Urban planning community

Poll results: My kids are/were where on Halloween?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a young hipster - no kids yet/they're too young

11 50.00%
  • I'm not really sure - they're out by themselves

2 9.09%
  • They're with me, I'm carting them around the neighborhood

6 27.27%
  • They're with me, we're walking around the mall - there are alot of crazies out there!

0 0%
  • They're at home - we don't celebrate Satan's Holidays.

0 0%
  • Other - gladly explained below

3 13.64%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Best Practices

Registered
    Oct 2000

Halloween Best Practices

This one is for all the parents - where do you weigh in on supervising Halloween? I'm kinda curious about this.....

However, when I was a kid, we lived in the middle of nowhere, so my parents had to drive us around. My husband grew up in the burbs and proudly regales me with tales of walking the streets for hours then changing costumes and going out for a second round. However, now that we're in our own house, it seems like we only get a handful of trick or treaters and you never see kids out on the street. What's up with that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We live on a double lot on a busy street, so no one really comes up for treats. I don't even buy candy.

My husband and I walk with the kids; we both like seeing the costumes. My husband felt pretty put out the year I suggested he stay behind to give out candy!

I remember staying out without parents for hours, too! We lived in a plan that was adjacent to another bigger plan. Instead of bags, we filled pillowcases.

My oldest is going out with a friend in her neighborhood. They'll have two-way radios and a curfew.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Kylie goes out with Erica and I. We hit a couple of neighborhoods, then cart her off to family and friends in the car. BTW...this year she's a princess....pics to come.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh yes, the costumes. This year Allie wanted to be a giraffe? and AJ a horse. COme on! Usually they drag out the dress up box and after draping thenselves in chiffon, flowing scarves and wings they are fairy princesses. SO how do I do animals? No prob I actually googled 'giraffe costume' hoping to find some homemade ideas and ta-da, Kohls department store has their petables furry costumes on sale. I can get a giraffe and a very sweet lion for $10. ea! We are in business. And we even have the pumpkins, straw bales and corn stalks and made a scarecrow. Usually I am so lame regarding holidays and am usually still whittling pumpkins up until the first ring of the doorbell.

So as a kid, we were let loose on the neighborhood, and my mom used to make the kids do tricks for their candy like a cartwheel or stand on their head. Here my kids will go door to door with one of us, but there is not much action in the street. We'll hit only a few doors then head over to Grattan Raceway where there is a halloween party with hayrides, goodies and prizes. The owners throw this party for the community as a way of saying thanks for being a good neighbor. (the only complaint i have about living near a motorsports course is when the cops and ambulance drivers get a track day, and they are taking laps with sirens a blowing)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I live in an older neighborhood and it's packed on Halloween night. A lot of families bring pickup-loads of kids to trick-or-treat here. My next-door neighbor and I take our boys out together while her husband and my mom man the home front to give out candy. We usually get 50 to 60 trick or treaters, but last year after 9/11 it dropped to about 25.
    When I was a kid (way back in the 60's) many of the neighbors gave out home-made treats like candy apples and popcorn balls and nobody worried. All the same families lived there forever. When we were 7 or 8, our parents let us trick-or-treat without adults along, but with some neighbor kids who had teenage sisters to take us around. My son is 9, and I can't bring myself just yet to cut him loose with the neighborhood kids on Halloween night.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I buy my kids eggs.

It's cheaper than costumes... Oh, and I give out condoms to the kids who come to the door that I get free at the local clinic.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

We moved to our neighborhood just less than a year ago. It's a gentrifing area with retired couples and young professionals. We don't know how many children actually live in our neighborhood, so we are really looking forward to seeing who the neighborhood kids are.

But it is just weird here we have Beggars Night, which is on the 30th. That is the night the kids go out and collect candy. Any other areas trick or treat on another night besides Halloween?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by cowley.11

But it is just weird here we have Beggars Night, which is on the 30th. That is the night the kids go out and collect candy. Any other areas trick or treat on another night besides Halloween?
    yes. yes, it's weird. (jk) - so what do kids do on Halloween? the only times i've ever seen trick or treaters on a night other than the 31st is when we lived in SC, and Halloween was on a Tuesday, and some parents didn't want their kids out on a school night, so there was this big community debate to whether trick or treating should be done tuesday or friday. wackos.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have the kids this Thursday for Halloween (last year it was on a night we don't have them, so we didn't get to see their cute costumes). My bf will be taking them (and a friend each) out trick or treating and I'll stay home and man the candy. Supposedly last year we had about 300 kids at our place, so it ought to be a rockin' evening (I love watching the shy little kids all dressed up and asking for candy... the are so cute!) I could do without the teenagers but hey, it all goes hand in hand.

Quinn (bf's seven y.o.) is going as Spider Man and Lauren (10 y.o.) is going as some sort of Princess. The 15 y.o. will probably hang with me and pass out candy.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    holy crap! 300? we'll have to do a poll on Friday morning to see who got the most trick or treaters!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I expect 60 -70 kids.

My peeve is that when I run out of candy and turn off the porch and front room lights and the kids still keep banging on my door.

My other peeve is people who bring babies and only babies trick or treating. (Under 2 year olds). Is the candy for the kid or for them? And no wonder we have so many fat people, if people actually feed their babies candy.

On a related note

What is everyones favourite halloween candy?

I like the kraft caramels and other chewy caramels.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

I like the carmels and smarties.

But as a kid there was always one house that gave away whole candy bars. That was super exciting.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm not sure what my favorites were but definitely not chips or those molasses kisses. yechhh!!

A place in our neighbourhood gave out cans of pop/soda. Another place gave out toothbrushes......a guess they tried to strike a balance.

I lived in one community where people took all their candy to the community centre and the kids went there for games and treats. There was no door to door trick or treating.

I grew up near a fairly big university and halloween always provided an opportunity for initating the new hockey players...that added a bit of excitment. I expect some years my parents got over 250 kids but not as many now.

We took possession of our house 2 years ago on halloween, we had very few visitors, last year we had a few more. This year we have a brand new sidewalk on our side of the street so I think we will get more kids this year, if not we will have lots of treats for us....just what we need.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I always hated the people who gave out cans of pop - too heavy!

Anything chocolate was my fav - plus those heart-sickingly sweet candy "pills" - forget what they're called. Basically sweethearts in a different form.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    worst candy: taffy, candy corn or bazooka gum (too hard!) oh! or raisins! what the hell!
    favorite: all of the mini candy bars. and when we were kids, home made popcorn balls! yum!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My fave candy is red vines, but candy corn (or the brach's pumpkins... yum!) and three musketeer bars are good. The hershey's chocolate and any variations on hersheys taste absolutely weird up here, so I've stopped eating it. However, there is a totally yummy candy bar called Wunderbar up here and it's made by Cadbury's... it's not one of my traditional Halloween faves, but it's soooooo yummy that it has snuck into my top five favorite candy bars.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    When I mentioned other chewy caramels, I meant the molasses kisses. I guess I am one of the feww people who actually like them.

I'm also with Tranplanner on the sugar candy, sweet and soury goodness.

No wonder my dentist complains about my teeth.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Anyone do any egging or get egged last night?? Man I sure miss college. Mischief Night was great....egging rival fraternities, egging your best friends, didn't matter. The whole town came out for the egg wars.

Drive-by eggings were always my favorite, well until an egg got winged in my truck on one mission. Egg is really a pain to clean off upholstery.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [i]

My other peeve is people who bring babies and only babies trick or treating. (Under 2 year olds). Is the candy for the kid or for them? And no wonder we have so many fat people, if people actually feed their babies candy.

[/B]
    I'll take my fourteen month old out trick or treating tonight...at least to adjoining houses. Its not for the candy. It's to say "Hi" to the neighbors on the one night where you need no excuse to bang on everyone's door. I like to show off my daughter in her cute costume, and I like to see the other kids in their costumes.

'Will she get any of her candy? If she's given any, I might let her have a nibble if she gets anything soft enough for her to chew.

As to why we have so many fat people? The reason I've gained fifty pounds over the last five years is simply that I shifted from my low paying physical jobs (that let me walk ten miles or more per day) to a higher paying sedentary job (which lets me pay the mortgage) without changing my diet. I can't stand "exercise" for the sake of exercise. If I'm walking, I have to have a destination, but there's no place to go on my side of the freeways, and my neighbors voted down the Wal Mart that could have been the destination for a nightly pilgrimage.

Favorite Candy?
    Butterfinger, Snickers, or anything with hard toffee inside it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favorite was the very elusive and highly prized caramel apple. My third grade teacher, three-quarters of a mile one way from my house, gave them away. Halloween itself never contributed to me gaining any weight. A kid hiking five or six miles carrying a twenty pound bag of loot can burn off a lot of calories. And then that apple is healthy anyway, right? Fortunately I am not a big fan of candy anymore. If only I could walk by a bakery without a deep longing for what is inside.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not a "sweets eater". But conversly, I can't wait to see what burns in Detroit tonight.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    When I mentioned other chewy caramels, I meant the molasses kisses.
    I've never heard of these... but I like molasses. Where do you buy them?

My bf's mum lives in Truro, and she sends us chicken bones around the holidays. I'm talking the cinnamon tasting hard candies... man, those are yummy! We didn't have those down in the States.

But one thing I just don't get... Canadians seem a little obsessed with scotch mints. They are alright and everything, but it seems like they are huge out here.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I can't stand scotch mints anymore - too many long roadtrips with my parents, and that was the only candy in the car. Ugh.

I don't like those chewy molassses things either - but you can get them just about anywhere Deb. Look for the candies in the hideous orange wrappers with little pumplins/witches/etc. on them. I think you can only get them around halloween.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The molasses candies are the candies that keep on giving. They take about an hour to eat one, because they are so chewy.

As for chicken bones. I know they are a local delicacy (St. Stephen NB) but I don't know what is so great about them. The cinnamon and chocolate seem to be fighting for taste supremecy to the detriment of the other. Now turkish delight (Big Turk) chocolate bars on the other hand...

I gave put candy to about 65 kids last night. (2 bags of 26 chocolate bars and the molasses candies). Unfortuneately I ran out of candy so none for me.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It was raining in Toronto last night, so not too many kids at my brother's place (about 50?). Therefore, lots of candy leftovers.

Oh, and of course I had to exact an "uncle" tax on my two niece's haul

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Halloween Songs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 28 Oct 2014, 4:28 PM
  2. Halloween haul
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 09 Nov 2013, 1:04 AM