Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certified Public Manager

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008

Certified Public Manager

Has anyone earned this certificate? I have a BS in Planning and MS in Community Development, but I still want to know more about the ins-and-outs of my city management. Do you think getting this would be worthwhile? I think the total cost is about $3,500 and it sure would open some professional doors I would think. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I'm interested in this one too. We have several managers and directors on Cyburbia that are involved in the hiring process for their departments. I would love to hear their take on the value added to a resume by this certification. Would it help bring in more job/promotion opportunities?
    The content contrarian

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It is a good move--think of it almost like an executive MPA without quite as much prestige, or as a way to test the waters for a MPA. It is also really great for people that have worked their way up through the ranks at a governmental entity and want training in critical aspects of public management like personnel issues, finance/budgeting, etc. It also gives you broader knowledge of public administration topics beyond just planning.

At $3,500-$4,500, it is one of the bangs-for-the-buck out there as far as education in support of career advancement.

A CDBG manager worked for me that had an associates degree and a CPM. She worked her way into the position through experience over the course of 15 years supporting the program. She got her CPM at my recommendation, using our tuition assistance program. At the time, she was still classified as a CDBG tech and I wanted to reclassify her as the manager since she was doing the job--HR was giving me fits due to her education.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I took the CPM through the University of Colorado, beginning in 2010 and finally finishing my capstone (due to life and job change) in August of 2012. The program in Colorado was one Saturday a month for each course.
    I found it to be worthwhile and it served as a great test water for my MPA, which I am undergoing now through CU. I wanted to expand my knowledge beyond planning (as I want to get into city management ultimately) and see about the work/life/school balance.
    The CPM in Colorado allowed me to knock off 6 credit hours of my MPA (2 classes), which will allow me to get it done in 2 years.

I think it is a great program and I promote it often. As a manager who now looks at applications, the CPM would warrant extra consideration from me.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Considering that I have been a city manager and ICMA member for 10 years and I had to Google this to figure out what it was says something. I've recently joined the ASPA, and it seems to be an organization slanted towards academics as compared to ICMA. I've seen jobs where ICMA-CM is a preferred certification, but I'd never heard of the CPM until I read this.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Considering that I have been a city manager and ICMA member for 10 years and I had to Google this to figure out what it was says something. I've recently joined the ASPA, and it seems to be an organization slanted towards academics as compared to ICMA. I've seen jobs where ICMA-CM is a preferred certification, but I'd never heard of the CPM until I read this.
    Ok, I will say that the program was fairly new in Colorado and it is small. I had the same concerns as Giff, having heard of ICMA-CM but a program has to start somewhere and this one helped a lot in my career.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 13 Jun 2016, 11:51 AM
  2. Sustainability Manager
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Sep 2011, 3:11 PM
  3. Certified Floodplain Manager
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11