Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Management assessment

Registered
    Nov 2002

Management assessment

For those of you that deal with larger public planning offices, have you ever responded to, or created, a management evaluation for how the office is functioning? I heard from a colleague who works in a private office that they periodically send out an electronic, anonymous survey of all employees to assess how the office is managed and gather suggestions for ways to improve it. I am intrigued, although I also worry that the lifers of the world may use it as a chance to rank on their managers.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    A city I worked for did a citywide survey conducted by a private company (sorry I forget the name). The questions were mostly a 1-10 scale of manager confidence, department capability, training practices, qualifications, etc. If it's a city, I recommend sharing the results. It puts the problem in the open, but it shows you're willing to work on it. The other thing I noticed was that employees read the results differently than management. Our city had two departments that basically blasted management, but supported things like benefits. Considering every department is going to have the negative guy, when a department pegs lower than the rest you know there is a problem. The employee's problem was that the city didn't pick that as the result. They saw the positive things like good benefits and efficient public service (which is good, but not the point).

Should you do one, yes. Just make sure you design the questions well and make sure they point to a broad problem and not one specific manager. Then make sure to follow up with the results.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have never been a fan of surveys for this kind of thing, as there is too great an opportunity for employees to rag on management with little opportunity for assessing the fairness or motivation of the criticisms. A better approach is to bring in an impartial person who will sit down with people one on one, question them, and get to the motivation of the comments. That person will hopefully be objective and insightful enough to realize when somebody has an ax to grind, versus others who may have legitimate issues or ideas.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I have never been a fan of surveys for this kind of thing, as there is too great an opportunity for employees to rag on management with little opportunity for assessing the fairness or motivation of the criticisms....
    ...or the employees may think management is watching and survey will be held against them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Social impact assessment
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Sep 2013, 10:59 AM
  2. Visual assessment in Australia
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 11:30 AM