Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why Fish Need Bicycles

Registered
    Jul 2003

Why Fish Need Bicycles

I searched and didn't see this posted here yet:
    Streets and Creeks Part 1: Why Fish Need Bicycles

Thereís an oft-repeated phrase that emerged during the 1970s Feminist Movements that states ďA woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.Ē Itís credited to Irnia Dunn, and appears on posters, T-shirts, and even in a U2 song. Overall itís a great quote for rethinking womenís independence and agency.

It appears that when trying to imagine two entirely unconnected things, Dunn perhaps seemed to think that there just werenít any connections between fish and bicycles. Certainly fish canít ride bikes.

Streetsblog asserts that fish do need bicycles.

Fish need pedestrians too.

And transit.

And, hey, if it's here already and I just missed it, feel free to delete. No big.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013

What I hate about this winter ..

What I hate about this winter (and I'm fairly new and stupid to the extent that I encountered it this year) is that, besides my main point, I forgot my main point -- is that it just sucks. !

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013

More of bad winter ....

One of the things that sucks -- the importance that cities, counties, and states -- absolutely insist on (a very certain version of) public safety for roads -- and in keeping them open at all costs -- especially in the North. Salt - Salt - Salt.

The other, and this really irks me, it's only the highways and roadways that receive attention - not the sidewalks. No plowing/salting of sidewalks (except, maybe, the CBD). No state, or city, or village, or town expends tax dollars to clear walkways like they do roads. ---News reports are replete with how many millions the local governments have spent salting and plowing .

---Too, if you walk in a road, automobile drivers act as if you have intruded on "their turf." I've seen this again and again, like the Chicagoan Federal Judge Bilandic -- Car-Boy, who must have thought he was was giving-payback to the mayor of Chicago for his (Bilandics's) own bicycle ineptitude, Yep.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Folk Hood View post
    One of the things that sucks -- the importance that cities, counties, and states -- absolutely insist on (a very certain version of) public safety for roads -- and in keeping them open at all costs -- especially in the North. Salt - Salt - Salt.

The other, and this really irks me, it's only the highways and roadways that receive attention - not the sidewalks. No plowing/salting of sidewalks (except, maybe, the CBD). No state, or city, or village, or town expends tax dollars to clear walkways like they do roads. ---News reports are replete with how many millions the local governments have spent salting and plowing .

---Too, if you walk in a road, automobile drivers act as if you have intruded on "their turf." I've seen this again and again, like the Chicagoan Federal Judge Bilandic -- Car-Boy, who must have thought he was was giving-payback to the mayor of Chicago for his (Bilandics's) own bicycle ineptitude, Yep.
    Here are my observations as a transportation planner in a four-season state:

Many Northern areas have begun to use more beet juice and less salt as recognition that salt is not the best thing for the environment. Besides getting into the streams, it also gets into the soils, plants, and eats up cars. Clearing roads is a necessary evil. Even if you use it as a way to defend lower VMT (vehicle miles travelled) you still need the clear ice-free roads for buses, shipping, and the occasional bicyclist. I would not want to be riding a bike on an icy road.

Another issue is govt cutbacks in road funding have hurt plowing. In my State local DPWs are being told to plow only one lane in each direction and wait for the melt. Well this means that the paved shoulders are not good for bikes or peds. This year we got snow in December, it only reached above 30 yesterday.

Sand is a poor replacement for salt in dense areas as the use of sand over time will clog storm sewers causing overloads on sanitary sewers. You don't want to flood everyone's basement with raw sewage.

This year sidewalks were simply awful. The snow came way to fast and too often for many who maintain the walks. It is kind of ironic that you will see bone-dry pavement in parking lots but the plows put all of the snow where? In the apron containing the sidewalks of course! The cops are also underfunded so the few that are on duty have better things to do than to write tickets for snow violations. This may sound flip, but I'm from Detroit where they are attending to murders, horrible car crashes due to the icy road conditions, and home evasions. Sidewalks do not even come close to being a priority for enforcement.

The rain garden shown in the article is one mitigation strategy we need more of, but it is not the only one. All of this stuff costs money and funding for bikes and mitigation was cut substantially with the new federal transportation bill (group enhancement, rec trails, safe routes to schools into one program called TAP at fund it at 70 percent of what the three programs used to be) along with all of the other categories.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Mar 2011, 10:21 AM
  2. Big Fish in the Pond
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Feb 2008, 2:59 PM
  3. Bicycles & garage storage design
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 30 Sep 2003, 11:56 AM