Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bachelors + masters in UP or bachelors in unrelated field + masters in UP

Bachelors + masters in UP or bachelors in unrelated field + masters in UP

Hi,

What would you think employers value more a Bachelors of Urban Planning and a Masters of Urban Planning or Bachelors in an unrelated field (i.e-biology, economics, etc.) and a Masters in Urban Planning?

I see the pro's and con's of both sides, but was just curious what others thought.

Plus, would it be "bad" if someone did there bachelors and masters at the same university? I was thinking of doing my bachelors at Ryerson and then do Ryerson's masters since it seems "reputable". Any comments? recommendations?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think you should view it more as what would you get from doing each. You would most likely be better served getting an undergrad is something else, and getting a master's in planning. Undergrad gives you a base for your education. Get a degree in finance if you like that, or real estate, or public policy, or anything.

Once you get that, then go back to your thought process when it comes to a master's degree...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What Hink said.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The MCRP/MURP is one of the longer graduate degree programs coming in at 48 credits for most schools. It's not any advantage to come in with a BUP and it's likely that you will find having to complete the core redundant. Because planning has so many facets, you are best served to do your BS/BA in something else. Some of the most common undergraduate degrees in my graduating class in no specific order: political science, environmental science, history, public administration, engineering, architecture, sociology, geography, and liberal arts.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I don't know if it was the university trying to grab my cash or not... but when I asked about going to different universities vs. going to the same for the Bachelor and Master's programs, the University which I want to do my Master's at suggested that it would be beneficial to do my undergrad there as well, because it gives you the opportunity to get to know the professors and staff, some of which may be decision makers in your Grad school application, and others (which ofcourse you'll be using for references) will be known more personally by the decision makers...

I'm still going to go to a different school for my undergrad because that school suits me better. But I'm apprehensive about missing out on the connections I could make otherwise.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    I don't know if it was the university trying to grab my cash or not... but when I asked about going to different universities vs. going to the same for the Bachelor and Master's programs, the University which I want to do my Master's at suggested that it would be beneficial to do my undergrad there as well, because it gives you the opportunity to get to know the professors and staff, some of which may be decision makers in your Grad school application, and others (which ofcourse you'll be using for references) will be known more personally by the decision makers...
    That's a pretty weak line of reasoning they gave you. Most planning programs aren't competitive enough that knowing the staff and faculty would make much of a difference as to whether you'll be accepted or not. To top it off you can make even more contacts and gain a new perspective on the field by going to a different school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2011
    If you're certain you want to get your Masters in Urban Planning it really wont hurt you to major in something else

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    I've also struggled with the same question but by the time I realized that very very few people get their undergrad in planning, I was already an upperclassman and it was too late...but I'm hoping that having a background knowledge will help with a couple things: a) an easier time adjusting to the academic rigor of grad school if the material is a bit familiar already and b) previous internship experience can get you...more internships? lol

Also, most people I've heard who do their Master's and Bachelor's at the same university do so primarily out of convenience (via a 4+1 program).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

Another idea

I think another good idea is along with your Bachelor's in Planning, double major in something else that could be helpful in gaining some hands on skills, such as Finance or Landscape Architecture. That way, it provides another outlet for obtaining internships and jobs during/after graduation kind of as a "backup" if planning after a Bachelor's doesn't work out. I wish someone had told me that before. At least at my undergrad, the planning program was pretty broad with a lot of room for electives so it was fairly easy to double major or do planning as a minor instead of a major.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bachelors vs. Masters
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Apr 2013, 10:14 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Mar 2013, 5:22 PM
  3. Bachelors + Experience > Masters?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Dec 2012, 6:20 PM