Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Finally a Barbie Doll for PlannerGirl!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Finally a Barbie Doll for PlannerGirl!

From CNN:

NEW YORK (AP) -- A British dollmaker who turned a squeaky clean Barbie into a Dungeon Doll with the help of a rubber bondage dress and helmet did not appear to violate the copyrights of Mattel Inc., a judge says.

U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain based her findings on arguments made by Mattel and the defendant, Susanne Pitt, who communicated from her residence in Gateshead, England, with two letters and two e-mails.

The judge's November 1 ruling permitted a lawsuit filed by Mattel against Pitt to go forward but said there did not appear to be the kind of evidence in the record for the toymaker to win.

The El Segundo, California, company says it seeks to stop Pitt from further infringing on its copyrights and seeks $10,000 in statutory damages and $1,350 in legal fees.

"We are committed to vigorously protecting our established trademarks, which includes Barbie," Mattel spokeswoman Lisa Marie Bongiovanni said Thursday.

Pitt's telephone number in England was not listed.

The judge, referencing an advertised description of the partly nude doll in "lederhosen-style Bavarian bondage dress and helmet in rubber with PVC-mask," wrote that the Dungeon Doll is "quite different from that typically appearing on Mattel's products for children."

"It appears that there is a slim to no likelihood that `Dungeon Dolls' would serve as a market substitute for Barbie dolls," she said. "The sale or display of `adult' dolls does not appear to be a use Mattel would likely develop or license others to develop."

Such a parody appears to pose no threat to Mattel's sales of Barbie dolls and thus does not seem to violate the company's copyright, the judge concluded.

In her written correspondence, Pitt defended her unusually costumed and painted doll, with a SuperStar Barbie head, which was featured in a sexually explicit story on a Web site that offered various sexual paraphernalia and Dungeon Dolls for sale. Mattel said it bought a Dungeon Doll for $186.

Pitt argued that Barbie is frequently subjected to parody and satire but that Mattel does not distinguish "between social commentary and commercial exploitation" in its enforcement efforts.

She said she stopped offering the dolls when Mattel complained and she notified the court on October 2, 2001, that her Web site was closing due to her financial difficulties.

Registered
    Oct 2001

How about Divorcee Barbie?

...she comes with all Ken's accessories.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: How about Divorcee Barbie?

Originally posted by Mastiff
    ...she comes with all Ken's accessories.
    Of course, if Ken wasn't missing one very important... *ahem*... accessory, maybe Barbie wouldn't have filed for divorce.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: How about Divorcee Barbie?

Originally posted by nerudite

Of course, if Ken wasn't missing one very important... *ahem*... accessory, maybe Barbie wouldn't have filed for divorce.
    That ain't an accessory...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    lol how come i always get picked on?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Denver Barbie! She offers scalable, robust, mission-critical B2B e-business solutions that empower Global 2000 clients! She's also claimed 21 fourteeners, and she only dates guys from Wash Park and Cherry Creek who are at least 6' tall and can ski the back bowls at Vail.

Buffalo Barbie! She drives a power blue 1983 Dodge Aries, calls bingo at The Most Holy Precious Blood of the Seventeen Martyred Saints Church in Depew, and has a 235 average!

PlannerGirl Barbies! They ... well, you know. Dripping glittery candle wax kit extra. Not available in Mississippi and some Texas counties.

El Guapo Barbie! She exercises her Second Amendment rights! Full auto conversion instructions extra.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Damn i want the Latex Barbie-can i get the latex one with the nuns habit in latex?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That's the funniest sh*t I've seen today!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    L.A. Barbie!

Ol' Miss University Barbie!

San Francisco Barbie!

New Orleans Barbie!

Administrator's note: Alabama Barbie moved to another trailer, where they allow the public display of aereola.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    oh jezz thats bad

Registered
    Dec 1998
    **Wondering if this could get any worse**

Registered
    Oct 2000
    LOL. So glad I swallowed my coffee before reading this thread. Does anyone remember when the made the Karen Carpenter Story movie with an all Barbie cast?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Sorta O/T:

Gangta Bitch Barbie was a great local Boston band. Mattle sued them over the name, so changed it. They are now 'Nullset'. Blah!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 01 Nov 2012, 11:57 AM
  2. Barbie
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 22 Feb 2011, 9:03 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2005, 3:05 PM
  4. Ken & Barbie