Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Winter or Normal Winter?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Hard Winter or Normal Winter?

The news is talking about the price increases of heating oil and propane because of the higher demand and lower supply. The cost of natural gas has not been effected quite yet. Some places have limited salt and are already over budget for snow removal.

Has the harsh winter caused problems for you? How do you ehat your house? Do you think it is as bad as people say it is, or is it just a normal winter and we have been so use to soft winters over the past several years?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Electric heating.
    I never turn my heat on. Canadians are too sturdy to need heat!

No but seriously, I turn my heat on twice a week or so during the dead of winter when it gets too cold to sleep, and I've never noticed much difference on my bill.

Normal winter.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We are supposed to be having a harsh, cold winter here in Colorado.
    December was cold.
    January is warm.
    Yesterday I drove around in short sleeves with my sun roof open.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't pay for my heat. Its included in the rent. Much better than when I had electrical heat and had to pay for it myself. I remember paying $150 one month to heat a small studio apartment, I think it was less than 300 SF.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Most of Wisconsin has nearly reached the level of snow we get all year and February and March lay ahead. We can expect to get snowstorms even into april.

A better question would be "If you are having a harsh winter, what type of harsh winter are you experiencing", "Cold/Snow/Ice (storms)/Cold/Warm/Precipitation/Drought/Fires/Tornados". As our climate changes and the atmosphere warms, weird weather events will increase. The climate changing and weird weather events will destroy many things we take for granted.

In Wisconsin, we will see the end of Door County Cherries and the end of the maple syrup industry. Ice fishing has already lost a month from its traditional mid december to the beginning of march time frame. Snowmobiling has taken a hit in this state over the last decade and it may disappear in the next decade altogether. Snow related industries fading away will further impoverish the northern part of the state. Groundwater recharge will be affected, increasing the effects on adjacent property owners living next to high capacity wells (the number of which are vastly increasing).
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

There is no winter here.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    It's been a little cold here except when we have been unseasonably warm. Clear as mud. Dropped today from 40 to 12 in 2-3 hours.
    Don't read the comments section. You want to, but don't do it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    I don't pay for my heat. Its included in the rent. Much better than when I had electrical heat and had to pay for it myself. I remember paying $150 one month to heat a small studio apartment, I think it was less than 300 SF.
    Same here. Unfortunately we are in a 90 year old building with a steam radiator system that isn't always the most reliable. NJ has a state law that says building temperatures must be maintained at 65F overnight and 68F daytime between October 1 and April 1. We have 4 radiators on four different lines, 3 work pretty well and the 4th one is less than reliable. Naturally, this one is in my bedroom which is on the corner of the building and has two windows-it gets pretty cold.

My friends that live in similar buildings and I joke that the radiator is the on/off switch and the window is the thermostat. It's not uncommon that you will see windows wide open in the dead of winter in the larger buildings.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It seems to me that it has been a hard winter. Although it has snowed often, we have not had any really big storms that dump a foot of snow. Those have been just to the south. Overall, I would not say that the snow accumulation has been different than normal, but we have been cold. Since before Thanksgiving it seems as if we have been colder than normal. I usually expect one week in January with temperatures at or below zero, but it has been almost an entire month. Maybe we have had two days above freezing since Christmas. That is not normal.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The snowfalls seem comparable to those I recall back in the 70's but what's made this winter unusual is how cold it's been.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm going with normal but strange winter. The snowfall is normal, but the warming wave is kind of odd. As far as heating, we have a gas furnace and use a wood fireplace. The house would heat better if I swapped out the windows that all leak.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The snowfalls seem comparable to those I recall back in the 70's but what's made this winter unusual is how cold it's been.
    According to local weather reports, this is on average the coldest week of the year. But the anticipated temps are going to be between 8 and 20 degrees below average. The snow situation is interesting because I have lived in this City for less than 10 years now and there has been a record snowfall within that time... this does not seem to be snowier than that. I think the difference is that it has been cold and the snow that we have gotten has only melted back once.

Overall, I think it might be a bit colder and snowier than average, but nothing overwhelming. It will be interesting to see if there are floods this spring and what the summer will bring.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2005
    Whatever it is, I don't like it. The older I get (and I'm only 35), the more I can appreciate why people move to warmer climates as they age.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Whatever it is, I don't like it. The older I get (and I'm only 35), the more I can appreciate why people move to warmer climates as they age.
    The flip side to that, is that the summers are really, really hot. Where I'm at, you also deal with the humidity. The southwest would not be as bad, but then you deal with the lack of water.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's been consistently colder than the past 7 years I have been in NJ. Snowfall seems normal.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    No winter here... the only sign it is winter here is the nighttime temperatures which are in the 30's. Yesterday was 32 days in a row of above average temperatures, yesterday was also the 40 plus day in a row with no rain. In December we had 0.05 inches of rain and thus far in January, nothing. We have had several days in the 80-90 degree range. The culprit is an unmoving ridge just west of California which is causing a trough to the east of here, giving the eastern half of the country a pretty tough winter. The long-range forecasts are showing little chance of this ridge breaking down which means no rain and warm temps here on the west coast.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    We are supposed to be having a harsh, cold winter here in Colorado.
    December was cold.
    January is warm.
    Yesterday I drove around in short sleeves with my sun roof open.
    That early cold snap set back my garlic at least a month. And we could use some more snow down here, but otherwise not too strange in these parts. And I hope the weather during the football game doesn't make anyone want to move here!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Has the harsh winter caused problems for you? How do you ehat your house? Do you think it is as bad as people say it is, or is it just a normal winter and we have been so use to soft winters over the past several years?
    It's been colder than past winters and we've gotten more snow, but I think we've had it very easy in the past 10-20 years. I don't think there has been much to worry about this year, just been hyped up. I personally love it!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our winter has been mostly mild. I keep seeing those artic blasts pushing well east of Montana and am glad of it. Of course the downside is we might endup with inadequate snow pack come Spring and have a very dry summer. A dry summer means a short floating season and a summer of bad wildfires.

Mother Nature is a beyootch.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2002
    It's a stupid winter! What's the point of living in Kentucky if it's only 6 degree outside at lunch time?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    It's a stupid winter! What's the point of living in Kentucky if it's only 6 degree outside at lunch time?
    Wow... that is 10 degrees colder than it is here right now... and I am in Michigan!

For a while my wife has been pushing the idea of moving to the south, and there a few irons in the fire here that makes me want to hang out here. But if it gets much colder and this winter gets any worse, I might be looking for employment in a confederate state by winter's end.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It has been a bit colder than normal down here in Austin. Probably the coldest winter in about 10 years. But the swings have been more violent--dropping 40 degrees from one day to the next. For example, the high today is around 40. Ice is forecast for this evening. Yesterday it was around 73. Saturday it'll be back up to around 70.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I moved around so much between 1996 and 2005 that I sort of forgot what winter is supposed to be like in Metro Detroit and no longer have a real good reference point. Spending a few winters in Portland, ME really distorted my view of average snowfall and some winters in coastal NC, the tropics, and the Balkans made me forget what temps are supposed to be. So I just take everything in stride...

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    For a while my wife has been pushing the idea of moving to the south, and there a few irons in the fire here that makes me want to hang out here. But if it gets much colder and this winter gets any worse, I might be looking for employment in a confederate state by winter's end.
    It's the opposite in our house. Even though I enjoy the cold weather, I am constantly recommending we move to the South or Southwest. My wife is 100% unresponsive, no matter how much I ramp up the pleas. Oddly, my wife is the one who will complain about the ice, snow, and cold every single day from about a week before Halloween until the middle of April.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Electric heating.
    I never turn my heat on. Canadians are too sturdy to need heat!

No but seriously, I turn my heat on twice a week or so during the dead of winter when it gets too cold to sleep, and I've never noticed much difference on my bill.

Normal winter.
    Apparently I lied. I just received a more recent bill. TWENTY DOLLARS more than usual! This starving student is not impressed.

No more heat for me.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Oh Happy Happy Joy Joy...

They are talking blizzard conditions for most the 40+ miles between my office and my house, starting... oh, 30 minutes ago. Maybe I will leave at noon today. I don't have the suburban because I had to pick up the Impala from its resurrection this morning.

AND, they are now saying that next week we will get the coldest weather of the season.

Any one within an hour of the Gulf of Mexico hiring?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Winter Olympics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 140
    Last post: 10 Mar 2010, 8:36 PM
  2. Winter driving in Pittsburgh
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 26 Dec 2007, 1:21 PM
  3. 2006 Winter Olympics