Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: All Hallow's Eve

Registered
    Jul 2002

All Hallow's Eve

What is your most memorable Holloween costume/story?

When I was in college, downtown Kent got very weird on the weekend night before Halloween. Everyone was in costume and seemed to lose what few inhibitions that alcohol had missed. One night in Ray's six girls walked in. They were collectively dressed as "Let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages". Five were dressed in form fitting beige and had a fingernail fixed on the back of their head. The second from the left had a gold band around her waist. The sixth was dressed in yellow in the form of a phone book. Pretty cool. But then all five fingers stood up on the bar backs to the crowd and then all but the middle one bent over.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Austin in the early 90s, a house that had nothing but linoleum on the floor, inflatable sheep (part of someones costume), lots of good Hip-Hop, inline skates, smashing pumpkins (literaly), full moon and the first real cold front of the year, about 30 degrees. Oh yeah, and there was plenty of fungusamongus. Wild abandon. I think we all greated the sun rise to get ready for the Day of the Dead festivities.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I see interesting costumes on Halloween but the more ingenious costumes are worn during Mardi Gras. Some of my favorite costumes were not overly original but for some reason, struck my funny bone: 7 people dressed up like court jesters sitting along a table with a sign in front of them saying "The New Orleans City Council." Another one was a family dressed up like the Clintons walking/dancing in a line while carrying luggage with Bill leading the way. He was carrying a boom box over his shoulder blasting "Moving On Up" - the theme song to the Jeffersons (this was right after the time he set up office in Harlem).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Bryan Texas, while in planning school. My friend went as a nun. Her costume was so well done. I went as a cat. Had a cave woman outfit and added ears and a tail.

While there I met a guy who was dressed as a cow. He had the kind of costume you would expect to see outside of Chick-Fil-A. We decided our costumes were a sign and we started dating for a while after that party.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Living right across the river from Camden, NJ the night before halloween is always teh most interesting. You can usually see the glow from all the fires burning for miles.

As for costumes I saw the best one last year. My buddy dressed up as Wilson, from Home Improvement. He bought a small section of wooden fencing, put wheels and handles on it and pushed it around all night, while he wore a flannel shirt and fishing hat. It was great.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Super Grover

From Sesame Street. A friend showed up in blue tights a big red "G" sewed onto the tights, a red cape, blue body paint, a red foam nose, and silver pith helmet.

I didnt get it at first, and I didnt recognize him. Figuring he was a party guest I hadnt met yet, I walked over and said, "And you are WHAT?!"

He politely replied in an excitable grover voice "I'm SUPER GROVER! " There were overlapping moments of recognition - of my friend Tom, and of the fact he was Super Grover. I laughed so hard I had an asthma attack and had to leave.

Registered
    Aug 2001

A work related story...

I used to enjoy making my own costumes when I worked for the City of Oak Harbor, and all of city hall was very into dressing up. One year we were sued by Walmart. So I went dressed up as a Walmart store (used that spray granite stuff on a cardboard box, painted the obligatory blue stripe, had a little sign and everything)... and the junior planner went as a Walmart greeter. He slicked back his hair, wore a blue vest with a "Hi May I Help You, My Name Is..." kind of tag. Together we were very funny.

Also, the City Engineer used to call me the City Planter because he thought all I cared about was landscaping... so I came as a City Planter (another granite box with a city logo, with a green shirt with silk flowers hot glued on).

As a team effort the Long Range Planning group went in Gilligan's Island theme dress to work last year... I got to be gilligan... it was a blast.

I have seen a ton of awesome costumes over the years at various parties. My boyfriend is very into halloween, and likes to do all that makeup stuff. I hope he does something odd this year.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I always have the worst time picking out what I want to be. Last year I had amazing black wings, but the house we went to had a very narrow kitchen and they almost caught on fire.

This year I'm thinking about going as Medusa.. spray painted fake snakes and made the head piece already.. Unless I find a great Marilyn dress..
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    .. Unless I find a great Marilyn dress..
    About 6 weeks after her death, a friend of a friend dressed as "Dead Princess Diana". It was tasteless, but very funny.

Registered
    Jul 2002

emmit

Another Halloween, also in college, I dressed up as Emmit Kelley (the sad clown) with a rubber mask I had and a broom. (Emmit Kelley had a routine of walking around with a broom like a tramp.) Anyway, in one bar I (probably half in the bag) sat down next to a girl dressed up as a happy clown. Then I saw a big flash an looked up to see a photographer. Anyway, when graduation time came, I got ahold of a year book. I didn't have the money to get a picture taken for it but I looked through it anyway. And, there we were, two clowns sitting at a table in Walter's Cafe. My only picture in my college year book and I have a full mask on and no one can tell its me.

Registered
    Dec 2001

In poor taste

Year before last.. a guy dressed up as the dead JFK JR.. nice suit with seaweed and fishes tied on..

Last year, I saw a guy dressed as a baby powdered "anthrax"
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    last year I went as

ed the sock

people kind of recognized the costume, but not really.

I like the super grover idea.....
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok in college every year i was a mime, black outfit, white face white gloves, hair up in a bun slicked back

pretty boring right?

nooo every time i went out like that i got a date-the men had NO idea what i really looked like. at the end of the night id walk to my car and get their numbers (im a liberated woman) and then reach up and let my hair down *it was to my bottom then* and they would stand their with their mouths open.

the best part was when they showed up to pick me up for the date-i always got a 2nd date.

why i got dates from that outift and not say the vamp or greek goddess *toga from Fredricks* ill never understand.

any ideas guys?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    slightly OT, but previously mentioned

What other places have a habit of burning stuff / the city around halloween?.

In university we used to go down to the river, or sit in the dorm and watch detroit burn.

Where I live now the entire province seems to burn on halloween. (when talking to tourists am frequently asked what the weird circles on the road are from)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    One year in philly...

I went with five friends, we took washing maching cardboard boxes and cut off the tops and bottoms, and glued them all together... we painted it red, added handles so we could lift it from the inside, and added the big "handle" in the middle.

Then we dressed in brown sweat pants, and had red T-shirts lettered "BUD" across the front, and added brown caps with the bills removed and pinted them up to look like bottle caps.

After painting "Budweiser - King of Beers" on the washing machine boxes, we went as a six-pack. We won the costume contest...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1998

Halowwenb Costumes

I once stood in for the Ditrector of Plannig in Detroit at a meeting on Haloween and discovered that 2 guys from the Michigan Jobs Commission came dressed as the "Men in Black". These guys even prepared "MIB" business cards for themselves.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Back about 15 years ago during my undergrad days (gasp):

I was a swammy. My girlfriend was a playboy bunny, and another friend was a 1920's "flapper", and others we a priest and nun. My running joke all night was, "A priest, a nun and two hookers walk into...."

After a rousing party a group of us costumed drunks went out to the bars in Oshkosh.

A 'tatered frat boy stumbles up to me and sez "Hey shwammie *belch* Read my palm *hiccup*"

A grasped his outward held palm, looked at the lines, and responded "YOU'RE AN A**HOLE!". So after he took a swing and we all got kicked out, we went to another fine establishment for their $3.00 all-you-can-drink special. It was fun until the lifegaurd and bride puked in front of theDJ booth.

Ah, college. What a wonderful institution!

Registered
    Jul 2002

most memorable is different from most fun

One year I went to a frat party and the best costume I ever saw was a guy in a huge milk carton and under his cardboard face it said "have you seen me?" I couldn't stop laughing. I have seen tons of fun costumes. I remember being down on State street in Madison Wi when I was younger and seeing the mobs of humanity all out and the bands and everything. My parents always took me home before the rioting got too bad. Unfortuantely when I was in college there was no more rioting... Urban renewal at its finest

Actually I met my current girlfriend on Halloween. What does that tell you. I went to a private party at the local brewery with my friend to have a few beers while the rest of my friends were getting ready. I met this girl who laughed at me all night. when I finally asked her where she was going later she was going to meet "chris" and he was going to be at the Red Shed. I was like "D@mn" all this time ruined. Well, a few weeks later at the brewery I was having drinks ( they have a bar in the brewery) and she came in. we spoke for a while, she was cuter than i remembered and I got her number. Well, 3 years and two moves later she is still following me around the country.

Oh yeah, the reason she laughed at me all night was I was the red Teletubbie, PO. After we met up with my friends, all 4 teletubbies drank free that night.

Registered
    Jul 2002

mime

Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Ok in college every year i was a mime, black outfit, white face white gloves, hair up in a bun slicked back

pretty boring right?

nooo every time i went out like that i got a date-the men had NO idea what i really looked like. at the end of the night id walk to my car and get their numbers (im a liberated woman) and then reach up and let my hair down *it was to my bottom then* and they would stand their with their mouths open.

the best part was when they showed up to pick me up for the date-i always got a 2nd date.

why i got dates from that outift and not say the vamp or greek goddess *toga from Fredricks* ill never understand.

any ideas guys?
    Probably curosity. (or a desire to be with a woman that doesn't talk. Just kidding.)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    slightly OT, but previously mentioned

What other places have a habit of burning stuff / the city around halloween?.

Detroit has to take the honors for the originators of this ritual....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by TexasPlanner

This year I'm thinking about going as Medusa..
    My wife went as medusa last year - did the same thing with the headpiece, and made herself a shiny gold dress. I went as a Roman emperor.

We can't decide what we want to do this year...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl

any ideas guys?
    Remember that this advice is from a guy who only dates about 6 times a year, in a good year.

On my High School Cross Country Ski Team, we had a theory that if a girl has a face that was pretty/cute covered in icy boogers, imagine what she would look like cleaned up. Maybe this extends to costumes and life in general. Costumes and clothes while they may make the person look more attractive or be more expensive, they only mask what is already there. Then again with XC ski race suits, you can see all, and may be more forgiving of faces.

Also maybe when dresed as a mime you appeared more "playful" and "fun" and where therefore more approachable then when dressed like vamp or toga queen. (two costumes that might be taken as serious / intimidating)

Registered
    Jul 2002

vamp and toga vs mime

Here is my theory:

If I saw a girl in school in a toga, especially if I knew it was from Fredricks of Hollywood, I would think one of two things. i'm gonna try to get her in bed tonight as i bet shes a little slut. Or I don't have a chance she is out of my league. The mime or something else less showing of the skin is someone who you would want to spend some money on a date and actually get to know the person. And trying to get a number from a mime and getting her to talk would be a lot of fun. A girl in a toga or catsuit to me is uncreative and not someone who I would want to go out with or spend time with.

Take it however you want. My advise is worth what you paid for it.

However I am always a sucker for a girl in a catholic schoolgirl uniform...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: vamp and toga vs mime

Originally posted by Bucky alum

However I am always a sucker for a girl in a catholic schoolgirl uniform...
    Did you see "That '70s Show" last week?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    One year I went as a minister and met a woman at the party dressed as a witch in a very sexy outfit. The two of us made a nice contrast and since it was at the Officer's Club on the base I was statoined at (these tend to be very conservative) I think we pissed a few people off. I can't use that one anymore as I am now a minister. Thanks for the link, Dan.

Last year I attended a party in one of Madison's breweries. While I particularly enjoyed all of the scantily clad women, the best was a guy who came dressed as Marge Simpson - blue wig, pearls, and green dress.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast