Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Map accuracy- GPS systems & mapping software programs

Registered
    Jun 2014

Map accuracy- GPS systems & mapping software programs

Hi all,
    In my town, there's a new driveway being constructed for a building, but currently, all of the GPS systems (i.e. Magellan, Garmin) and mapping software programs (i.e. Google Maps) direct people to the old driveway on a different street. Does my town need to do anything to reflect the change (do we need to submit a new map of the surrounding area?), or is it just a matter of reporting the error to base map information companies (i.e. TomTom/TeleAtlas, HERE/NavTeq?) Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

You could send a copy of the aerial map (if updated) showing the new location of the driveway to the various map companies web help email address. There is a certain lag time (6 months to a year) correcting for newly completed work. I thought for a minute this thread would discuss the age old battle between surveyors and GIS
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Oct 2013
    Try Open Street Map (OSM). www.openstreetmap.org

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 19 Jun 2013, 8:49 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Feb 2011, 4:35 PM
  3. TransPlan and Viper Software Programs