Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question and kinda rant-

Registered
    Dec 2001

Question and kinda rant-

Okay, I'm not going to act like I understand this mentality.. could someone that is in a supervisory position explain why this would be happening?

We've got a Senior Planner who, since I've worked here, has displayed a really poor work ethic. All the other planners have noticed as well. He was hired to be our supervisor but because he's been messing up, missing days during probation, taking 3 hour lunches, stood up other staff members on BIG projects so one of us (in positions lower than his, Assoc. Planners, Planner 1, etc) had to cover for him, and can't get his memos done to save his life (and even delays getting the packets ready) he hasn't been given the responsibility.. how is it that he got off probation and gets away with this? He also likes to treat me like his underling and tries to get me to do some of his work.

It's causing a disturbance in that everyone gets really on edge when we're in a time crunch because we can't find him. He always comes by my office and tells me to let our boss know he's leaving, etc. It's gotten to the point snide comments are made during our staff meetings about him- one in particular he commented about me being a few minutes late because I went and made copies for our boss and another person spoke up in my defense. Whenever anyone messes up now it's referred to as "pullin' a [insert his name here]".

I just don't see how this happens and how it's just let go, perhaps I'm just naive in this situation-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, that's your perception, and the perception of most of your peers. Has anyone directly discussed this with the dept. head or the employee's immediate supervisor ? What has been the supervisor's reponses?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    OK, that's your perception, and the perception of most of your peers. Has anyone directly discussed this with the dept. head or the employee's immediate supervisor ? What has been the supervisor's reponses?
    It seems like everyone is kind of "scared" to bring it up because he's really busy all the time, beyond that we think he'd also notice. I know the admins go in there all the time and say "do you know if he's coming back today- he's been gone for 4 hours.."

His supervisor is our supervisor and hears all of the comments and has even been overheard making the same or yelling at this guy for unrelated things. I do know other departments have discussed this with him as they were stood up for meetings, but no one has seen any change-

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh my God!! Are you sure you don't work at my old job....you're giving me flashbacks with that description.

The problem the way I see it is, that most Dept Heads, Supervisors, whatever in gov't have no management experience, they are simply the person who has been in the department the longest or some political appointee.

In the case of my old job, we had one particular individual who fits the description you just gave to a tee. Everyone knew she was worthless, but nobody ever did anything about it. Get this, her buddy, who was the director, wrote her up for some award for excellence the county gave out one year. That was pretty much the final straw for everyone who worked there.

I don't think anyone ever said anything to her either, they would just reassign her work, and do on like nothing ever happened.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Maybe the boss doesn't want to admit he made a mistake hiring the guy? I've seen this over and over. They can really get into denial when one of their chosen people ends up being a loser.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm with Zoning Goddess. If he was crappy even during probation, there is no other reason to keep him/her on.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ugh. Someone joked about starting an underground office pool betting on when he gets canned. His case load just went to hell- from about 7 variances to nothing. Everyone is bracing, some are plotting on how to best get into that position, I'm just sick of the morale being so low.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 270
    Last post: 07 Aug 2014, 4:54 PM
  2. Fetal position/desk fort kinda days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 18 Jan 2011, 9:53 AM
  3. It's kinda bad
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Dec 2000, 8:28 PM