemed longer
    3. Got the news that Comcast is raising it's rates again.
    4. Thinking about getting rid of cable and just going with internet
    5. I actually watch very little TV anymore.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    1) No big issues on the home front this week.

2) Thinking about getting some new furniture, but Hubby is really attached to his recliner.

3) Former direct supervisor still wants to be involved in project discussions between me and my new direct supervisor. We both say no but she's a typical Type A personality.

4) Going out to lunch to a little diner that has great burgers! Yum!

5) Might go to the movies this weekend. Depends on what's showing near me.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. It is cold here - like really cold. I've lived in metro Atlanta since 1989, and I'm having a hard time remembering another week-long stretch like this.
    2. The plus side to the freaking cold is that the bug populations will be lower this summer.
    3. I'm thinking tapas for dinner.
    4. I have a really cool project kicking off next week that I'm super excited about...I haven't been this invigorated by work in years. And, there's an added bonus that it will set up some of our junior folks to really advance their careers.
    5. The amount of travel I'll have to do for it is a bit daunting (I am so not a road warrior at this point in my career) - it's enough that I'll have a shot a Gold status with Delta by the end of the year.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. It's bitter cold here, but no snow. I'm surprised that a couple of businesses in my town closed today because of bad weather.
    2. My hair appointment is cancelled because the pipes at the shop froze. That's an understandable closing.
    3. I've already scheduled a couple of vacation days in the spring.
    4. Tapas sounds good.
    5. This weekend should be quiet and uneventful.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. I am under 2 cats and a blanket and I am still cold.
    2. Schools here are closed due to the cold but we still sent Itty Bitty to preschool. See #1.
    3. Went running for the first time in 6 months. Ugh.
    4. Came home and ate chocolate covered caramels.
    5. Baby Baugi is turning into a big dawg!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    1. I can remember it getting this cold, just not staying this cold for this long.
    2. Because of federal funding, DOT must approve numbers for a project which this morning they finally did - 7 weeks after submittal.
    3. Soccer is cancelled this weekend due to cold cold weather.
    4. I can begin to see our dog slowing down. He's 8.
    5. Christmas will be taken down this weekend.

1. Three day weekend for me
    2. No, I don't miss the snow and ice
    3. A little weird being on the executive committee again
    4. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore coin is coming out
    5. Will have make some additions to the coin collection

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. Im getting the hang of the new position.
    2. Next week is a conference in Happy Valley.
    3. Day weekend. See what I did there?
    4. Leftover turkey, stuffing and potatoes for lunch.
    5. The weather forecast has everyone panicking but the bad stuff keeps getting delayed to the overnight hours.

+ Reply to thread
Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 47 48 49 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. You know it is Friday when...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 08 Apr 2016, 4:12 PM
  2. It's Friday!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 17 Jul 2015, 11:20 AM
  3. Replies: 1