Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Draft and Draft Order

Registered
    Jul 1998

Draft and Draft Order

I ran my handy dandy excel random number generator and the draft order came out like this:

UrbaneSprawler 0.256507170390
    Plankton 0.335753655787
    Whose YUr Planner 0.355125923466
    The One 0.391583762218
    Duke 0.393651287150
    Hink 0.515706297061
    Mastiff 0.548581210756
    Giff 0.585115508826
    Tide 0.596575760596
    Raf 0.673936226562
    Tranplanner 0.873762694028
    MD Planner 0.948586774807

Since we are starting with no keepers, should we snake the order. I think we should since we are using a random draft order. Anyone else have an opinion?

When do we start drafting? Monday? ..........
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I ran my handy dandy excel random number generator and the draft order came out like this:

UrbaneSprawler 0.256507170390
    Plankton 0.335753655787
    Whose YUr Planner 0.355125923466
    The One 0.391583762218
    Duke 0.393651287150
    Hink 0.515706297061
    Mastiff 0.548581210756
    Giff 0.585115508826
    Tide 0.596575760596
    Raf 0.673936226562
    Tranplanner 0.873762694028
    MD Planner 0.948586774807

Since we are starting with no keepers, should we snake the order. I think we should since we are using a random draft order. Anyone else have an opinion?

When do we start drafting? Monday? ..........
    I think that looks great and we snake. We need to get going as it usually takes two weeks to draft.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Well then, I can make the first pick. But, I did first want to verify that the scoring system is "final"? I'm seeing that based on last years stats, Adrian Peterson was #22 in terms of total points, just behind Phillip Rivers, with the first 21 top scores all being QBs. Is the scoring system officially set? Typically I would think the top scoring RB should at least be in the top 5 overall, not in the top 22.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    Well then, I can make the first pick. But, I did first want to verify that the scoring system is "final"? I'm seeing that based on last years stats, Adrian Peterson was #22 in terms of total points, just behind Phillip Rivers, with the first 21 top scores all being QBs. Is the scoring system officially set? Typically I would think the top scoring RB should at least be in the top 5 overall, not in the top 22.
    I renewed my league from last year with the same settings, so they have been the settings we have used since the beginning of the CFFL. I'm not sure how Yahoo's stats work. They may not take into account custom settings. If they are ranking players using their default settings, your mileage may vary.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Looks like our league gives .25 per completion and 6 points per throwing TD, whereas Yahoo's default is 0 per completion, and 4 points per throwing TD. There's an offset of -2 for INTs and -.5 for sacks vs.-1 and 0 respectively. Still the completions and points per TD thrown may make the difference.

Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster are ranked 1 and 2 per Yahoo's ranking, but by sorting it by Fantasy Points using 2012 Season stats (which would presumably be our scoring system), they're 22 and 25.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Looks like our league gives .25 per completion and 6 points per throwing TD, whereas Yahoo's default is 0 per completion, and 4 points per throwing TD. There's an offset of -2 for INTs and -.5 for sacks vs.-1 and 0 respectively. Still the completions and points per TD thrown may make the difference.

Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster are ranked 1 and 2 per Yahoo's ranking, but by sorting it by Fantasy Points using 2012 Season stats (which would presumably be our scoring system), they're 22 and 25.
    But with that many QB's in the top 22 wouldn't that make other positional players that much more valuable? Interesting...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 1998
    If I remember correctly we did that on purpose to even out the QBs and RBs. With standard scoring after about the 3rd or 4th QB the suckage sets in.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    4 hour VIKING?

Just want to be sure we are all on the same page.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    4 hour VIKING?

Just want to be sure we are all on the same page.
    That's what I was thinking, at least to start off.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2005
    That's what I was thinking, at least to start off.
    4 hours for the first 2 to 4 rounds then 2 hour? We can offset for time zones for instance if our friends on the left coast get in at 8 am I would give them their 2 hour clock starting at 8 am their time not eastern.

Draft goes from 8 am - 5 pm daily (per time zone)
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    But with that many QB's in the top 22 wouldn't that make other positional players that much more valuable? Interesting...
    Certainly that could be the case. I was comparing scoring systems and using ours from last year's results, Drew Brees (overall #1) and Tom Brady (#2) scored a total of 525 and 496 points respectively with Adrian Peterson (#22) at 318. Using say ESPN's standard scoring system, last year Drew Brees (overall #1) and Tom Brady (#2) scored a total of 337 and 329 points respectively, with Adrian Peterson (overall #7) at 297. 21 vs 33 points per game based on scoring system -- our scoring system weighs QB's much more here, which is fine by me.

Still, I went back and forth between Brees and Peterson with the first pick. Finding out that Leslie's gonna play Peterson in a meaningless pre-season game this week, sealed the deal for me.
    Last edited by UrbaneSprawler; 19 Aug 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Certainly that could be the case. I was comparing scoring systems and using ours from last year's results, Drew Brees (overall #1) and Tom Brady (#2) scored a total of 525 and 496 points respectively with Adrian Peterson (#22) at 318. Using say ESPN's standard scoring system, last year Drew Brees (overall #1) and Tom Brady (#2) scored a total of 337 and 329 points respectively, with Adrian Peterson (overall #7) at 297. 21 vs 33 points per game based on scoring system -- our scoring system weighs QB's much more here, which is fine by me.

Still, I went back and forth between Brees and Peterson with the first pick. Finding out that Leslie's gonna play Peterson in a meaningless pre-season game this week, sealed the deal for me.
    Where did you get last year's results.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Where did you get last year's results.
    It is available on Yahoo! . If you go to players and search for 2012 results. Because Giff renewed the league and just changed the name, all the values from last year is still around. Good work Giff

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    4 hours for the first 2 to 4 rounds then 2 hour? We can offset for time zones for instance if our friends on the left coast get in at 8 am I would give them their 2 hour clock starting at 8 am their time not eastern.

Draft goes from 8 am - 5 pm daily (per time zone)
    That would be fine if folks help me keep track of where everyone lives.....
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Is Plankton a VIKING or is he on the West Coast allowing him until 3PM EST?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Team name updated to "The Relocators" to reflect real life
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Is Plankton a VIKING or is he on the West Coast allowing him until 3PM EST?
    I don't know. I don't know if very many are aware we started today.

It appears he is on Pacific Time.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We going to speed this up at all?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Yeah, we need to go to a two hour clock. I was just debating on what round to do that. Six?
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, we need to go to a two hour clock. I was just debating on what round to do that. Six?
    Let's do it next round. We need to get through it faster than we are right now...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Let's do it next round. We need to get through it faster than we are right now...
    Hope you're here in half an hour. Either Duke picks or goes Viking. I wouldn't mind making ONE pick today...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Hope you're here in half an hour. Either Duke picks or goes Viking. I wouldn't mind making ONE pick today...
    My bet is on Viking
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    giff57, do you or Hink have to declare Viking, or can the next person in the draft order just go ahead and make their pick based on the date and time stamp of the last pick?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    giff57, do you or Hink have to declare Viking, or can the next person in the draft order just go ahead and make their pick based on the date and time stamp of the last pick?
    In this case Hink is up so he can pick. The issue now is we stop the clock at 5PM in the local time zone of the user rather than just picking a time zone, so it's kind of hard to tell when someone goes viking if we don't time stamp the Viking deadline. Once we hit the next round, I'll try to make sure to stamp viking time. But no, once the time expires the next up can pick without a commissioner call.
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In this case Hink is up so he can pick. The issue now is we stop the clock at 5PM in the local time zone of the user rather than just picking a time zone, so it's kind of hard to tell when someone goes viking if we don't time stamp the Viking deadline. Once we hit the next round, I'll try to make sure to stamp viking time. But no, once the time expires the next up can pick without a commissioner call.
    I apologize, as I had a meeting last night. I picked early this morning, but that doesn't help Mastiff out yesterday....

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 203
    Last post: 31 Aug 2010, 2:18 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Jul 2007, 3:20 PM
  3. Poll - Draft Order 2005
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 5:14 PM
  4. 2005 Draft Order