Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Social impact assessment

Registered
    Aug 2013

Social impact assessment

May I know if anyone has hands on experience in conducting a Social Impact Assessment? Or if your city/country has a rule/law/regulation mandating the carrying out of Social Impact Assessment? Any advice on these will be deeply appreciated!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I moved this thread from the Introduce yourself sub-forum. Welcome Meek. I hope that you might get more response here.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm embarrassed I've never heard the term. We've done economic impact analysis, housing impact analysis, etc. But never coupled with the term "Social". What is the hope it will analyze? Traffic increases, crime, impact to property value? I'm unclear I guess.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) may have been amended to include the review and analysis of impacts by development proposals on social justice.
    But I could be wrong.

Our good members in the Golden State will know if this is the case.
    Habitual Offender

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2013
    Isn't this another cloud term for comprehensive/master/strategic/best management (pick your lingo) plans for NGO's to operate in foreign countries? IAIA and other google hits make the "process" sound like any other undefined democracy model. Analyzing, monitoring, and managing seems to be the theme and that sounds pretty close to the rational planning model. What is the application for this specific plan?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    I've been hearing about these too, but around here they apply only when the government is acting as developer. I'm curious about the legal implications of imposing them on private developers.

The way I've heard them described, it's taking into account how your project impacts everybody, for example whether an upgrade to rental property would price out the current tenants, displacing them. Am I oversimplifying?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Oregon's land use rules require ESEE (Economic, social, environmental, and energy) analysis in some circumstances. Here is a link to a report on an ESEE analysis done this year that includes some social impact assessment. http://ci.damascus.or.us/References/...pendix%20S.pdf but it's kind of buried in there. This one from Portland has a section on social impacts: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/217121 Google ESEE analysis and all kinds of examples come up. Generally the social impact assessment is not all that complicated in these studies, but they show the kinds of things to be considered.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes

It is a broad spectrum of analysis including most of the "things" that make up the social fabric of society. I was lucky enough to be at the University of Colorado at Denver when Raymond Studer and Bernie Jones were both there teaching Social Planning, Neighborhood Planning and Planning Theory, all of which touched on this subject.

This looks promising and maybe a call to the authors would shed a lot more light on more recent developments. I'm very interested in the subject as well now that I'll be working for a non-profit social services agency.

http://www.ssc.upenn.edu/~gmailath/w...al-context.pdf

or

http://www2.gsu.edu/~ecomec/cc.pdf

and maybe

Gertler et al., 2007; Barrientos
    and Sabatés-Wheeler, 2009; Miller, 2009
    Gertler, P., S. Martinez and M. Rubio-Codina. 2007. Investing Cash Transfers to Raise Long-
    Term Living Standards. Mimeo, 48 pp.

and on the fringes

Miller, C., M. Tsoka, and K. Reichert. 2009. Impact Evaluation Report. External evaluation of
    the Mchinji Social Cash Transfer Pilot. Report for the Government of Malawi, USAID
    and UNICEF Malawi. Mimeo, 56 pp. Center for International Health and Development,
    Boston University School of Public Health and The Centre for Social Research, University
    of Malawi. Available on line at http://www.childresearchpolicy.org/

or

Barrientos, A. and R. Sabatés-Wheeler. 2009. Do Transfers Generate Local Economy Effects?
    Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper 106, Manchester, United Kingdom.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Social impact analysis was a thought that started to be discussed maybe around the late 90's and early 00's, but never seemed to catch on outside a few more liberal jurisdictions. I have not heard of it for many years.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Oregon's land use rules require ESEE (Economic, social, environmental, and energy) analysis in some circumstances.
    And we've only been operating under the triple bottom line: economic, social, and environmental. It's not a triangle, but a square? Whoa.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) may have been amended to include the review and analysis of impacts by development proposals on social justice.
    But I could be wrong.

Our good members in the Golden State will know if this is the case.
    Only if they have a measurable impact on the physical environment; the guidelines does not specifically address those topics for evaluation. That said, highway projects typically require a Community Impact Assessment, which evaluates land use, social justice, community impacts, property acquisitions, etc. Details of the Community Impact Assessment can be found on the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) standard environmental resource webpages, and might be helpful for the OP.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I think that for there to be a both qualitative and quantitate measure, one would need to show case studies on how factor A influenced a range of outcomes. The difficulty would come in proving that it was factor A and not other outside or indirect forces. Additionally, cultural and demographic conditions would need to be taken into consideration. What works in community 1 might be a total failure in community 2.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Visual assessment in Australia
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 12:11 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Sep 2010, 2:44 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Mar 2009, 3:55 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jun 2007, 11:21 PM