Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Best Musical Cover Performances (AIB Great Song Musical Performance… Thread)

  1. #1
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,181

    Best Musical Cover Performances (AIB Great Song Musical Performance… Thread)

    It is often said that a song is often performed best by original performers early in the song's history. In many cases it is true. But in some cases, a cover gets darn close. Other times it is a total failure.

    Take for example this cover of Stairway to Heaven done by Heart for the Kennedy Center Awards which in my eyes, is quite amazing:


    It is till not quite Zepplin, but still gives me chills nonetheless.

    What would you say is the best cover performance not done by the original? (Videos are helpful and encouraged)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Coragus's avatar
    Registered
    May 2002
    Location
    The Bluegrass Region . . . for now
    Posts
    1,024
    Well, lately I've been into Celine Dion's cover of Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night". It's a long story . . .
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,181
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    It's a long story . . .
    We have time...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  4. #4
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Well, lately I've been into Celine Dion's cover of Cyndi Lauper's "I Drove All Night". It's a long story . . .
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    We have time...
    I don't know man. Not sure I want to know about this one.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,643
    Toss-up
    cover of Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

    Hollies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Op4hnJFSu8
    or
    Annie Lennox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIVz9nYx7I
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  6. #6
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,651
    Blog entries
    1
    "Come Together" - Aerosmith covering the Beatles
    "I'm Down" - Aerosmith covering the Beatles
    "Your Mama Don't Dance" - Poison covering Loggins & Messina
    "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen covering The Kinks
    "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" - Van Halen covering The Kinks
    "(Oh) Pretty Woman" - Van Halen covering Roy Orbison
    "Dancing in the Street" - Van Halen covering Martha & the Vandellas
    "You're No Good" - Van Halen covering Dee Dee Warwick
    "Live and Let Die" - Guns N' Roses covering Paul McCartney
    "Mama Kin" - Guns N' Roses covering Aerosmith
    "Train Kept a Rollin'" - Aerosmith covering Tiny Bradshaw
    "Knockin' on Heavens Door" - Guns N' Roses covering Bob Dylan
    "Turn the Page" - Metallica covering Bob Seger
    "Walkin' the Dog" - Aerosmith covering Rufus Thomas
    "Rattlesnake Shake" - Aerosmith covering Fleetwood Mac (live)
    "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" - Aerosmith covering the Shangri-Las
    "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan
    "Landslide" - Smashing Pumpkins covering Fleetwood Mac
    "Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers covering Stevie Wonder
    "Jailhouse Rock" - Motley Crue covering Elvis Presley (live)

    Steven Tyler doing a medley from Abbey Road by the Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0IW57a2gs
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,643
    Molly Hatchet's Freebird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKi3EoV9zBY

    Bruce Springsteen - "Because the Night" (Patti Smith Cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JcWD1rHVo
    Last edited by JNA; 28 Aug 2013 at 7:28 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,747
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    "Come Together" - Aerosmith covering the Beatles
    "I'm Down" - Aerosmith covering the Beatles
    "Your Mama Don't Dance" - Poison covering Loggins & Messina
    "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen covering The Kinks
    "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" - Van Halen covering The Kinks
    "(Oh) Pretty Woman" - Van Halen covering Roy Orbison
    "Dancing in the Street" - Van Halen covering Martha & the Vandellas
    "You're No Good" - Van Halen covering Dee Dee Warwick
    "Live and Let Die" - Guns N' Roses covering Paul McCartney
    "Mama Kin" - Guns N' Roses covering Aerosmith
    "Train Kept a Rollin'" - Aerosmith covering Tiny Bradshaw
    "Knockin' on Heavens Door" - Guns N' Roses covering Bob Dylan
    "Turn the Page" - Metallica covering Bob Seger
    "Walkin' the Dog" - Aerosmith covering Rufus Thomas
    "Rattlesnake Shake" - Aerosmith covering Fleetwood Mac (live)
    "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" - Aerosmith covering the Shangri-Las
    "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan
    "Landslide" - Smashing Pumpkins covering Fleetwood Mac
    "Higher Ground" - Red Hot Chili Peppers covering Stevie Wonder
    "Jailhouse Rock" - Motley Crue covering Elvis Presley (live)

    Steven Tyler doing a medley from Abbey Road by the Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0IW57a2gs
    From my perspective as "old", a lot of those are laughable, but that's just me. I see Steven Tyler on t.v. from time to time and he's just a freak.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian illinoisplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    The Fox Valley
    Posts
    4,651
    Blog entries
    1
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    From my perspective as "old", a lot of those are laughable, but that's just me. I see Steven Tyler on t.v. from time to time and he's just a freak.
    How are they laughable? I guess if you don't like hard rock music. I frankly think a lot of these covers gave the original songs the balls and the edge that they needed. But that's just me. In any case, I think this thread was merely to point out the best covers of particular songs. If you can think of a better cover for each of those songs, I'd be interested to know.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

  10. #10
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,181
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    How are they laughable? I guess if you don't like hard rock music. I frankly think a lot of these covers gave the original songs the balls and the edge that they needed. But that's just me. In any case, I think this thread was merely to point out the best covers of particular songs. If you can think of a better cover for each of those songs, I'd be interested to know.
    I drives me crazy when someone does a remake of a metal song but in a soft, lullaby way.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  11. #11
    Cyburbian HomerJ's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I'm gettin' there
    Posts
    922
    "Dancing Queen"

    Covered by me...every morning in the shower.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian terraplnr's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2005
    Location
    American Riviera
    Posts
    974
    Off the top of my head, "Hurt" performed by Johnny Cash (NIN song)... I like the original and the cover, but in different ways.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,643
    Pearl Jam's Love, Reign O'er Me by The Who
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7yEqPMlQH0
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  14. #14
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,748
    So Mrs. Maister and I had a disagreement recently about the song Mr. Bojangles. I claimed the definitive version was the recording by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but she thought it was Sammy Davis Jr. I said "which version?" and she acted like I'd lived my whole life in a dirt bunker in Mexico because I'd never heard the Sammy Davis' version. I humored her, watched it on youtube, and it was every bit the piece of over-produced (there was a string section for crissakes), schlocky, 1970's adult contemporary sound you'd expect. Some people have no taste.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  15. #15
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,165
    I particularly like Jack Johnson's "cover" of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. Especially for the extra lyrics that he adds to this well known song.

    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

    Six seasons and a movie!

  16. #16
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,999
    I think these need serious consideration

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEP4NmiYQ4
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  17. #17
    Cyburbian ColoGI's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Colo Front Range
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Off the top of my head, "Hurt" performed by Johnny Cash (NIN song)... I like the original and the cover, but in different ways.
    Yes.

    Hoping I don't lose my 'metalhead before the term existed' cred, Christina Aguilera's It's a Man's World at the Grammys.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 2:45 PM
  2. Really Really BAD Musical Scores
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 25 Oct 2007, 5:14 PM
  3. The Influence Of Musical Instruments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 25 Jul 2005, 8:39 AM
  4. A Musical-Comedy about Planning?!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 31 May 2005, 12:42 PM
  5. Another Musical Loss
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Oct 2003, 7:25 PM