Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Duct Tape Forever

Registered
    Aug 2001

Duct Tape Forever

I saw the Red Green Movie last night. It was a special showing, introduced by Red himself. I'll admit that I went in with some fear that the TV show would not translate well onto the bg screen, but they pulled it off. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Even my friend who has never seen the show enjoyed it. Add several references to code violations and with the evil character a developer, this is a must see for all planners.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Am I dumb? Don't answer. Who the hell is Red Green?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Red Green is a TV show coming out of Canada. In the US, it is broadcast on PBS in about 85 markets. The show is set at a lodge in the north woods where the guys, er, well,... the guys are typical guys. Meaning they have their idiosyncracies. And they like duct tape. It satarizes the "north woods" perfectly. As my friend put it, kind of a cross between Bob & Doug McKenzie and Home Improvement.

Planning-related themes are common. Here are a few examples:

- The men try to convert an abandoned gold mine into an underground parking lot. In a flood district.
    - The men at the Lodge decide to convert their vehicles to run on firewood.
    - Following an accidental cement spill, Red and the boys decide to make Possum Lake into a water theme park.
    - A group of bandy-legged vegetarian filmmakers invade Possum Lodge to shoot a documentary on the environmental fallout of manly behavior.
    - Using the sewers, the men turn downtown Possum Lake into an indoor mall.

A great show.

The Red Green Show

Registered
    Sep 2001
    You forgot the best part of the show, when Red decides to build things out of old cars and household appliances. Kinda Martha Stewart for the redneck.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 1:57 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 Jun 2005, 5:29 AM
  3. The 100,459th use for duct tape...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 31 Dec 2002, 6:42 PM
  4. Solidarity Forever?
    Friday Afternoon Club