Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wal Mart Supercenter : Not so bad?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wal Mart Supercenter : Not so bad?

An interesting perspective, me thinks.

www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/oct02/91272.asp

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Great article, I tried to make some of those same arguments when WalMart was looking at us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nearly all of the independent research I have seen on Wal*Mart says the same thing. In the long run, retail in the city with the Wal*Mart improves. However, businesses trying to compete directly tend not to be successful. The ones who benefit are selling complementary items and services, who benefit from the town's increased drawing power. Communities just beyond the Wal*Mart town suffer the worst. They don't have the same drawing power, their customers will go to Wal*Mart, and at the same time they will shop at that community's stores.

My opinion - if a Wal*Mart is going to be locating in your region, get it in your town. There is no point in fighting. If it doesn't go to your community, it will be in your neighbors. At least get the beneficial side effects (jobs, taxes, more customer traffic) rather than still have your business community ravaged without any benefits. Within your community, try to get the best site (from the community's perspective), the best design possible, and any other perks they might give. Wal*Mart will often provide financial support to downtown revitalization programs.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Has anyone seen the two story Wal Marts? I hear they're going to put one in on Mockingbird in Dallas. It actually looked pretty nice.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Nope.

That two story Wal-Mart with the underground parking got denied. The neighborhood didn't want it.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

There is a two-storey wal-mart in my area. It has a interesting escalator system which the carts use to go from floor to floor but other then that it feels like all the other wal-mart stores.

The wal-mart won't be around for two long as the owners of the mall intend to redevelop the site into a higher density mixed-use area.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am a bit of a book nut, so I like checking out independent bookstores.

There is a older independent bookstore in Walnut Creek, about a half hour away from where I work. When Barnes and Noble opened a huge, showy store right on the main street, I thought for sure that Bonanza Books would close.

They are doing fine-because they buy and sell the used books originally bought at Barnes and Noble up the street.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Here's another positive Downtown / Wal Mart story!

/www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/dec02/100852.asp

Note especially the photo in the right story margin - those turn of the century buildings are only a few years old!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Wal-Mart supercenter architecture
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Mar 2007, 3:12 PM
  2. Wal-Mart ISP
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 21 Dec 2004, 4:53 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Jan 2004, 4:38 PM