Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Holiday

Registered
    Dec 1998

Holiday

Today must be a holiday for most of the regular Cyburbianites. It's been incredibly quiet today.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was thinking the same. Woah is us!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Even when I worked for the city, we never had Veteran's Day off. It was substituted for the day after Thanksgiving, which, ironically, is already a state holiday.

First Columbus Day, now this. What next, Flag Day?

Hey Brian what happened to the Badgers this year? Is Alvarez's time finally up?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    im not off today but home sick as a dog
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just called a consultant's office... the secretary was surprised I called, she was trying to figure out why a government office was open today. So I guess some people do have the day off, just not all of us!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This is why I hate Veteran's Day...

A veteran...like me is working. While most people who are off are not veterans.

Beautiful isn't it.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Badgers? What Badgers?

Originally posted by mugbub1
    First Columbus Day, now this. What next, Flag Day?

Hey Brian what happened to the Badgers this year? Is Alvarez's time finally up?
    We're all paying attention to the Packers now!

Before I got into the public sector, all I ever heard about was how the government has all these days off...now I have friends in the private sector who are off and I am here working. Blah!

The Badgers stink! If their Offensive Coordinator is not fired at the end of the season, I will be shocked.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mike DV,
    I took the day off with one of my personal days. I went out of town and had a few suds with an old Army budy. I wish you could have been there.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our offices were closed, but I was at the National Trails Symposium in Orlando with several hundred other folks. And the roads were so crowded, it didn't seem like a holiday, I don't think too many people had the day off around here!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    This is why I hate Veteran's Day...

A veteran...like me is working. While most people who are off are not veterans.

Beautiful isn't it.
    I'm right there with you. Anyone who is a veteran should have the day off by right, not have to work from 8 to 5 and then attend meetings from 5 to 9.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've been conditioned to having the day after the USMC birthday off. There is always a buge bash for the birthday in South Philly. The Marine who owned the bar just died last week, a couple of days before teh party. the party still went on though, just like he'd want it.

I remember about 6 years ago, they landed a CH-53 on Oregon Ave in Philly (where the party is), and out came a Brig General and a couple of Colonels.

That's why I love the Marine Corps, no officer is too good to hang out with a private on the birthday.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    We had the day off, and yes, I called my favorite veteran (my dad) to thank him, and not just for getting me the day off.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Had the day off, spent it with my daughter (whose Day Care was closed), visited my grandfather's grave (WWII vet) in the rain and left a flag. Told my daughter about my "Papa" and that he would have loved her.

That's how I spent the holiday.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001

We had off...

Yet, I came in to work on several things anyway...

How's that fit into your lazy government worker theory, Mugs?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Yet, I came in to work on several things anyway...

How's that fit into your lazy government worker theory, Mugs?

I'm proud of ya, big dog. Far be it from me to accuse you of bellying up to the trough of civil service. Missed ya on the forums, though...you sure you came in and were able to refrain from posting?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm proud of ya, big dog. Far be it from me to accuse you of bellying up to the trough of civil service. Missed ya on the forums, though...you sure you came in and were able to refrain from posting?
    I read a couple... But I was busy getting things done. I knew I had X amount to do, and once X was done... I was gone. Meanwhile, during a regular day (when other people are working), there is "wait time".

You do realize I am at work maybe 60 hours a week, right? I work a MINIMUM of five nine hour days, then do week-end time. Add at least one night meeting, and you've got my schedule.

I went in at 9:30 last Thursday, figuring I'd do at least 10 hours with the council meeting, right? It ends up lasting until after 10 p.m. So I ask you... is there time in a 12.5 hour day to post a few thought, jokes, or rants on a planning message board?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

After Hour Meetings Blow

I understand how crappy the time demands of a planner are. I despise night meetings. Another reason for me to get out. What get's me is that they try to force me to go to ribbon cuttings, ceremonies, etc- and I try like hell to skip them. Post away Mastiff- I guess you've earned it tough guy.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: After Hour Meetings Blow

I understand how crappy the time demands of a planner are. I despise night meetings. Another reason for me to get out. What get's me is that they try to force me to go to ribbon cuttings, ceremonies, etc- and I try like hell to skip them. Post away Mastiff- I guess you've earned it tough guy.
    I like the newer friendlier -- but still sufficiently jaded -- mugbub!

BTW - I have another 16 hour day today which will cap off with 4 public hearings and a council meeting, so don't mind my posting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. On Holiday in the UK
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Mar 2009, 5:16 AM
  2. Birthday on a Holiday
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Mar 2009, 2:18 PM
  3. MLK Jr Day as a Holiday
    Friday Afternoon Club