+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: On a lighter note...help me pick a puppy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mastiff mix!
    Mastiff mix!
    Mastiff mix!

Best dog I ever had was a mastiff/pit bull mix. And had a friend with a lab/mastiff mix (too big for you). You'd love a mastiff, too, but too big for you.

Mastiff rescue is a cool group... I used to help out when I was in MO. See the link for the MCOA in your area:

http://www.mastiff.net/RESCUE.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2000

Re: Might be TMI

Originally posted by PlannerGirl

he picks at the seams of the carpet and EATS it-leading to a big hair ball in the tummy and 2am throw up parties *that sound is GROSS*

d
    I would much rather listen to a person throw up than a dog, any day! One of the worst, most gut wrenching (literally) sounds ever.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Re: Might be TMI

lol my beagle, Trooper, eats the rocks from the yard and the mortar from around the bricks of the house.

oh yha and hes a carpet muncher-stop laughing Mike

he picks at the seams of the carpet and EATS it-leading to a big hair ball in the tummy and 2am throw up parties *that sound is GROSS*

d
    my dog is a carpet muncher too- since we have burber carpet he starts chewing it, and then pulls so it starts to run, and then just follows it around the room until he's done eating-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    lol so does it look like hes eating spigetti *i cant spell that word to save my life*???

and no bturk-it means Trooper wakes me up with a sound that any puppy parent would know, and then i get to chase him around as he leaves me yellow lummpy treats in the dark-before the other dog eats it

YUCK

as for the next dog id like to have-Irish Wolfhound
    big gray things-sweet but aloof and quiet
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    it's spaghetti for sure! I totally know the dog mom sonar, I mean, I could hear my dog getting sick no matter where I was in the house. I run to him with a towel, hold him still, pull his big ears back, and make sure he throws up on the towel.

I'm worse with my cats, they get scooped up and ran to the nearest sink.

There is also the mandatory "drink water" period afterward too, I will not allow my dog to lick me after that. After the water he gets cuddled and usually hams it up like he's such a poor puppy..

Can anyone tell I HATE stains?

Registered
    Oct 2000

Re: Dog mom sonar

Just the beginning part, the kind of burping hiccup - totally sends me sprinting through the house to make sure I can get her to the bathroom or kitchen (linoleum and tile flooring - so much easier to clean) in time. Rob's parents have it the worst though. Their one dog, Hooch, is a rabid poop eater (literally hovers over their other dog while she does her business). Wins the award for worst dog vomit ever.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ok yall did it-i snarfled all over my keyboard! sigh

one of my friends dog eats the cats...stuff from the litter box

talk about NASTY dog breath.

dogs do some STRANGE things
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ah yes.. kitty cookies. Hatcher loves them! We've had to place the litter box under the stairs to where he can't get to it butthe cats can.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My parents live way out in the middle of nowhere, and they throw their kitty litter over the side of a hill. When the dogs come to visit grandma and grandpa, as soon as their let out of the car, they run right over the bank. blargh.

Christine - are you sure you want a dog? they really are so gross.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh yeah, at the ranch if you let any "city" dogs out there the first thing they do if find the largest pile of dung and roll around. It's gross!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by KMateja
    Yeah, all that licking themselves all the time too! Jeez. If I could do that, I'd never leave the house!

Registered
    Dec 2001

one of my friends dog eats the cats...stuff from the litter box
    Or better known as "Litter Robbin' " in my house. The dog knows that he is doomed to sleep in the crate and not in bed when he does that, but he doesn't care. He can't get enough of those yummy treats.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Ok, I read the headline way to quick. I thought it said:
    On a lighter note...help me kick a puppy.
    Is that related to the kitten killing (or whatever the heck it is) thing?! I don' t think I was around when that started and have really no clue what it means - not really sure if I *want* to know

Ummm.. I was this morning, now I'm not so sure!!! I definately won't show this thread to Chad...he'd use it proof why we shouldn't get a dog. However.....I think I have a way of having him relent. I started talking this morning about having a baby, and he said "We've only been married two weeks...let's get a puppy instead!!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by bturk

Yeah, all that licking themselves all the time too! Jeez. If I could do that, I'd never leave the house!
    Buy a dog! I'm sure he won't mind you doing that to him at all!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2002
    lol someone wanna fill her in on what killing the kitty is off list-afterall she is newly married and hopefuly wont be needing such for a while

i did the same thing to my ex husband when we got married-
    after sex, laying there all cuddled up he was a softy and id sweetly croon and i snuggled in closer

"honey, puppy...honey...pppuuuppyyyyy"

it was that or a baby-i got my first dog within a month of marriage, the next was 6 months later, the last one was a year and a half later (i learned not to have too many baby puppies in the house at the same time.

get him while he still has that screwy grin on his face and hes half asleep-if you play your cards right you wil get whatever you want (with in reason)

d

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I definitely definitely definitely recommend having a dog (especially a puppy) before having kids. all the cleaning up poop and vomit, and destructiveness, but when they look at you with those big eyes and give you a snuggle ... sigh. i wouldn't trade my two monkey dogs for anything.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'll be a trooper and revive the kittens:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'd have to second getting a dog before making a baby. I've realized how much more time I'm going to need with a child. A dog is a big commitment, and I'm learning how to pick up after something else, other than James, and learning patience.

It's not like I can right hook a child, but I swear if Hatcher ever pees on me again he's going to get it.. he did it for the third time two days ago while I was making dinner. Ugh.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Let me make a pitch for rescue organizations. You can get a dog after its "puppy years" that is already trained, and because of the care they get before being placed, you can know something of their disposition before adopting it.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Recuse is a great source!

Michael Stumpf is right on.

I adopted Tasha, my basenji, through Basenji Rescue and Transport. Their volunteer visited me at home (the volunteer's dog pooped and peed on my carpet ), made very sure that I knew what I was in for and then hooked me up with her previous owners. I don't regret it at all. (Although a basenji and rain is NOT a good combination. She is not happy when wet. We actually had lightening and thunder 15 minutes ago-in California!!!!)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I highly recommend a Springer Spaniel. I have a black-and-white field-bred Springer and he is great! A Springer meets all of your requirements, and they are great with kids.

I have had Brittany Spaniels, too, and they are DUMB. My Springer is much smarter than any Brittany that I have ever been around. Brittany's tend to be kind of hyper, too, unless they get to run around alot. (Insert Brittany Spears joke here.)

I also highly recommend working with a rescue organization for whichever breed you choose.

Here is a photo of my dog with my kids:

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ok that wins the "awwww" award

If it's any help, I grew up around collies (specifically border collies), beagles, cocker spaniels and wheaten terriers. The collies get my vote as they are (generally) super intelligent and sweet natured, but they should be worked some how because they can often get bored just being pets. Which leads to them being some of the most neurotic animals you'll ever meet (i.e. nuts). The beagles were social, but not terribly smart. The spaniels were very 'memememememememe'. the wheatens looked like sheep with fangs and tended to act like it.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    sheep with fangs? humm is that too scare off the lonely farm boys?

giggles that was an interesting mental picture this early

*goes back to her morning soda*

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Let me make a pitch for rescue organizations. You can get a dog after its "puppy years" that is already trained, and because of the care they get before being placed, you can know something of their disposition before adopting it.
    My first Keeshond came from a pet store. My second Keeshond came from a rescue down in Champaign Urbana. We let the pup pick out the other. We knew it was a match made in heaven when the two started humpin' each other. LOL

The feeling you get when an abused and lonely dog finally begins to trust you is awesome.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. we got a puppy!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 17 Apr 2006, 9:54 AM
  2. The Puppy Mover
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Mar 2006, 8:04 PM
  3. My new puppy makes five