Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spam

Registered
    May 2005
    I had fried spam on camping trips a few time when I was a kid. I have to admit, I kind of liked it.

Growing up, I also ate a lot of scrapple. My folks would fry it up and eat it with syrup. A very strange food product and a distant cousin of Spam. I kind of liked that, too. For those not in the know, it’s a food product made from pork scraps, corn meal and wheat flour and formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf. Sounds tasty, no? We stopped eating it after my father had a heart attack when I was in middle school (he survived, but our fatty diet did not)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    I poke my head into Cyburbia and low and behold a thread on Spam.

4th of July I candied some spam with brown sugar and cayenne pepper, then skewered it with some pineapple, bacon and provolone cheese. Served it at a church picnic without telling anyone what it was. When it was gone I made the comment that everyone must have liked the spam since it was gone. The looks and comments I got were priceless.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sort of a postscript, but I happen to think the condiment best suited to accompany Spam would have to be ketchup.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sort of a postscript, but I happen to think the condiment best suited to accompany Spam would have to be ketchup.
    BBQ sauce is pretty good too.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Growing up, I also ate a lot of scrapple. My folks would fry it up and eat it with syrup. A very strange food product and a distant cousin of Spam. I kind of liked that, too. For those not in the know, it’s a food product made from pork scraps, corn meal and wheat flour and formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf. Sounds tasty, no? We stopped eating it after my father had a heart attack when I was in middle school (he survived, but our fatty diet did not)
    I love the stuff. Not sure if I'd want the depression era version, though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is your pledge pin

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPAM Pin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5354

Anybody been to Austin, Minnesota - SPAMTOWN ?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bump

Scenario: the Maister family got a dog from a rescue shelter last week. Unfortunately, between the adoption fee, new dog supplies, and an unexpected vet bill, the checking account is now down to double digits until next Thursday and both vehicles will likely require gas before then. It is therefore essential we spend ZERO money until next week. As part of this unanticipated temporary austerity program, we're having to adjust the weekly menu to include only items that are currently in the pantry and freezers. The good news is that we do probably have enough food in the house to make it for 8 days without having to hit the store, the bad news is that, well, the food items available are primarily ...how should I put this.....second-tier food preferences in our household. For example, I found a can of Spam in the pantry. I think someone bought it around Christmas in 2016 for some reason, and it's been hidden behind a large can of yams for the past 15 months or so.

Your mission: devise a dish for tonight using Spam as the main ingredient. We have some other staples down in the root cellar: some potatoes and onions. We have lots of rice, a pound of noodles and several boxes of 'quicky' starch side dish things like rice a roni, wild rice, and couscous, etc.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I found a can of Spam in the pantry. I think someone bought it around Christmas in 2016 for some reason, and it's been hidden behind a large can of yams for the past 15 months or so.

Your mission: devise a dish for tonight using Spam as the main ingredient. We have some other staples down in the root cellar: some potatoes and onions. We have lots of rice, a pound of noodles and several boxes of 'quicky' starch side dish things like rice a roni, wild rice, and couscous, etc.
    http://www.thehawaiiplan.com/5-delicious-spam-recipes/
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Did you know there's a Spam Museum in Minnesota? I went when I lived there. It was fun! They have some good recipes there: http://www.spam.com/recipes.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    The Japanese exchange students we hosted loved making Spam Fried Rice. It was quite tasty as I recall.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ooh that army base one doesn't look too bad. And I think we've got most if not all of the ingredients. I would need to get a package of ramen noodles....hmmm, I'll have to check the seat cushions and the glove box for loose change.

Quote Originally posted by gtpeach View post
    Did you know there's a Spam Museum in Minnesota? I went when I lived there. It was fun! They have some good recipes there: http://www.spam.com/recipes.
    Wow, some of those are even better. I'm thinking it may be time to donate some plasma so I can buy tater tots for that casserole.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Scenario: the Maister family got a dog from a rescue shelter last week. Unfortunately, between the adoption fee, new dog supplies, and an unexpected vet bill, the checking account is now down to double digits until next Thursday and both vehicles will likely require gas before then. It is therefore essential we spend ZERO money until next week. As part of this unanticipated temporary austerity program, we're having to adjust the weekly menu to include only items that are currently in the pantry and freezers. The good news is that we do probably have enough food in the house to make it for 8 days without having to hit the store, the bad news is that, well, the food items available are primarily ...how should I put this.....second-tier food preferences in our household...
    Actual footage from the Maister family pantry:

Do you have eggs? Scrambled eggs with fried onions and diced up fried SPAM and a side of potatoes sounds pretty good.

Or fried diced SPAM and potatoes with a nice runny egg over it. I guess that would be like a SPAM hash?
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

I've got spam as part of my hurricane food. I've had it once or twice, fried. It really is survival FOOD.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Actual footage from the Maister family pantry:

Do you have eggs? Scrambled eggs with fried onions and diced up fried SPAM and a side of potatoes sounds pretty good.

Or fried diced SPAM and potatoes with a nice runny egg over it. I guess that would be like a SPAM hash?
    There are 10 eggs remaining. I've been deliberating about when and how to dole them out. I was going to make pancakes using some of the eggs, although it occurs to me we have a box of egg substitute we could probably use for that purpose. Hmmmm....

Registered
    Mar 2007
    There are 10 eggs remaining. I've been deliberating about when and how to dole them out. I was going to make pancakes using some of the eggs, although it occurs to me we have a box of egg substitute we could probably use for that purpose. Hmmmm....
    I've substituted some applesauce more than a few times when I started making pancakes and realized I had no eggs. FWIW, pancakes are one of those things I'll often start making just assuming we have all the ingredients and then come to find we are missing something key... usually oil or eggs.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I've substituted some applesauce more than a few times when I started making pancakes and realized I had no eggs. FWIW, pancakes are one of those things I'll often start making just assuming we have all the ingredients and then come to find we are missing something key... usually oil or eggs.
    culinary principle #1 - oil is a liquefying agent and eggs are a congealing agent. Any time a substitution for either is required just pick an different liquefier or congealer.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Spam Super Bowl 2018 TV Commercial, 'Don't Knock It'
    https://www.ispot.tv/ad/waoG/spam-su...-dont-knock-it

How Spam Used the Super Bowl to Kick Off Its Sizzling New Message
    http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketin...g-new-message/

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    SPAM has started a new series of commercials on TV calling everyday "FRYDAY"
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2