Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduate student seeking advice for data science + urban planning project

Registered
    May 2014

Graduate student seeking advice for data science + urban planning project

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student in a master's program studying analytics and I've been tasked with the following:

Create a model for the neighborhoods of San Francisco that can quantify the increase/decrease in crime as a result of new development projects.

My main dataset is here: https://data.sfgov.org/Public-Safety...nths/gxxq-x39z

Ideas I've had so far:
    - Will the development of Golden Warriors stadium in downtown SF change the crime outlook?
    - How much additional crime will events/parades like Pride Week bring to the city?
    - How do cruise lines landing in the city correlate with crime?
    - How is the crime outlook different in baseball season than in football season?
    - How much more crime will the new Santa Clara-based 49ers stadium bring to that area?

I plan on using a wide variety of datasets to supplement this research, like graffiti locations: https://data.sfgov.org/Service-Reque...orts/vyt7-q4b9

The goal of this project is to give the police department an informed look of how they should staff certain areas and buy additional resources to counteract the effects of these events.

I know almost nothing about urban planning, and I feel like knowledge of the field could be of great use to this project. If you have any advice about datasets or directions to take with this, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It seems like you have some good data to use. I would caution that crime is correlated with many other issues besides what you have termed development. For instance, I recall reading that weather can have an impact. You might also see different kinds of criminal activity associated with different conditions.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Aug 2013, 5:01 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Nov 2012, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Apr 2009, 3:41 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Apr 2008, 11:48 AM
  5. Replies: 5