Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unexpected discoveries.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Unexpected discoveries.

Every once in a while something strange will be discovered. In a recent case, a highway patrol discovered two vehicles with bodies in them in an Oklahoma Lake that appear to have been there for years... CNN Link because everyone else lies

As planners, we sometimes wander into strange areas only to find something that we might not have expected. Some gruesome as in the link, others not so much.

For me, the strangest was when I was working out east I was was working on some GPS mapping of buildings for a GIS system, and there was a vacant partly burnt out farm house (fire was at least 20 years beforehand) with a fenced in back yard. Out of curiosity I peaked over the fence to find an amazing manicured an mature garden full of flowers. I later found out that the elderly neighbor was friends with the people who owned the house for 30 years before the fire. Apparently she learned to garden there and after the fire and the family lost the house because they had no insurance, she would spend hours each week working in the garden because she could not stand to see it also become abandoned.

I searched for it on google earth a while back and it is now a subdivision.

What strange and unexpected things have you found in your adventures?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jul 1998
    We found this yesterday.

mortar by cityplan_2000, on Flickr
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I lived in Okinawa at Camp Kinser, on Friday and Saturday evenings I would generally make the 15 minute walk into downtown Naha and go to a CD and record shopping (they had a massive Virgin Records store as well as a couple smaller places). One evening I was leaving one of the record stores that was in a large, mid-rise, building. I was in an elevator and nobody else was around so I decided to push the button for the "roof" since I had never been in another elevator that seemed to have access to the roof. I was expecting to actually open on the roof, and if it did I figured it would have a locked door beyond the elevator.

Nope.

I got to the top and the elevator opened up out onto a large patio maybe 20 stories up in the air. There were a few tables set up and manicured trees and small gardens along the edges and at night you could see the lights of the very dense city, the nearby airport, and the Marine Corps base. It was very cool indeed. After that, I started going up there quite frequently. During daylight hours there would be office workers up there enjoying a break and in the evenings, a few local teenagers would show up to skateboard on the roof. I never once saw another American up there. It was my little place away from the busy city, while still being able to see it. I would sit up there for a few hours each time and read or listen to music.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    We found this yesterday.

mortar by cityplan_2000, on Flickr
    coincidence! we found this on tuesday. Not in as good shape as yours

Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    WTF? I find gardens and you find something awesome... I need to move to someplace cool.

Do either of you know the history of your discoveries?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I found some glass Coke bottles that were easily from the 20s or 30s when we were excavating a site last fall.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    WTF? I find gardens and you find something awesome... I need to move to someplace cool.

Ours, found in an abandoned lot in the middle of downtown, is supposedly from WW2. I do know that this is the part of the west coast that actually did have some Japanese subs off the coast and they actually sank an oil tanker very close by to where this was found. I'm assuming it was left by US troops getting ready to defend the city if needed.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A guy I worked with claimed to have investigated a complaint about a horrible smell coming from a commercial dumpster. Upon inspection . . . a dead horse. Not sure what happened from there.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I need to get out more often, I don't get to see anything exciting.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

We have a DOD ammunition plant just outside of town. Starting in the 40's folks have been building things that go boom. That is a mortar built in 1945. The home owner worked at the plant from 51-82. He dies in 1986, but his wife lived until last may or so. The kids were cleaning out the house for sale and they found the mortar inside a box. It turned out to be inert but the DOD had to come up from Fort Leonard Wood to x-ray it to be sure. The DOD is calling it stolen, but the guy's boss could have let him take it back in the day. The DOD took it with them back to Missouri.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2005
    I found a dead mouse skeleton in a ceiling light fixture I was changing out. It was kind of cool.

There was a short while there where almost every time I went riding I found a pair of sunglasses. I found 5 pairs in 4 weeks.

Not very exciting, but there it is. A bomb would be much more interesting.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2013
    The police chief in a town where I worked once kept a human skull on his desk. I never heard the full explanation behind that one, only that it had been found by chance once...

Many years ago mom was walking along a dirt path into Plainfield, NJ and, looking down, found one of these: 1763 British shilling.

In the mid-70s, I found a note in a bottle from a research center looking into NJ tides/currents. I filled out the time, date, and location of the find and returned it and they sent me a check for $1 as well as some info on what they were learning. That was pretty cool.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Found this buried in the wall of my house while remodeling.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We once had a developer turn up a couple old gravestones too weathered to read, but no bodies. Ironic, since in the first year of my career we had a similar incident where a long-time resident showed up in the office to ask if the bodies (buried on the old homestead) had been moved from a development site. Work stopped, an archeologist came in, and still they never found the bodies.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    We once had a developer turn up a couple old gravestones too weathered to read, but no bodies. Ironic, since in the first year of my career we had a similar incident where a long-time resident showed up in the office to ask if the bodies (buried on the old homestead) had been moved from a development site. Work stopped, an archeologist came in, and still they never found the bodies.
    It is very likely that there were indeed burials there, but with the pine box coffins and no vaults of the day, the coffins, along with the bodies therein, literally returned to dust and dissolved into the soil over the years. Left to its devices, nature is very efficient at the disposal of such things (for example, why is it that you nearly never find dead animals in the woods while hiking?).

Mike

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 12 Apr 2006, 8:21 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 22 Aug 2005, 10:04 PM